Lower control arm bushings

ji603

Observer
I know we're going on almost a year here, but how did OP find the front suspension work went? I've just learned that my alignment cams in the LCAs on my 01 Tacoma are frozen as well, and just sitting there looking at them it doesn't look pretty.

Matter of fact - doesn't even look like the lower control arm would come off until the cam/bolt/pin comes out .... and the rack is in the way. :(

Are people just cutting through the cam bolt, buying OEM lower control arms w new bushings, and new alignment cam bolts? Wish toyota greased those things... now I can't even get PB blaster in the area.

Rexsname

Explorer
I ordered the parts from TRD of Dallas, took the parts and truck to the allignment shop, watched the magic happen and the truck is happy now.......

No problems since,

REX

Verde Rat

Weekend Warrior
Well I finally found some time to change out the UCA bushings with the Daystar Poly bushings. I ended up torching out the old ones and in the process I made quite the mess. I also replaced the steering rack bushing and sway bar bushings with the poly bushings. Because, I ran out of time I wasn’t able to get to the LCA bushings. This might be a good thing. After hearing some of the poor reviews of the poly bushings used in the control arm application, I may go with the OEM bushing on the LCA.

After getting a good look at the LCA configuration, I might just have a mechanic install those bushings and save myself the grief.

On that note, does anyone now a good mechanic on the north side of Phoenix?

I know we're going on almost a year here, but how did OP find the front suspension work went? I've just learned that my alignment cams in the LCAs on my 01 Tacoma are frozen as well, and just sitting there looking at them it doesn't look pretty.

Matter of fact - doesn't even look like the lower control arm would come off until the cam/bolt/pin comes out .... and the rack is in the way. :(

Are people just cutting through the cam bolt, buying OEM lower control arms w new bushings, and new alignment cam bolts? Wish toyota greased those things... now I can't even get PB blaster in the area.

Yes, you will need to drop the steering rack down in order to remove the cam/bolt. You shouldn’t have to cut the cam bolt. I think you would need to remove the LCA completely in order to remove the bushings.

Remote

Observer

Frozen cams are pretty common. They must be cut thru and they are very hard steel. They just laugh at Sawzall blades so have plenty on hand. The cam has 2 parts, only the part with the tube must be cut so no need to buy both halves.
Putting new bushings in the old arms is no big thing if you have a press. I do but still got new arms. The old ones will be re-bushed if this service is needed again. New arms come with installed bushings but not lower ball joints as the online descriptions imply.
The poly bushings for the 95.5-04 Tacoma control arms, upper and lower, do fail rather quickly, lube or no lube and are kind of a joke with Tacoma folks.
Anti-seize goes without saying on the install and make sure to put the full torque on the cam bolts (96 lbs) after alignment or they will slip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier