Best camp meal?

Conrad_Turbo

Observer
We use the cast iron for virtually everything, my favorite is breakfast. Starting a fire first thing in the morning, letting it die down and then throwing two 12" cast iron pans over the coals. Preheat and then toss hashbrowns in one pan and eggs/bacon a few minutes later in the other. Cleanup is with a light scrub with a stainless SOS pad and some water to rinse. My wife and I love having eggs/bacon/hashbrowns first thing in the morning and either a coffee or a cold beer. :sombrero:

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
Camp food...mmmm :chef:

I would have to say that the best camp meal ever was hands down the meal I had at the base of Mt. Elbert in CO. It was my birthday night and my cousin was 5 days away from getting married. To summit Mt. Elbert was our last item on the bachelor list. The night before we started our summit, we campfire grilled fresh Salmon, Elk Steaks, and green beans, boiled some rice, and cracked some Yingling brews I had brought from back east. Nothing burned...everything came out perfect.

However, the most amazing part….was the evening snack. We saved some of the salmon steak, some fresh onions, and some white rice. We combined the group in a bowl and mashed it up into a paste adding in a little whiskey…we smeared that paste onto crackers and toasted the most amazing meteor shower I had ever seen. <---thats right, i said whiskey mashed salmon paste...try it. Epic!!!

Epic trip…Epic Birthday…Epic everything. Man I am frickin hungry now…:coffee:

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
Carnivores Camping Meal:

Starter: Salsiccia, an italian sausage with fennel in it or Merguez, a french sausage with red hot pepper paste in it. Some stuffed olives and baguette with that.

Main course: A not too small horse steak, accompanied by some couscous with dates in it. Ice cold Heineken goes well with that!

After that: A small piece of grilled lamb with some lemon and rosemary. An gold-coloured, italian Grappa would now be a good idea or a Schnaps / Spirit made out of hazelnuts by a guy near the place I live.

Now lean bag in your camping chair and watch the stars above the alps...

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Camp food...mmmm :chef:

I would have to say that the best camp meal ever was hands down the meal I had at the base of Mt. Elbert in CO. It was my birthday night and my cousin was 5 days away from getting married. To summit Mt. Elbert was our last item on the bachelor list. The night before we started our summit, we campfire grilled fresh Salmon, Elk Steaks, and green beans, boiled some rice, and cracked some Yingling brews I had brought from back east. Nothing burned...everything came out perfect.

However, the most amazing part….was the evening snack. We saved some of the salmon steak, some fresh onions, and some white rice. We combined the group in a bowl and mashed it up into a paste adding in a little whiskey…we smeared that paste onto crackers and toasted the most amazing meteor shower I had ever seen. <---thats right, i said whiskey mashed salmon paste...try it. Epic!!!

Epic trip…Epic Birthday…Epic everything. Man I am frickin hungry now…:coffee:

You brought Yeungling Lager to Colorado, and you didn't bring me any? HOW DARE YOU.... Blaspehemy I say.. blasphemy! j/p bro.. i miss lager real bad, nd no matter how much I bug Yeungling, they still dont ship west of the Mississippi River :( I cannot wait to PCS to the east coast!

Holger

Observer
P1010209.JPGP1010221.JPG

Our meal last week kayaking on Sandon River.
Roast mad in a cobb oven, together with roasted potatoes, corn, zuchini, carrot and other goodies. Not a bad meal for a Kayaking trip..

grimbo

Explorer
Spit roast, beef & lamb, with camp oven roast veggies with real gravy with a group of friends and all the kids sitting by Lake Eildon which is now 80% full after 14 years of being nearly empty, on a balmy Autumn night as the sun set.

Or a can of Stagg chili cooked in a blizard while camping on the top of a mountain. It was quick, it was tasty and most importantly was hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles