DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback and questions.

You’ll be building the folding platform which the tent mounts to. Depend on your trailer box, half the platform can be the top of it. Then you attach the tent body and bow set to it.

There are two primary areas differentiating a MOAB tent from Mombasa / Campinglab tents. First is fabric, the fabrics used in Mombasa / Campinglab tents fall into the consumer grade category. A MOAB uses outfitter grade canvas more on par with Autohome and Eezi-Awn tent fabrics. So your price comparison should be based somewhere between them. Second is having an integrated standup changing room. In most trailer applications, a Mombasa / Campinglab tent is mounted too low for using their under tent changing room.

compactcamping

Explorer
Here are a couple of pictures of the color scheme changes from the prototype. The roof is now white and the sides are a solid color.

4307372028_9117b393cc.jpg
4307372062_b30ec96d04.jpg

Last edited:

jrose609

Explorer
Overall weight will be more a function of material choice when building your platform. I'll be putting together some weight estimates for various construction and material choices. I would expect most tent / platform combinations for a roof top application to be 100-110 lbs. It would be easy to get that down to 50-60 lbs, although the trade-off is cost. Shaving pounds isn't cheap.

Can you elaborate? I'm interested in an RTT, but a light one. How can I make a 40 lb cut in the overall weight?

compactcamping

Explorer
Jrose609, with a MOAB tent unit in a rooftop application, you'd be looking at an expensive carbonfiber composite platform to cut that much weight.

Sounds like what you're looking for is an Oasis II Rooftop Tent, they are the lightest ones I know of at 50 lbs.

3318973339_a58da8aa7d.jpg

keithro

Adventurer
I'll echo the need for a matching color changing room....the other one looks horrible.

For roof top tents, the changing room should extend further back (up to vehicle)

If I'm going to be putting this on a platform, why the need for the extra weight and cost of a sewn in floor?

I can't seem to find any pictures of the travel cover or of the tent folded.....Would love to know folded profile dimensions. This is of upmost importance to me, I don't want a 12" high tent on my roof rack.

Design in some hinge adjustability for different thickness mattresses, bedding.

Why not offer a cut to fit mattress as an option for people as I think 80-90% of people will want one?

How well do the snaps/lash loops keep out the elements when the winds start blowing up under the tent?

Ladder plans?

The you tube video was okay, but you didn't show it opening/closing.....would be nice to see that process.

Interior storage pockets? Definitely nice to have, how about doing a backpacking tent style gear loft in it. Those are extremely useful to have.

I prefer the ratchet style tent cover instead of a bunch of snaps, might consider this.

How is ventilation when the side windows are closed? Seems like a small hooded vent on the opposite of the door might be appropriate so you can leave the top of the door cracked and still get some flow through ventilation during a storm.

You gave a link to a foam mattress supplier, but what kind of foam is preferred as they offer quite a few different options?

compactcamping

Explorer
Keithro, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

Using a full sewn in floor was a design decision for providing increased flexibility with some other usage ideas over time.

Here is a picture with the cover on, it does have a similar ~12" height as other RTTs when folded.
4426688563_59f032c19b.jpg

For mattresses, bottom line, for the low volumes I'm dealing with, others can do it better and cheaper. Makes more sense just to send people their way. For my personal tent, I'm using their 3" HD36 Regular Medium foam. I'm in the 165 lbs range.

So far I have not found wind blowing under the tent to happen, although I have not been out in more than light gusts at this point.

My initial focus is Trailer Top mounting, so I have not put much time into a "production ready" ladder. That said, I do have a few solutions that would take minimal fab work on the customer side.

I'm working on some gear organizing/storage solutions that will be general purpose and usable in RTT also.

The side windows have an overlaping flap and tie design that always them to be partial open for ventilation while keeping the elements out. In the picture notice where the zipper is at the top of the window.
side-window-open-sm.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks, the platform height range for the changing room is 40"-60". With a platform height of 40" there is just at 6' clearance under the awning bow.

DrMacZed

That is really, really, cool and well engineered. I will have to make a point to go to Salem and take a look at it in person one day soon. I have questions...

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Very nice. I especially like the changing room portion.
I am currently trying to figure a way to make something similar to attach to
the back of my XJ to give me more space to move about.

compactcamping

Explorer
Maximus Ram, should be pretty straight forward to sew up something that goes over the rear hatch. Maybe there is one of those hatch / tailgate tents available for the XJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier