DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent

tommudd

Explorer
Looks like things are progressing right along even if it is a somewhat slower pace than you wanted.
Was wondering since I had not heard anything for a while now!
Looks great like I said, keep up the good work!
Tom

compactcamping

Explorer
Digs, yes, 56" is the front to rear dimension on my trailer in the pictures and 84" is the dimension hanging over the side of the trailer. If your trailer is 41" tall you have plenty of room to work with, my trailer pictured earlier is 44" tall.

I need to weight it, my guess is 25-35 lbs, the bows breakdown so it packs small for easy shipping. Compared to shipping a standard RTT, I expect shipping costs to be maybe a 1/3 or less.

The change room prototype was made from a high-quality 200D coated nylon. At this time I'm planning on using it instead of canvas because it's much easier to clean with the ground contact than canvas.

Yes the project is moving slower than I'd like, although my philosophy is different than MicroSoft's, I want to get it right before I release it :D It will definitely be ready for early Spring 2010 and I expect to have some available before the end of the year.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Wow! I don't know how I missed this thread. I am very impressed. It is encouraging to see people building something that works better for then than off the shelf stuff. Cheers!

mcunningham25

Love it!

I have been looking at RTT's for a while but just cant afford it. I can build just abut anything though. A couple of thoughts from my point, zippers on the inside (dont like the idea of getting out to do up the windows), weight (min. is better), water proof is a must, adjustable legs(some of the best spots is on unlevel ground). There is a guy in Twin Falls Idaho named Kevin Jogensen at Jorgensen Fabrics that has done alot of stuff like this. He makes boat covers, wall tents, custom jeep tops and such. I talked to him last year about a custom rtt canvas and he was all for it jut need to come up with the plans for it. I also think a self inflating bed would be great. I have a TJ so space is a huge issue. It would be a great thing though. Keep all of us posted!:wings:

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks ...

As you'll notice, from my first prototype, to the production prototype, I switched to inside window flaps. Making this change, I was also able to improve the window design for great ventilation in poor weather.

Yes keeping weight to a minimum is a good objective, although when designing for longevity, some extra weight will work it's way in.

I prefer to have fixed legs that go from the platform bottom to the trailer frame. That way the folding part of the platform is alway level to the portion fixed on the trailer top. Then you level the trailer. You can also use an adjustable ladder on the folding portion typical on RTTs.

Yes, keeping the elements out is important, getting wet is no fun.

Using a self-inflating mattress will give you additional storage space inside the tent when it's folded up.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
'My' TrailBlazer has it's support leg intended to make ground contact. It always takes some fiddling to get it set right. One of my projects for the trailer is to convert this to index on the trailer's frame. One setting only. Then I can do it in the dark in the pouring rain and know that it is right the first time.

compactcamping

Explorer
Yes, supporting the platform to the frame like a traditional tent trailer does, simplifies setup. Then you can rapidly level it using a 2-way bubble level.

26173n1.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I use one of the circular bubbles VHB'd to the top of the trailer, which happens to be the surface that the mattress lays on, but the idea is the same. Located the level where I could see it while operating the tongue jack.

jeeper92

Adventurer
very very interestd

I am watching this and waiting for these to go on sale.........any idea what the cost is going to be?

jeeper92

Adventurer
nevermind saw the rest of the thread , sorry
Please let me know when these go into production

will they be water proof?

compactcamping

Explorer
Fabric details:
The performance and longevity comes from premium grade fabric. The main tent body is made from a 10.1 oz, 100% cotton, Army duck canvas. You might be asking, where is the rainfly? It doesn't need one. This is an extremely water resistant fabric that remaining cool and comfortable in hot humid conditions. It will not wick if touched when raining and is very good at keeping desert dust out making it popular at events like Burning Man.

A 100% cotton fabric is nearly unaffected by sun exposure and will outlast most synthetic fabrics many times over. They provide excellent tear-resistance and long-term durability. When other synthetic fabric expedition tents were getting shredded on a National Geographic Mt. Everest climb at their 21,000' basecamp, it was a cotton canvas tent survived 40 days of pounding without a problem.

For the technically inclined, the fabric is a Sunforger boat-shrunk marine-finish duck. This canvas is a double-fill material made up of two yarns twisted together in a durable "one-up, one-down" construction. It has over 100 tough little double-fill threads per square inch, resulting in a very tight uniform weave that is naturally water resistant. For extra insurance against water intrusion, the canvas is double-dipped in a Sunforger silicone treatment. You can't feel this treatment, it's integral to the fabric — not simply applied to the surface. This "dry-finish" treatment is extremely durable, lasting up to decades. It also makes the canvas mildew resistant.

Not waterproof, but very water resistant, the silicone treatment makes rain bead up and roll off nicely, and it doesn't wick moisture in if you touch it in the rain. Not sure what the measurement on a hydrostatic head pressure test / column test is for the fabric, I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited:

compactcamping

Explorer
It has a name!

After much pondering, I've finally decided on a name for the DIY Trailer Top tent. A M.O.A.B. (Mobile Outdoor Adventure Bedroom) tent unit.

What do people think?

Also, I can now share that I'm working with Kirkham’s Outdoor Products, the award winning maker of Springbar Tents to turn this project into reality. So you can expect the same high quality and craftmanship that you find in their line of tents in the MOAB.

Should have a schedule for making the first small batch of these by the end of next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94