Backpacking Rainbow Bridge, October 13-15 2006

seth_js

Explorer
Man... if Stephens says it sucked, then it must have just been horrible. I didn't think his outlook on stuff would let any thing suck.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hopefully it did *not* involve the infamous cases of locals helping themselves to his rig.

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Okay, okay.

It sucked. Never even saw the bridge. 11:00pm, we were gently woken by some odd tap-tapping on our tent. Comfy asleep in the bottom of Cliff Canyon, about 4 miles to the Bridge. This canyon, BTW, is impressive. Yosemite-like. The sandstone walls are enourmous and sweeping.

But that tap-tapping was the rain. 'Twas gentle, but I lay there the rest of the night wondering: what should we do? It's foolish to trek through a slot canyon even with showers in the area. (the final 4 miles are in a slot). Really, the next thing on my mind was: do we really have to walk out of here first thing in the morning?

What an atrocious hike. Dear God. Rocky, steep, loose in places, unmaintained, and really really rocky. Really rocky. And really steep. Yet the weather graced us with blue skies, and upper-70's temperatures on Friday. So you can imagine the disappointment? Going back up that hell trail in the rain and mud?

The rain virtually didn't stop by morning, so we packed up, shivered, and left. Water was building in the bottom of the canyon; however, with the rain and impromptu waterfalls all over the place (pouring down 1000' sheer sandstone cliffs), it was like a scene out of Lord of The Rings. About the damned neatest thing I've ever experienced. So that part didn't suck. Other than it was a reminder to get the hell outta Dodge.

The rain never let up, the winds kicked in, and - yes - the thunder rumbled. Not only was the hike miserable (you know, the whole wet-n-cold thing?), but at times downright scary. After the initial 1600' climb out of the canyon (AHEM! 1600 vertical feet in 1.5 miles), we're exposed while traversing across the side of Navajo Mountain for about 2 miles. That's where the thunder makes your body pee without warning.

Three strikes. It's like Navajo Mountain doesn't want me there. The good news, is that no one touched the truck. And Brooke - the Super Cool Chick - loaded us up with some muchie food and cooler with tasty drinks that we left in the truck. :chowtime: We got naked, dried off, got warm, ate some Chips Ahoy. The whole damn sleeve of 'em, and washed it all down with can of Dr. Good Guy. Fresh raspberries, too. Oh! And cheeze its. Yum yums!

I don't know....should I try this again?

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
Let's kayak in. :archaeolo
Actually, that's not a bad idea. We can kayak in from the lake, and dock with about a 1 mile hike to the Bridge. It might take a few days to paddle that distance from Wahweep. Maybe there's another drop-in point closer. OH MAN!!!! What a great idea.

Let's get Jonathan in here to discuss. . .

kcowyo

ExPo Original
MFS said:
It's like Navajo Mountain doesn't want me there....

Yeah, you're over with the Navajo like Kit Carson. Even if they are $200 ahead....

And if getting naked and eatin' Chips Ahoy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Naked cookie eating guy.....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
kcowyo said:
And if getting naked and eatin' Chips Ahoy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

No, what is wrong is *telling* someone about the cold, wet, nekkid cookie-eatin adventures. Sorry, not the story we wanted to hear. That is kinda like telling the story about that night in college when, on a dare, you...uh..."went home with" a girl who was "big boned", and had a "good personality"....we don't wanna hear about it.:smilies27

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I would say that any adventure that ends with your wife eating your cookies is a good trip. :victory: Ever seen the movie Providence? It has at least one good moral.

I suppose on the somewhat serious side, you will be back when the time is right. Some of the greatest trips I've had were failures in terms of reaching the intended destination, but they were beautiful and enlightening on a level and in ways I never planned.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I was talking to Brian offline and he says it's 40 miles one-way by water to Rainbow Bridge, that is a hell of a kayak trip. Heck with it, let's just rent a houseboat, motor to the bridge, see it, say "ooohh, ahhhhh" take a few pictures, then have a party on the houseboat. :)

seth_js

Explorer
Ursidae69 said:
I was talking to Brian offline and he says it's 40 miles one-way by water to Rainbow Bridge, that is a hell of a kayak trip. Heck with it, let's just rent a houseboat, motor to the bridge, see it, say "ooohh, ahhhhh" take a few pictures, then have a party on the houseboat. :)

Hell yeah! Can I come? :p

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Party on a houseboat with Naked Cookie Eating Guy? :088:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

40 miles isnt bad on a yak, it'd just be a two day trip out to the bridge. quicker if ya got a sail, but i dont even have my own yak yet :(.

could speed up the run with a two-person yak, as well. i'd be interested in a trip like that, dunno where to rent/borrow a two person sea yak for a week tho.

-sean

articulate

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Some of the greatest trips I've had were failures in terms of reaching the intended destination, but they were beautiful and enlightening on a level and in ways I never planned.
It appears that the enlightenment going on here is that a houseboat loaded with some brats and light beer will be the prefered method to see Rainbow Bridge. At which point we have to figure out where the thread belongs: Planned Expeditions Other, or maybe Recovery and Repair Equipment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier