Lower control arm bushings

Rexsname

Explorer
My wife was involved in an accident last week, She was not hurt and the truck was not damaged.

When we had the truck inspected, they let me know that they would not be able to align it because the lower control arm bushings and lower ball joints were worn beyon specs. The truck has about 201,000 miles on it.

I have received quotes ranging from $775 plus alignment to $1375 including alignment.

Do these quotes sound reasonable? Would it be better or cheaper to purchase complete lower control arms as an assembley?

REX

BLKNBLU

Explorer
With those quotes, yes, that could quite possibly be your best bet. Toyota Parts Sales (TRDParts4U) lists LCA's for $169 and the description clearly states lower ball joints included. The illustration gives the impression that they will come with bushings as well. Check with them to verify. They are very helpful.

I did a rebuild on my front end and they quoted me CA's that included bushings. I didn't get them and in the long run it was a good thing as I'm now straight axled 3 yrs later, BUT if I had kept the IFS I'd be kicking myself now. The bushing swap was a PITA, and the aftermarket poly bushings were stiff and SQUEAKY and awful. It was on an '86 so something of a different animal but for this situation I would bet similar enough. Did I mention the poly bushings were squeaky?

TRDParts4U was excellent. Linky:
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...182&callout=11&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

JJackson

Explorer
Those lower bushings can go bad, we had some fun aligning my truck in the garage after the lift. Been thinking of replacing them at the time I crank up the CO's for a little more lift.

Rexsname

Explorer
I guess I should be thankful that they have lasted as long as they have. 201,000 miles is a long, long ways. Thank you for the link to the control arms, I think that will be the way to go. I would rather have factory new parts anyways

REX

peekay

Adventurer
The LCA are a pain in the butt to replace. I replaced mine with poly ones on my old truck (01 Taco Dcab). It involves basically tearing the entire front suspension apart, as well as loosening the steering rack. Took me a full day (8+ hours) and I was pretty familiar with the Taco suspension.

Even if you were to get new arms, you'd still have to loosen the steering rack. But I'd rather have fresh arms with the factory bushings than the poly ones.

Rexsname

Explorer
I ordered the complete lower control arms this afternoon. I will have them installed rather than tear the truck apart myself.

REX

Verde Rat

Weekend Warrior
UCA & LCA bushings

I know I’m bringing back an old thread. But, this seems like an appropriate place to talk about control arm bushings.

I have been planning on going through the front-end of my 2000 tundra to replace the UCA & LCA bushings with the Daystar poly bushings. I decided to order the poly bushing replacements for the UCA & LCA because; I figured they would be better suited for a truck with larger and more aggressive tires. Now, I’m starting to wonder if should have ordered the OEM rubber bushings? Have any of you guys had experience with the Daystar poly bushings?

Since, I’m already planning on tearing into the control arms; I figured that I may as well replace the steering rack & sway bar bushings with poly bushings and replace the lower ball joints. I’m in the process of picking up all the parts now, and I’m planning to do the work around the end of the month. This will be one of the largest projects I have taken on my self and any suggestions you guys my have to help with the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks…

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Use a silicone grease where ever the urethane slides on metal. Not all urethanes like normal dino based grease. No idea about pure synthetic, but silicone is known to work and is sold by Energy Suspension and Baker Precision for this specific use. It is nasty stuff to get off of your skin, probably will never come out of clothing. Just so that you known going in.....

onelastcast

Buying the LCA new with bushings might not be a bad idea but if you are handy with tools and don't mind wrenching for a couple of hours, installing the energy suspension bushings is the way to go.
I use Teflon grease to eliminate the squeaking and increase life; has worked great. To remove them, use your handy dandy propane torch to get them start and watch them melt right off. After about 3-5 minutes of them catching on fire, you can speed the process by carefully push them out with a long pry or flat head to avoid getting burned. I seen tons of guys do this way and I've done it myself and it works great. Then just clean the residue and install new ones. Don't forget the grease.

This method also works on the big center bushings on the RP. You gotta be a little quick here though to avoid toasting the internal seals.
Toyota stealership does not sell the center & top bushing of the Tacoma but they will sell you a new RP for over 900 a pop. Energy suspension does sell replacement bushing for the RP as well.

GL next time!

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I recommend doing some searching on the TTORA forum. There are a couple guys over there that have had bad luck with the poly bushings not lasting in the lower arms and the consensus was to stay with factory bushings.

nucktaco

Adventurer
that alignment seems pretty expensive. it costs 75.60 with taxes for a 4wheel alignment on a car here. or a front wheel alignment for $35.

with the prices you gave on the previous page it looks like it was gona cost over 400 to have the alignment?

Verde Rat

Weekend Warrior
Good Information

Thanks for the information guys!

I’m kind of committed right now to using the poly bushings at the LCA, but I’ll take a look at what the guys over at TTORA have to say about them. Worst case scenario, I wont use the poly bushing I just bought and, I’ll pick up some OEM ones. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

So fare I purchased:
• Teflon silicone
• UCA/LCA Poly Bushings
• Energy Suspension’s steering rack bushing kit (poly)

Items I need to get:
• Lower Ball joints ($110ea.)
• Sway bar bushing kit (poly) ($20)
• Passenger side tie-rod boot ($20)

Monty

From my experience...

Poly bushings don't last nearly as long as factory ones. The middle of the bushing where the steel sleeve slides into will eventually get larger and sloppy. Poly is better suited for compression applications, such as sway bar bushings.

I went as far as machining my Camburg UCAs to accept the factory bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles