Here is a product idea I’ve been kicking around for some time now and was hoping to get some feedback from the Expo community.
What if? There was a DIY Trailer / Roof top tent available? If it had an expedition / outfitter quality, canvas tent body but, you had to put in some “sweat equity” by building the folding based?
How does putting in some “sweat equity” appeal to folks?
Feedback, input, thoughts would all be greatly appreciated.
Also for folks with trailers, how tall are they? For gauging the range of height a changing room floor would need to deal with.
- Plans / guide available for building a base which includes hinge set.
- Plans / guide for DIY bows and bows sets available.
“Standard” folding, instant up design, with a few awning poles but no stakes or guide wires.
- Fabric would be highly water resistant, breathable marine quality canvas.
- Floor dimensions around 56” wide x 84” long.
- Design optimizations for trailer top applications, such as a taller door than standard RTTs so you can have an integrated awning over the door that is setup for a zip on changing room.
- In some trailer top applications, half of the folding floor could be the trailers top / lid.
- A retail price of $700-$900 for tent body, hinge set, and bow set.
- Notably less to ship that a standard RTT.
- Changing room, with full floor would retail for $225-$300
- Not sure what to do about a mattress, it’s hard to have a “one size fits all” solution.
- I know a ladder would be needed for Rooftop applications, but have not looked at this detail yet.
Here are working prototype pictures of the tent body
What do folks think?
** Update Info 11/08/09 **
For a while now I’ve been working on an innovative, new twist to the folding rooftop style tent unit. A design optimized for Tent Topped Camping Trailer usage with an add-on room, outfitter grade materials and made here in the USA.
Well I'm happy that it's almost a reality, sewing should start on the first batch in a few weeks!
I'm planning on calling it a M.O.A.B. (Mobile Outdoor Adventure Bedroom) tent unit.
As I discussed, there is a twist, it’s designed as a DIY project. They will come as a kit and you build your own folding platform. The kit will included tent body, bows, bow hardware, base hinges and misc hardware. In many trailer applications, half of the folding floor can be the top of your trailer.
To ensure the highest quality and craftsmanship I’ve partnered with Kirkham’s Outdoor Products, the award winning maker of Springbar Tents on this project. MOABs will be sewn right here in the USA.