Wheel bearings.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have an 81 subaru (rocky the warwagon) that has a noisy front end.

Specifically when turning. Now, I just had new CV axles put in, which could be the culprit. I wonder about the front bearings, though, since I've never seen them.

Is there a quick and easy check for wheel bearings? Rocking the tire back and forth or something, without having to pull apart the front? I have a jack and jackstands @ home, so getting it in the air is no problem.

Thanks.

Brian

P.S. If its the axles I have a warranty on them for a year, so thats a non-issue if it turns out to be the problem.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I can't remember which direction to push/pull the tire 'n wheel assembly...
But the test is to get the vehicle into the air, and if you push and pull on the tire, there can be play in a certain direction, or axis, and that's how you know the bearings are gone.
I "think" it is if you are pulling on the tire as if to remove it from the studs, but it's been a few years...

S.Limited

If the noise has started shortly after the axle shaft was changed then I would take it back and have them look at it. That era of subarus have an issue with that. The fit between the outter joint and the wheel bearing is nasty tight. Quite often the hammering that has to be done to get the shaft out will damage the bearing.

viter

Adventurer
jack up the wheel so it's hanging in the air, grab it at 6 and 12 o-clock positions (top and bottom) and try to shake it - if it moves considerably probably the wheel bearing is bad. not sure about subarus but this test definitely works on my tacoma. when one of my front bearing got worn and actually broken the wheel on that side would move like .5in, while the other side barely moved at all.

btw, grabbing wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and trying to shake it is one way to check if anything in the steering system (like inner or outer tie rod joints) is worn out.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The shake test can indicate certain types of bearing failure, but not all. I'd also give the tire a spin, you may hear a noise that way as well. Or just feel it. Sometimes these things are hard to diagnose. I'm in a similar situation with one of my Focuses, I've just replaced both CV's as a first best guess, and hoping that was it.

Heck, a blown cord in a tire can make similar noises sometimes.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
A blown bearing is really easy to hear. It will make a lot of noise in any driving direction.

If it only makes noise while turning, I suspect it's not your wheel bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz