Socket Storage Solution

datoy

Adventurer
A quote from my blog:

"I have been struggling with how to store my tools in the most compact way for my off road adventures. At first I carried the molded plastic tool box as well as another box with the additional tools in it. This worked but the tools would tend to shake out of there nice little molded spot and every time I opened the tool box I would need to reorganize the tools.

This led me to move onto my next solution. I had a used of small stuff sacks that I placed the sockets in based on there type and drive size. This worked but the bags have a tendency to get holes in them and the sockets then fall out when the bag is removed from the box.

Enter what I hope is my final solution. I have strung all my sockets and box end wrenches on cords. They are sorted by drive size and type. The sockets will need to be completely removed from the cord to select the correct size which is really no different than the stuff sacks. What I like is I can now see the sockets which makes the selection easier. I use ammunition cans as my tool boxes and this is a very compact way to store the tools. I now have half the can available for additional tools."

Kilroy

Adventurer
Nice idea. I've tried the plastic case. I liked the idea of being able to easily tell what isn't there. But your right about the sockets falling out of there places and always having to reorganize. There is also a lot of air space in the plastic case. I think I'll be giving your idea a try.

What would be nice, but I'm not buying all new tools, are the ones with large markings. It would be easier to find what I want without getting the reading glasses.

shortymav

Observer
I use the boxes mine came in,very compact but can i also say you seem to have alot more than you would need?

when i go wheeling i have 1/2" socket, 15/16" 1" 17.19/13MM sockets and i can pull my whole car apart!

Kilroy

Adventurer
No such standardization on my vehicles. It's also nice to have tools available for unforeseen circumstances. (buddy's vehicle, mother-in-laws water heater, etc.)

datoy

Adventurer
I use the boxes mine came in,very compact but can i also say you seem to have a lot more than you would need?

when i go wheeling i have 1/2" socket, 15/16" 1" 17.19/13MM sockets and i can pull my whole car apart!

I originally considered tailoring my tool set, however, as mentioned in the last post I decided I should have all the tools to help provide assistance to others. With a well maintained vehicle I hope to never need them for mine.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I recently invested in a set of these:

110122_lg.jpg

I like them because the strong magnet in the center holds them in place, they are all in order, and I can access each individually without disturbing the others. I bought a set in red and black so I can keep the standard & metric easy to ID.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Nice! What are they called? Google did not respond well to my search for "plastic socket thingy with magnets".

No, no, you got it wrong. Metric IS standard! :D I'll get my coat...
LOL!!!
I refer to them as "SAE" & "Metric" these days.
Harald, work's small ones have no name on them anywhere. They do have "PAT. NO. 5313181.5343181" molded into one end. The big one in work's tool cabinet has a Snap-On p/n of "MR 3828" embossed on it. Hopefully that's enough to find them with on your side of the pond.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10706:
A friend suggested using a section of all-thread through the middle of sockets stack in order. I'm going to try that. I'll weld a nut & fender washer on one end and use a wing nut & washer on the other. I am thinking to possibly Dremel a slot into the wingnut end of the all-thread and put in a piece of nylon string to act as a locking element under the wingnut. Nylok wingnuts are available, but all that I've found so far are pot metal.
I figure it's worth a try anyway....
This has worked well so far. See my update in the link.

chet

island Explorer
I had my sockets and wrenches like that for about 6 months. Yes it is nice to not lose them but what a pain getting to the middle ones! I found I had more tools lying in the dirt this way then the old way as all the sockets have to come off to get to the middle one! Where do you put those sockets?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I still use the plastic boxes that my Craftsman tools come in. Yes they are crappy! and I have told various reps and emailed them to fix this but to no avail. The clips to lock them eventually break, and yes the sockets et al. rattle around and some of the small ones work free. Driving a Toyota product means only bringing metric ones along and I use thin 1/8-14" foam pads to place between the top and bottom halves and then a Velcro strap to hold it all together. No rattle, not loose parts, works great!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I had my sockets and wrenches like that for about 6 months. Yes it is nice to not lose them but what a pain getting to the middle ones! I found I had more tools lying in the dirt this way then the old way as all the sockets have to come off to get to the middle one! Where do you put those sockets?
I pull them off the all-thread in the organized string and lay them on the top of the tool roll.

98dango

Expedition Leader
i have tried maney diffrent ideas. My favrite so far has been a Husky took kit the box thy come is is verry good. You can hold it upside down and nothing falls out. i do use a tool bag for the extras.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Nice! What are they called? Google did not respond well to my search for "plastic socket thingy with magnets".

No, no, you got it wrong. Metric IS standard! :D I'll get my coat...

You can get them from McMaster-Carr, Item 55305A83, $22.96, available in red or neon green.

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. Which metric standard should I use? The Japanese JIS one, the German DIN one, the Italian UNI one, the ISO one, or one of many others? There is a lot of commonality between those, but there are also things unique to each one.

The Whitworth threadform was the best.:peepwall:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Cool thread and ideas, I actually use a similiar setup for some of my tool kits. I really like the magnetic socket tray. Thanks for all the suggestions, now I have to explain more expenditures to the wife....:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier