Backpacking Rainbow Bridge, October 13-15 2006

articulate

Expedition Leader
rainbow_bridge2.jpg

It's back! The botched plan for Rainbow Bridge last Spring has been on my mind for months. I'm going in October to see this sandstone wonder on the Navajo Nation. Do you want to come along?

Fun Facts: Rainbow Bridge is the Earth's largest free-standing rock arch at 290 feet tall - almost the size of the Statue of Liberty. She spans the river by 275 feet, and makes her home on the Navajo Indian Reservation as a sacred site to Native Americans. Backcountry permits from the Navajo Nation are required, and as a sacred site there is no camping at the Bridge. This region hosts several incredible canyons that are worth the hike alone, so we'll take in much more than Rainbow Bridge. I have permits ready to be filled out.

The Plan: 2 nights and 3 days on the trail
Friday eve/night: Drive to Rainbow Lodge (requiring 4wd); which is just the trailhead, and no longer a working lodge.
Saturday: Hike to a camping spot in Cliff Canyon, a few miles from the Great Sandstone Wonder. This is about 7-8 miles from the trailhead.
Sunday: Day trip to the bridge early, and explore some canyons on the way back to camp.
Monday: Hike out and make our weary way back to civilization.

The hike to Rainbow Bridge is about 13 miles one way with an elevation gain of about 2600 feet. I like the idea of day-tripping to the Bridge, but if you're a stout hiker, you could totally do this in 2 days and 1 night on the trail, but it'd be a hell of a first day. You can't set up camp at the bridge, so you'd have to trek back to Cliff Canyon. The camping is reportedly better in this canyon system anyway.

So, who is interested? Here is an arial view as well:
rainbow_bridge.jpg

I've done all the leg work, except for the hiking part, SO LET'S GO.

Mark

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Hey Mark,

I'm on a camping trip Sept 28th - Oct 8th, so I cannot make this. I hope the weather holds for you this time though. Chuck...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have that weekend off, but no way I can get Monday off (someone else beat me to it, and when there are only 3 of us.....)

articulate

Expedition Leader
You buttwipes.

That blows.

Just don't show up on Monday. Not like there's a deficiency of work days in life.

seth_js

Explorer
damn you stephens... you keep taking these cools trips on days I can't make it (i'll be in moab).

articulate

Expedition Leader
seth_js said:
damn you stephens... you keep taking these cools trips on days I can't make it (i'll be in moab).
You're BACK! Sweet.......

Are you going to post up about your wild times in Belize or what??? I wanna see some photos, hear some tales...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
Just don't show up on Monday. Not like there's a deficiency of work days in life.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position in life that allows such luxuries as simply not showing up to work, not to mention it is not cool to do that to the people I work with. That day is bad enough with one person already on vacation, leaving 2 people to do the work of 3...but then to leave just one person to do the work of 3 is just plain rude. And I'm only rude when Chuck gets me started around a campfire.:sombrero:

seth_js

Explorer
articulate said:
You're BACK! Sweet.......

Are you going to post up about your wild times in Belize or what??? I wanna see some photos, hear some tales...

yeah, came back with all my limbs still attached. i'll probably get my (brief) journal and photos up tonight. broke my damn camera getting back into the boat after the first snorkeling trip, so no pics from the last two days.

articulate

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
Hey Mark,

add me to the list of people who really would like to go, but can't make it.:p
Well, I can certainly rely on you to live up to my expectations.

:smiley_drive:
Carry on, carry on!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Just to talk to a wall........
The weather this time looks very nice:
Highs: 73
Lows: 53
Partly cloudy will help make some nice photos, too. :wings:

:rappel:

We'll be with you in spirit :campfire: :yikes:

Truly one of my favoritest places, the fall colors in the gorge will be spectacular! We are off to a week in the Mohave National Preserve with the NorCal group :sunflower

If you can get a little extra time, try and at least drive and do a quick hike to take a peek at the Grand Gulch, just south of there on Cedar Mesa. You will find lots of AWESOME Anasazai cliff dwellings!

Lots of photos!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke