Odyssey PC2150 Problems

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
If these batteries are so sensitive to charging how to the truck charge them?

They are not overly sensitive. I think he just got a defective one. All AGM batteries do not like being charged with anything over 15V. Toyotas now regulate their alternator output to 13.6 to ensure they don't over charge new technology batteries. My Odyssey batteries are working great in my 4Runner.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
They're not really that senstive... they're just different. What these batteries need is constant voltage charging. Apply 14.8V, and let the amps do whatever they will. They will take crazy amperage at the bottom of a charge, then the amperage tapers off as the charge rises.

Luckily, that's pretty much how alternators work.

The problem is most chargers will try to push in whatever amperage you have selected. 40Amps is easy for a 2150 at the bottom of the charge. But when they get full, the charger is still trying to push 40Amp, resulting in a high voltage, which these just can't take for some reason. I think normal batteries can take 15.9V at the top because they have such high internal resistance that they aren't letting many amps through at 15.9V.

The Odyssey specific chargers are manufactured by Schumacher, but they aren't standard chargers. They are custom programmed for Odyssey to be constant voltage.

Robthebrit

Explorer
That makes sense, I was considering the 2150 for my camper mog but I need 6 of them and I don't want to charge them and wreck all 6. That would be an expensive mistake.

The 120v-12v converter is constant voltage at 14.4v so it would be good, the solar is constant voltage too, so the alternator.

Rob

rambrush

Adventurer
I worked with Odyssey and the dealer, and they are sending me out a new battery. Hopefully should be here tomorrow. Good service, but it still shakes my confidence in these things a bit.

I ordered through another vender for mine, they kept stalling me as to why I had not received them. Contacted the Odyssey team and they advised they had a lot on the shelf and they could ship asap they also advised that I had ordered the ones without the metal case and under the hood it is required. So long story short those guys seem to be on top of things. My 2 1200's are clickin along just fine with no problems to be found.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The new one already arrived. I just have to swap it out.

RobtheBrit, I'd run that setup by them to be sure, but it sounds ok. Otherwise, maybe one of the Odyssey chargers would make sense because you are buying so many. I hated the idea of buying a $300 charger for a single $300 battery.

And they may not be *that* sensitive because... there's a LOT of people out there who probably didn't read the manual. Think of all the Diehard buyers.

Interestingly, the old battery was made in April 08, this new one has a date of Feb 09 so it's fresh, and seems to be fully charged. I know they say you can store Odysseys for 24 months, but I wonder...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles