Socket Storage Solution

psychohawk

Observer
I use these ... they're cheap, don't take up a lot of space and come in two different colors ... I use black for Standard and Gray for metric ... I carry waay more sockets than I need in case I come across a troubled vehicle. BTW, I did experiment with cutting the end off to reduce length ... yeah, some sockets just vibrated off ... I replaced them and don't trim any more.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941829000P?vName=Tools&keyword=socket+holder

Carl

datoy

Adventurer
I still find that storing the sockets with no additional material takes the least amount of space. For us space is at a premium.

pray4surf

Explorer
Timely thread as I'm looking for better storage solutions too...

Most of my sockets (except for the 3/8ths drive metric sockets), I'm trying to keep on socket rails. For smaller/shorter sockets this works so-so. My 1/2" drive deep sockets simply refuse to stay in place.

I'll probably end up sewing tool wrap-like bags for each drive size and keep the ratchets and extensions with the proper size sockets. Do I put the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter with the 3/8 or 1/4 sockets :sombrero:

I over-prepare too. I'd rather have 'all' tools, not just those specific to my vehicle.

I'm intrigued by what you all are doing :coffeedrink:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Been looking at some options myself, so far I'm liking these.

detail_65_detail_64_5304.jpg

http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=11

Plus the owner Tat is a ExPo member :cool:

bucketosudz

Explorer
The magnetic socket tray is by Lisle I believe. They can be had a variety of different places.

I like the flex socket holder and the macrame. Geez!!! so many decisions. It is very nice having options. Great thread.

hoser

Explorer
I use these ... they're cheap, don't take up a lot of space and come in two different colors ... I use black for Standard and Gray for metric ... I carry waay more sockets than I need in case I come across a troubled vehicle. BTW, I did experiment with cutting the end off to reduce length ... yeah, some sockets just vibrated off ... I replaced them and don't trim any more.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941829000P?vName=Tools&keyword=socket+holder

Carl
x2. While at Sears, I thought I saw extra "nubs" for additional sockets. I'll have to check next time.

slomatt

Adventurer

Carl

I've been using these plastic rails for a couple of years and have been really happy with them. The sockets stay in place even on rough washboard roads. I have a toolbag that is the same length so I can throw the rails in there with a couple of wrench rolls and I'm good to go.

- Matt

mrstang01

Adventurer
I've been using these plastic rails for a couple of years and have been really happy with them. The sockets stay in place even on rough washboard roads. I have a toolbag that is the same length so I can throw the rails in there with a couple of wrench rolls and I'm good to go.

- Matt

Me too, grabbed extra nubs and put more sockets on the rails.

Michael

slomatt

Adventurer
Me too, grabbed extra nubs and put more sockets on the rails.

Michael

Yeah, I bought a couple sets when they were on sale and installed all the nubs onto one set of rails. :) I've got one for all my 1/2" drive, one 3/8" drive, and one for 1/4" drive. The only sockets I don't have on the rails are the 1/2" deep ones that are too big to fit.

- Matt

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Been looking at some options myself, so far I'm liking these.

detail_65_detail_64_5304.jpg

http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=11

Plus the owner Tat is a ExPo member :cool:
These work excellent. We have them at work and they hold the sockets great. I just haven't had time to go bug our supply guy about them.

I just replaced my Craftsman case with a slightly bigger one they had. It worked out for the better with a little more storage than I had.

BTW, I have been using some Stanley 1/2 sockets I got from Wallyworld for a few years now and they work fine. I haven't trashed one yet even using a IR2131 impact on it (good for 650 ftlbs) a few times.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I use ball chain for my wrenches. I'm sure it would work well for sockets as well. The quick conector will fit through the openings so you can get to the size you need without having to take the whole string apart.

ballchain.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne