Fire extinguishers...

This is all great input folks- thank you! I'm glad to see that there are at least a couple of folks here who kind of share the same mindset as I do, which is that in a true emergency, the last thing on my mind is saving my electrical system.

I like the idea of having (2) 5lb extinguishers rater than (1) 10 lb. I think that it would be easier to stow an extinguisher on both the passenger's and driver's sides of my vehicle with the smaller units.

About the banging with a mallet thing- thanks for the tip! I've never heard about settling, or the maintenance involved with a fire extinguisher.. maybe I ought to go check out the ones that I keep around the house?

Keep the info coming folks, and again, if anyone has any suggestions for a fairly rugged unit that is suitable for vehicle use, please post it up!

jcbrandon

Explorer
...in a true emergency, the last thing on my mind is saving my electrical system...

I agree completely. My next fire protection project is to add a second extinguisher of the dry chemical, ABC, type.

My perspective on the halon-subsitute is to prevent a situation from becoming an emergency. Think early intervention and minimal consequences. If I can't put out a small fire before things start to get serious, I'll step away and let it burn.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snip.....

I have actually thought that those window breaker hammer things might be a good accessory to have.
Actually the tool of choice for thieves are those automatic center punches. I'm told that they'll crack tempered glass with one push. What ever he/she/they used on my shell window did a number on it. Good for me that the tint didn't want to let go and they couldn't get in.

cruiser guy

Explorer
News to me too on the power settling. I've had my extingusher in the truck for well over 5 years without whacking in with a mallet or anything.

It probably needs a recharge anyways.

shawkins

Adventurer
Auto windows aren't too hard to break, I've done the front windows in a 4Runner before with my fist.

It seems to me that the $20 Home Deopt extinguishers could be lacking in quality. Especially in my rig where things bounce around, it is going to lead a rough life. Where can I pick up a good quality extinguisher?

Thanks

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I mounted 2 Kiddie ABC's in my rover. Used the plastic mounts that come with them with no issues for 7 years now. As for intentionally shaking up the powder now and then, well......have you ever driven a leaf sprung rover? :smiley_drive:
Jason T.

ThomD

Explorer
Hmm. Now I'm a big fan of regular maintenance, but somehow I had a blind spot to this. I just looked at the Kidde in the kitchen (not a good sign that I had to look around to find it) and realized it is the one I bought after we moved in - in 1994! :Wow1: What is this "annual inspection" you speak of?

It doesn't have an expiration date on it, but still... How do I dispose of this?

I noticed that it says ABC, (monoammonium phosphate), but the USCG label rates it only for BC.

Time to go shopping.

jh504

Explorer
Auto windows aren't too hard to break, I've done the front windows in a 4Runner before with my fist.

It seems to me that the $20 Home Deopt extinguishers could be lacking in quality. Especially in my rig where things bounce around, it is going to lead a rough life. Where can I pick up a good quality extinguisher?

Thanks

I picked up my 10lb standard ABC at Fastenal. It is an industrial hardware store here in NC. Mine has taken a beating in the back of my XJ and now my 4runner. Just some scratches on it, no big deal. It is usually packed in tight though, and Im coming up with some sort of mount in the future.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

Must have been a bad window, already had some deep scratches, or something with the design.

The one I tested, I would confidently say no human could break it with their hands/arms. It took a hell of a whack from a ball-peen hammer.

Another time I had a Tempo with a broken window regulator, there were 2 pins through the glass but one was broken so it only pulled on one side. One day the glass was frozen up to the weather strip when I tried to drop it, and with the lightest touch on the window crank, it shattered. Glass is funny sometimes. It really all depends on any stress concentration in the glass, whether a scratch, chip, or impact from a sharp object. Once it starts, it's all over.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Look in the yellow pages for places that recharge fire extinguishers. They sell them too, and carry quality extinguishers in a lot of sizes and also good heavy duty mounts.
The one near me also has a ton of older extinguishers because in businesses they have to be replaced every so often to meet the fire code (you can only pressure test them a certain number of times I think). They aren't suitable for businesses, but are perfectly fine (and legal) for personal use. He sells them for really decent prices. One of mine is probably 30-40 years old and every time I have it charged the guy says there's nothing wrong with it at all. And it works fine every time I use it too (there seems to be a lot of car fires in the Atlanta area).

jh504

Explorer
Must have been a bad window, already had some deep scratches, or something with the design.

The one I tested, I would confidently say no human could break it with their hands/arms. It took a hell of a whack from a ball-peen hammer.

Another time I had a Tempo with a broken window regulator, there were 2 pins through the glass but one was broken so it only pulled on one side. One day the glass was frozen up to the weather strip when I tried to drop it, and with the lightest touch on the window crank, it shattered. Glass is funny sometimes. It really all depends on any stress concentration in the glass, whether a scratch, chip, or impact from a sharp object. Once it starts, it's all over.

Agreed^^. Auto windows are definitely hard to break on the majority of vehicles out there. If you try to punch one most of the time you are gonna end up hurting yourself and maybe breaking something (in your hand). If you need to break one, definitely use something to hit it with. You can actually use an antenna from your car if it has a ball on the end of it. You place the antenna against the window holding the base pressed firmly against the glass. Then pull the tip back as far as you can and let it slap back onto the glass. If you hit it right, it will shatter the window.
Dont go punching car windows, I know Chuck Norris does it, but he is hardcore!:coffeedrink:

sargeek

Adventurer
fire extinguishers

Best Extinguisher made.

redline_hp_sys_01.jpg

Expensive but worth it.

Fire extinguishers should be inspected a mimimum annually. Visually inspect it, check the guagem and shake up the powder. I think its every ten years they need to be hydrostatic tested.

clalor

Observer
I haven't seen the Purple K BC extinguishers mentioned. Compared to a dry chemical ABC extinguisher of the same size, the AMEREX Purple K extinguishers have double the B and C rating. It seems like they'd be ideal for a vehicle, maybe along with an ABC companion extinguisher. Of course, I have no idea what sort of after effects might be caused by the dry chemical used in them (listed as "fluidized and siliconized potassium bicarbonate"). Does anyone here have any experience or opinion on the Purple K stuff?

Christian

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Best Extinguisher made.

redline_hp_sys_01.jpg

Expensive but worth it.

Fire extinguishers should be inspected a mimimum annually. Visually inspect it, check the guagem and shake up the powder. I think its every ten years they need to be hydrostatic tested.

Do you have a link or a manufacturer name?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior