G.E.A.R. seat covers

hovenator

Explorer
I am going to purchase a set of the front SmittyBilt G.E.A.R. seat covers for my truck. I was wondering how everyone likes them and what color you think would look best with a dark charcoal interior? The 2 colors I am torn between are Black and the new ACU. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• gearcover1.jpg
    gearcover1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

HopLite

I have a 1987 FJ60 - brown interior...thus tan GEAR covers. The vehicle is my DD and I use it as a support vehicle for adventure racing. Unless it is race time, about 70% of the pouches are empty. I do not use the 'trash' pouch except to stow water bottles during races. They offer adequate seat protection and, if not properly tightened, the 'seat' portion of the GEAR cover can migrate. This is a case of user error, not design error.

An additional feature of the covers is their use of the MOLLE system made popular by the military...leaving infinite pouch options for gear storage. I would personally like to find a way to stow a felling axe and limbing saw on seat back. A crazy idea like that is only possible with the versatility of the MOLLE system.

The color choice is yours. If you are completely unsure, find a similar colored t-shirt or something. Toss it in the truck and see how it looks.

Happy trails...
:rappel:

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I have these covers in my Jeep Wrangler. They work extremely well and make an easy home for all that hard to store miscellaneous gear. I think the tan color looks best in dark charcoal interiors. It lightens things up a bit. The black especially would be too prone to soiling for my taste. My interior is khaki and I use the green covers.

Heimz

Observer
I saw these at SEMA a few years back and fell in love. Anyone think they will fit on a newer Dodge Ram seat? At the show, they were almost exclusively thrown on JK's.

Here's the pic I took of them back then:
Shaunspics2096.jpg

RockyMtnHigh

I got them in my FJ, even though they weren't designed for those seats they work pretty good, I don't use the seat portion of it though because it blocks the seat adjustment levers on the side, so I got it rolled up and tucked where the seat bottom and back meet.

Black was my color choice and yes they do offer alot of storage options as well as being able to add to them.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

hovenator

Explorer
My interior color is about the same as RockyMtnHigh's interior. I still can't decide. I have black seat covers now and they look good, but when I throw my ACU jacket over the seat it looks awesome. They definitely add some great storage and I really love the military look they give.

Attachments

• acu2.jpg
    acu2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
Here are a few more seat storage options

This is made by covercraft. Covercraft also has tailgate/hatch storage for som vehicles.
Pod-univ-225.jpg

This is what I use, it's from back trail outfitters. It's like a backpack for the seat.
yhst-80591653127967_2041_0

Lancer

Observer
G.e.a.r.

I've got a set in my Light Khaki Jeep KJ. I eventually went for the Tan - curiously, it's a shade that seems to adapt to a variety of internal colours. I suspect I would have had the ACU though had they been offered in that pattern when I bought them! :))

Very flexible to fit, unnoticed in normal or off road use and provide a serious improvement in in-car storage! It does pay to spend some time in fitting them though:) I recommend them to everyone in the clubs I belong to, and as I live in England and we have to import them from the States, that's saying a lot.

Clark White

Explorer
The first pair I had fell apart in very short order, with every seam splitting. That being said, I tend to carry a pretty good load in the pouches on the back, I think I probably had them tightened up a bit too much, and the replacements from Sierra Expeditions (thanks Flyingfamily!!) have lasted going on a year now with no sign of wear and tear whats so ever. I am very happy with them, and have upgraded the pouches with the addition of a Black Hawk bag that straps to the M.O.L.E. and also has shoulder straps should I ever need to carry it along (I keep basic survival equipment in them like food, water, medical, etc.).

Clark

Clark White

Explorer
I don't know about the larger axes and what not, but what I did was take the Gerber hatchet, which comes with a sheath with a belt loop on it, put the handle down between the straps on the side of the seat, and then put the loop through the top strap to keep if from coming loose in an accident. It works great, keeps it quite secure, and makes it redially available.

Clark

hovenator

Explorer
That's what I really want them for is the "unlimited" storage possibilities. I want to get everything out of the bed of my truck and from underneath and behind the rear seat. If it's compartmentalized all in one place, then there is no searching for it when you need it. It is a very cool product that everyone should consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior