Backpacking Rainbow Bridge, October 13-15 2006

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
desertgirl66 said:
We are off to a week in the Mohave National Preserve with the NorCal group :sunflower

One of my favorite areas. Where in the Preserve are you heading?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
Walls might listen. They just don't talk back.
:yikes:

And if they do...you have bigger problems than getting people to go backpacking with you!:Wow1:

articulate

Expedition Leader
desertgirl66 said:
If you can get a little extra time, try and at least drive and do a quick hike to take a peek at the Grand Gulch, just south of there on Cedar Mesa. You will find lots of AWESOME Anasazai cliff dwellings!

Lots of photos!!!
You're sweet as peaches. Thanks.

I spoke up about the weather, and guess what? It's looking like rain is a-coming. Kristina, we might get that chance to see Grand Gulch...if it's not a slot canyon.

goodtimes said:
And if they do...you have bigger problems than getting people to go backpacking with you!:Wow1:
Or maybe the two problems are perfectly related, if you catch my drift.

Mark

articulate

Expedition Leader
Change in adventure....

Changing the date: October 13-15, 2006. Pushed 'er back a week.

We're going to do :sombrero: Sonora, Mexico this weekend instead due to the rains and flash flood warnings at Rainbow Bridge....:yikes:

NEXT Weekend, when it's sunny out there, we'll be hiking to The Mighty Bridge. And with Kristina's kind spirit with us. And maybe the non-talking walls, too. :)

Dave

Explorer
Hmmm, well if you all don't have plans for the night of the 13th, we're planning on camping at the Stanton Creek camping area on Lake Powell. We'll be in a white ext cab Tacoma with Missouri plates. Probably monitoring CB 4.

I think Stanton Creek is here.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
articulate said:

Well, I'm free on this new date, but my right heel is really acting up. I'm in no shape for long hikes right now. I'll watch from afar...:friday:

seth_js

Explorer
articulate said:

We're going to do :sombrero: Sonora, Mexico this weekend instead due to the rains and flash flood warnings at Rainbow Bridge....:yikes:

NEXT Weekend, when it's sunny out there, we'll be hiking to The Mighty Bridge. And with Kristina's kind spirit with us. And maybe the non-talking walls, too. :)

Man, you aren't kidding. I just got back from Moab and it POURED. I'll be posting up some pics probably tomorrow. You'll see the waterfalls that were pouring down all over the place.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Ursidae69 said:
Well, I'm free on this new date, but my right heel is really acting up. I'm in no shape for long hikes right now. I'll watch from afar...:friday:

Those dates are even worse for me :p
Physically I'm fit, I finished this in reasonable time yesterday :wings:

articulate

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
Those dates are even worse for me :p
Physically I'm fit, I finished this in reasonable time yesterday :wings:
met_drill280.jpg

how fast did you get through that? Physically fit? I think you mean emotionally fit.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
articulate said:
how fast did you get through that? Physically fit? I think you mean emotionally fit.
Took me 27min 12s to get out of there. That's 9.5 min behind the overall winner. That frequent up and down, climbing over stuff, getting wet feet in the "shower" made the 3miles quite hard. I had no idea how draining it would be compared to normal running. Even without the toughest obstacles (for liablility reasons all the higher climbing was not included) a number of people got hurt. Those obstacles are pretty rough wood.

Yeah, got to be mentally fit. Never got yelled at that much! They really know how to make you feel like a loser. My ex-Marine friend who got me into this said it was pretty realistic, but he assured me they held back on the names they called us:D

BajaTaco said:
Hahaha - cool! Uwe, that even looks like it could be you in the pic.
I know, but it wasn't me. The DI's (Drill Instructors) were not that tall;). But man were they big! At this one climb over a wall a little over 5ft I decided to take the easy way and use the hay bale which they had in front of it as a step. The DI would have none of that, got right in front of me yelling: "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING? YOU GO OVER THAT ONE!"
I didn't argue with a guy whose twice as wide as I at the shoulders...
This yelling does motivate and help mobilizing extra strength, though.

It was great fun!

[Sorry for the highjack Mark]

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
...trip sucked.

More later.

:camping:

No.

After all the changes and getting rained out repeatedly, the trip could not have sucked. Simply not allowed. We want a happy story. A triumphant story. A story of you overcoming mother natures insistance that we not visit Rainbow Bridge. We want pictures of you, standing under the bridge, arms raised in a "V", declaring to the world that you came, you saw, you concuered! We want to hear about you telling mother nature that you will not be denied the opportunity, nor the glory. You told mother nature to "bite me", and lived to tell about it.

"trip sucked" is simply not allowed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz