DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I think also having a setup adaptable to make a poor mans FlilPac / Wildernest shell would be a great thing. As much as I'd love to buy a FlipPac they are overpriced IMO, and I dont need anything as expensive/elaborate as the FWC offerings.

Mayne

Explorer
What about an alternative fabric, like sunbrella. When looking at the possibility of building my own tent, I found that some of the other fabrics used for boat tops, like sunbrella don't have the shrinkage that canvas does, thus being more forgiving to work with. The only thing keeping me from doing building my own, is the ability to put the fabric together. The only down to that, is that I don't know if the breath ability is less.
Also I do like the thought of a trailer tent, as they are fewer and farther between.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I would be very interested. I prefer doing things myself, for cost savings, for reassurance that it was done right (or at least I can only blame myself) and so I know the product better. If it needs repairs, I'll have a better idea of how to do it. I would be VERY interested if it would be (big) dog friendly. Part of what has kept me away from the tent trailer idea is that the idea of lifting two 80 lbs old dogs in and out of a tent that high is off putting. A clamshell would be a home run for me! :victory:

compactcamping

Explorer
It would be very helpful if some folks could go out in the garage and measure how tall their Trailers are, thanks?

Interesting idea, using it for a Flip-Pac like camper. I can see how that might work, although it would need a custom changing room section to form the stand up / climb into bed portion.

Sunbrella is a possible fabric, it has many of the positive attributes that a quality Army Duck canvas has.

My Border Collie will easily have plenty of room to sleep at the end of the tent, I'm not so sure about two 80 lb dogs. Although the changing room floor will have plenty of space and you can save your back.

When you say clamshell, are you thinking a Columbus or Maggiolina style design? For a Columbus style clamshell you might be able to adapt a tent like this to it, although it would be some work.

tommudd

Explorer
The trailer I am currently building, the platform or top for an RTT or what ever you can come up with would be about 48 to 52 inches from the ground depending on some final design modifications.
Does that help any, really wanting a RTT type with a stand up changing room at the end/side somewhere. I hate to pull my pants on laying down anymore:Wow1:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
This is what I was thinking of a clamshell camper.
http://www.kamparoo.com/index2.htm
I know it isn't what you were thinking of, but I would love something like this. In practice, a changing room with a floor is pretty much the same thing. I just really prefer having my dogs sleep within sight of me. I don't know if the changing room idea would allow that. They hate getting lifted up and I hate lifting them since my back is a wreck. I still really like the idea of a do-it-yourself trailer though - especially the idea of being able to make little changes here and there. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
:peepwall:

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks for your trailer measure Tommudd it helps.

Ok, now I understand what you mean by clamshells, yes that's a bit different. Hmmm, I envision the changing room being sealed up so bug can't get in, this would allow you to leave the main tent door open, then you and the dogs would be able to see each other. When I have a revised prototype with the changing room pictures should help.

compactcamping

Explorer
As I've continued getting feedback and working on this idea, it's looking very viable. I'm getting patterns and a final product prototype underway, expect to have pictures and additional information by early April.

Additional help please, I could still use input on how tall people's trailers are. Especially M-series military ones. Any measurement would be greatly appreciated.

rain76king

Adventurer
Hello,
I have been doing so much research on this very topic for the past few months. I have a m416 military trailer that I plan on putting a homemade roof top tent platform on. I thought about buying one....I dropped the ball last season when someone was selling RTTs from Cartoptents new for like $600 delivered.
I don't feel like it's that hard to build one. The only problems I see in building mine was the Canvas. I agree, being a boat guy that sunbrella material would be a good option. That was my problem though the canvas work....I live south of Boston, Ma and getting a canvas guy to help me out would cost a fortune.
I wouldn't say I would be in the market for your set up till I saw more designs/pictures. $1200 for the complete set up sounds pretty steep, then add shipping...ouch. Please don't get me wrong, I love the Idea but I can't see spending that type of money and still putting a bunch of work into it. Although I have not started to add up the costs of hinges and some of the bows and what not.
I will give you the height of my trailer tomorrow, but I think thats going to be a constant problem. Everyones running different tire sizes, different lids and different racks. I would assume that the height is for the changing room?

compactcamping

Explorer
Rain76king, thanks for the feedback.

Yes I'm asking for trailer height measurements to gauge how tall the changing room walls would need to be. It'll be pretty easy to have 8-10" of adjustability for a floored changing room. I'm also thinking that maybe a floorless changing room will be needed to handle big swings in trailer height.

rain76king

Adventurer
I realized that after posting when I read it again. I haven't yet done the measurement, will get back to you on that tonight. I actualy came across your trailer before when doing some research....found the picture on flickr. The tent on the trailer looks alot like a slide out wing on a pop up camper.
I think a bottomless changing room is a decent idea, who cares about someone seeing your ankles? On the other hand it would be nice to have a bottom in muddy/buggy situations. I think you could come up with an easy way of making it adjustable.

rain76king

Adventurer
my m416 is 4 ft, thats from the garage to the top rim of the trailer. Thats not including the lid I plan to put on it. It's spring over axle with 33 inch mickey thompson baja claws.

Bob

SwiCago

Observer
I just made my own DIY RTT... I posted a thread below
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26203
web_GhettoRTT_19.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles