Cheap trick 05+ Tacoma bed rail tie down

rynosurf

Adventurer
I'm sure others have thought of this but I couldn't find any info so I thought I would share. I wanted some extra tie down points for my bed rails but didn't want to spend the money on some stock ones so I made my own. I bought some 2 1/2" x 3/8" eyebolts, 3/8" washers, 3/8" fender washers and some 3/8" unistrut nuts and removed the springs. Slide a nut into the tie down channel with the standard washer in front of it, then just thread the eyebolt with fender washer into nut and you are done. The standard washer fits into the grooves that are designed for the stock tie downs; you can tighten or loosen bolts by hand and move them to desired location.
IMG_2237-1.jpg
IMG_2239-1.jpg
IMG_2240-1.jpg

I also did the same thing using 1/4" hardware to attach my quickfists for my shovel. (If you do this, use a 3/8" washer in front of the 1/4" unistrut nut.)
IMG_2241-1.jpg
IMG_2242-1.jpg

So far they have worked out pretty good, but I haven't had the chance to really test them out. Total cost was about $5 for 4 tie downs.

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I like that. The whole "how do I add new hardware to my bed rails" dilemma has pissed me off more times than I can remember.

T-hacha-P

Observer
Maybe I'm revealing my ignorance too much, but where can one find a "unistrut nut"? I looked for something like that for weeks when I was mounting up my bike fork mounts...

rynosurf

Adventurer
Unistrut hardware is usually in the electrical department at Home Depot, Lowes etc. Here is a better pic.
IMG_2245-1.jpg

The 3/8" washer helps spread the force on the inside of the tie down channels.

Last edited:

voodoochile

Unistrut hardware is usually in the electrical department at Home Depot, Lowes etc. Here is a better pic.
IMG_2245-1.jpg

The 3/8" washer helps spread the force on the inside of the tie down channels.

That's the same way I went. I used them to mount some Thule blockheads for holding mtn bikes.

TacoRocco

Observer
I didn't get all the parts (bulkhead adaptor bolt and rail nut) for my new tonneau cover and I'm leaving for Florida this weekend.

Thanks for this thread and parts list.

rynosurf

Adventurer
For those of you with campers on 05+ Tacomas

You can never have enough tie down points. I replaced the standard 1/4" bolts that hold my camper on and replaced them with 1/4" eyebolts. I added a nut and washer at the top of the threads to keep the eye from digging into the fiberglass.
100_2578.jpg
100_2579.jpg

Madd0x

Great post, I'm about to haul some stuff back to LA from dallas and I was trying to avoid paying $30 plus for 2 oem tie down.

For $30 I was able to make 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier