CampingLab Rooftop Tent reviews wanted

Box Rocket

Dang man, that thing looks great painted! nice job.

What is the difference with the Camping Lab trailer tent vs the rooftop model? I'm looking at this monster with the full cover since I've got the wife and 4 kids and a dog. I'm thinking the wife and I could sleep in the tent and i could use the changing room as a ground tent for the kids? Maybe?

trailertent01G.jpg

trailertent02G.jpg

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The trailer tent is more family oriented, it has a trailer top "loft" for mom and dad and a ground level room with tub style floor for the kids. :)

Both areas are connected so it's more like a two level tent than a rooftop tent with a changing room. It has a lot more usable area, the ground room can be completely closed and used as sleeping quarters or opened and used as living area, kind of like a front porch.

You also get a lot of protection from the elements from the wrap around awning.

Fernando

Box Rocket

The trailer tent is more family oriented, it has a trailer top "loft" for mom and dad and a ground level room with tub style floor for the kids. :)

Both areas are connected so it's more like a two level tent than a rooftop tent with a changing room. It has a lot more usable area, the ground room can be completely closed and used as sleeping quarters or opened and used as living area, kind of like a front porch.

You also get a lot of protection from the elements from the wrap around awning.

Fernando

Thank you sir.

Phantom

My Camping Lab Rtt was delivered Monday, I had chance to unpack and play with it today. The build quality seems to be very good and I'm sure it will serve me well for many years to come.

This may not be the thread to ask, but what are the extra loose straps for that are attached to the tent support poles ? (See attached)

~Lee~

Attachments

• carpa08G.jpg
    carpa08G.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 152

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
My Camping Lab Rtt was delivered Monday, I had chance to unpack and play with it today. The build quality seems to be very good and I'm sure it will serve me well for many years to come.

This may not be the thread to ask, but what are the extra loose straps for that are attached to the tent support poles ? (See attached)

~Lee~
To help you get in and out of the tent if you need it!

Phantom

Thanks weezerbot

That never crossed my mind, I had the tent set up on the garage floor so getting into it was not a problem.

~Lee~

pray4surf

Explorer
Have had the RTT out for a couple of 2-nighters. I've found it to be very comfortable.

Setup and takedown is so easy, specially since I've closed it enough to realize the little 'tricks'. Such as having the wife tuck the folds in as we close it, then ensuring all loose flaps are tucked in before zipping the cover on. And while operating the zipper, keep a finger inside to help prevent getting fabric caught up...

One night we had a steady drizzle/light rain (no wind) and we stayed nice and dry - that is until I went out the 'door', bumped the rainfly and dumped a couple cups of water on my head... Because I'm sometimes slow to catch on, I repeated this a few minutes later as I climbed into the tent... When you dump the collected water it drops to the ground at the base of the Changing Room. The walls got pretty dirty and are the only thing that needs cleaning after this trip.

We closed up the RTT in a light rain in that morning and spent the day driving around Holcomb Valley and points east. When we re-opened the tent that evening, everything inside the tent (bedding and all) was nice and dry - I believe the only water in the tent was introduced by the occupants. That night was dry (no precip) and the RTT was nearly completely dry by the next morning. Though to be on the same side, I did remove the mattress and set it out on the patio to 'air' out, and did the same with the RTT in my employers parking lot the following day...

Rick

ok ok, I guess I really want to know how everyone's have held up. It's a larger investment, but I want it to last a long time. But my last tent leaked like crazy in the rain and it had crazy condensation issues.

Those are my two main worries (since it's not crazy weather here in California).

What brand was that tent, and what exactly were the crazy condensation issues? I'm concerned about this myself, given that I want to take some long trips mid-spring through early fall (before it gets chilly again), and I live in humid Houston, Texas.

Thanks!
Stephanie

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
What brand was that tent, and what exactly were the crazy condensation issues? I'm concerned about this myself, given that I want to take some long trips mid-spring through early fall (before it gets chilly again), and I live in humid Houston, Texas.

Thanks!
Stephanie

It was a crappy wal-mart tent that my brother had. I now went the canvas tent route and couldn't be happier. My budget couldn't handle the RTT. I'll bet it's in my future though ;)

ozarkroozer

Observer
I'm posting here cause allot of Camping Lab users responded. I just received my Camp Lab tent the other day. And right off it's great. After years of standard tent camping, to crawl into the tree house on that cushy foam wow! that aint no regular cracker. Ok, question for user's. I cant figure out why they didnt make the zipper go all the way around the cover. Is this a design feature that I'm missing or a flaw? Seems silly to make the effort to keep 3 sides dust free and dry and not 4? Ok so lets say it's intentional for some obvious reason that I'm missing. There is a thick cord on the zipperless side and a groove on the railing of the tent that looks like you can squeeze it into but I cant make it stay. I'm I missing something?? How do you secure this side??

pray4surf

Explorer
I'm posting here cause allot of Camping Lab users responded. I just received my Camp Lab tent the other day. And right off it's great. After years of standard tent camping, to crawl into the tree house on that cushy foam wow! that aint no regular cracker. Ok, question for user's. I cant figure out why they didnt make the zipper go all the way around the cover. Is this a design feature that I'm missing or a flaw? Seems silly to make the effort to keep 3 sides dust free and dry and not 4? Ok so lets say it's intentional for some obvious reason that I'm missing. There is a thick cord on the zipperless side and a groove on the railing of the tent that looks like you can squeeze it into but I cant make it stay. I'm I missing something?? How do you secure this side??

That there's your answer.... That cord should tightly slide into the rounded channel....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior