Mindset

YJ Dave

Observer
While reading thejafe tread about building his TJ and seeing how off topic it has slid. I thought about starting a diffrent tread about the mindset of building a Jeep.

There are a lot of ways to build a Jeep, maybe more ways than there is to skin a cat. The short list includes The Stocker, The Casual Tripper, The Camper, The Weekend Warrior, The Be All Do All, The Rock Crawler, The Moon Buggie, and I'm sure that you can add a few others in there.

cshontz"God, I love ExPo. :ylsmoke:

I started out bitten by the trail-riding bug as many do. Logical progression was to build bigger, and run harder trails. Eventually discovered that I didn't like 1) building and wrenching, and 2) obstacle-centric wheelin' - and that I loved exploration, touring off-highway, and the accompanying unexpected challenges. It took me several years to figure that out, and I feel a little alienated by the mindset."

Similar to Chris, I started out building my Jeep to explore ghost towns and the mining trails of Colorado. Then I wanted to go bigger, my dreams had things like a spring over, V8 swap, bomb proof tranny, granny gears in the t-case, bigger stronger axles and 36" tires. Thankfully my poor public servants salary prevented me from going down this road with my Jeep. But...... (the type A personality comes out)

I was still, pulled farther down the line by friends, competition rock crawling, and driven even farther by a part Jeep part buggy running on 38.5" tires, with the lowest COG that we could get and still have clearance for the tires. Then sponsors and winning became the priority over fun.

I was ran off from the rock crawling scene by the need to spend 80K or more every year to keep the rig running, replace parts and the never ending quest for a rig that weighs less, and offered better performance.

The quest in the media and on many of the message boards out there is for bigger and bigger. We want 40's and Rockwell's, we want a LS1, they say. I want a million bucks, but you don't care. Why should anyone on the net who I have never met care how I build my Jeep or any other vehicle for that matter?

I think that many people get lost in this buzz, glimmer and show, forget, or are just distracted by the hype, as to what there goals are with building there trail rig. I know that I was. For prospective I help to moderate a Jeep board. As I read many of the posts by people with high post counts I have been starting to wonder how many of them actually have a Jeep and how many of them actually use the Jeep to go any place at all. Many offer blank, or blind statements, without knowing the end goals for the person who asked the question. The .net is a great place that is full of info, but a good amount of that info is well BAD info.

While building a rig's to crawl up walls, I learned a lot of things about building a rig to survive in insane conditions. Many of those lessons I'm going to build into the next version of my good old Jeep, things like a lower COG, and less weight, without loosing any function, that is found in a DD. I want heat, AC would be nice (but I would need to add it) seats that recline, and the ability to seal out bad weather. I want the go most every where do most any thing Jeep.

I want to build what is in my eyes, a Jeep that will go most any where that I point it, can haul all of my junk for camping, can drive me to work, and can drive me across a trail or road that has been washed out by floods. All in all I want a Jeep that will give me a freedom to explore similar to the freedom that I have when I'm in a canoe. I think I know how to get to my end goal. I don't need "web wheelers" to tell me that something will not work. Shoot maybe I should get a picture of my Jeep flexed out on top of there computer monitor.

Alright enough of this senseless rant.

86cj

Explorer
YJ Dave ,

I get where you are coming from Dave. Reality of life's compromises beat me on the head long enough, I found out this lifestyle brings the most recharge of the batteries.

I have been working on a CJ for the dunes and some rockcrawling out west. The usual list of goodies:383 TPI,400 turbo,dana 300,Dynatrac 60,Currie 44 etc.....

With so little free time now compared to all the free time (and money) I thought I had when in my 20's. Building something just to try to break it does not seem like as good of an idea as it used to. I enjoy being in middle of a holiday weekend wheelin' freinzy, but choose only to be able to get there and watch the idiots instead of being one.(must be getting old)

After my first trip out west I was hooked on wheelin' just enough to get to the truly cool scenery and animals. But realized the CJ won't work out till I retire and pull it with a large diesel something,for months at a time. When JEEP built the LWB having always wanted a scrambler it was a no brainer.The wife DD the CJ for years and got back in the saddle. So far I have not got to carried away with mods and was able to do 849 miles in one sitting.

I think waking up in my new maggolina roof tent (1700mi from home) on the white rim will be even better than climbing the dunes in my CJ....(must be getting old)

thejafe

Adventurer
One of the things that I enjoy about 4-wheeling is that it's NOT a contest. I'm plenty competitive in other aspects of my life.

I've wheeled with a full spectrum of Jeep owners; from the noob that takes every bypass to the hardcore guy that bought a beater for the sole purpose of breaking ******** :ar15: ...

It's true that 4-wheeling can be different things to different people, dependant upon what it is that they are setting out to do. Personally, I'm in it for the adventure... to explore, to discover, to get great pictures! I'm NOT in it to be the biggest, the baddest, the muddiest etc. I do enjoy challenging myself but I'm not trying to show anyone up out there, ya know?

Last edited:

AZCPP

Adventurer
I got caught up in the madness!! I took what was a mildly built, very capable, and very low mileage 1999 TJ and with one broken front axle (stock Dana 30 that had lasted for 8000 miles 80% off road) one thing lead to another and another and I ended up with a granted VERY COOL but quite impractical almost buggy that couldn't be driven on the road in most states, carry almost no cargo, no top, Jeep that I had to trailer everywhere. Like I said it was cool and would go anywhere but it set in my shop and collected dust most of the time. When a guy from KY. called and wanted to buy it I jumped on it and even delivered it to him. I honestly get much more enjoyment traveling mile after mile in our Ram or Liberty than I did taking all day to go 500 feet.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have to say, I have never been the hard core rock crawler type. I love to get out and explore. I love to see the scenery, explore the ghost towns, mines, caves, etc. the west has to offer. I started doing this in a 2WD Isuzu P/U and traded up to an Isuzu Rodeo, and now I have my Trooper. And while I never really had any urges until the Trooper to do any mods to any of my vehicles, my Trooper in stock form with only 32" tires takes me anywhere I need to go, and to any sites I need to see. And, frankly, I get angry when I break something, because now either I have to fix it, or I have to pay somebody to fix it, and that is really not something that I can afford either finacially or chronologically, so I try to avoid breakage at all costs. But it does not deter me from getting out there and exploring old well known trails or trails I have never been down before. It is just the getting out there that I love doing. Half the time, I don't even use 4WD, just give me a dusty graded road and I will be happy.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
YJ Dave said:
I want to build what is in my eyes, a Jeep that will go most any where that I point it, can haul all of my junk for camping, can drive me to work, and can drive me across a trail or road that has been washed out by floods. All in all I want a Jeep that will give me a freedom to explore similar to the freedom that I have when I'm in a canoe.

Hey, I have one of those. I can even sleep inside of mine (comfortably, no less). It is at home on "moderate" trails (the worst it has seen was a solid 4.5 on the old 1 - 5 scale), and doesn't complain a bit when I point it down the hardpan for hundreds of miles at a time. Of course, I complain about the measly 17mpg it gets....:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne