Grand Cherokee opinions

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Any thoughts on using a 99-2004 ish GC for an adventure/mild wheeling rig?
I realize ground clearance can be an issue. I think the comfort and convenience is covered already. I am getting rid of my rockcrawler pickup and want the comfort and roadability. Also comparing a Tacoma extra cab for the same issues. Not trying to get into a brand bashing issue though

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have a 99 WJ and it's going strong with 155K.

I have had issues with the radiator cracking, it's plastic, and in hindsight I should have replaced it with an aluminum one.

The rotors warp on a regular basis, not matter if they are OEM or cheap replacements. It may have something to do with me living up in the mountains and driving mountain passes a lot.

Mine is the V8 which Consumer Reports sites as a much less prone to trouble than the straight 6.

Layonnn

Adventurer
I have had issues with the radiator cracking, it's plastic, and in hindsight I should have replaced it with an aluminum one.

The two jeeps i owned previously had both their radiators fail.
Apparently it is a pretty common issue.

My dad has an 01 grand cherokee and it is still running very strong with the I6. No major issues that i know of at all in the 7 years he has owned it.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on using a 99-2004 ish GC for an adventure/mild wheeling rig?
I realize ground clearance can be an issue. I think the comfort and convenience is covered already. I am getting rid of my rockcrawler pickup and want the comfort and roadability. Also comparing a Tacoma extra cab for the same issues. Not trying to get into a brand bashing issue though
Well....where to start? :elkgrin:

I've had a very bad experience with my 2001 WJ; I have a build thread in this section that you are welcome to browse to see my specific issues.

Watch for bad heater cores.
Check the radiator. No HD upgrades available, unless you have one custom made.
Check for the 0331 head, avoid it if you can(2000-2001).
Take very special care of your 42RE(4.0L) tranny if you want it to last.
Evaluate your axle/gearing/tire requirements. Upgrades are costly.

If circumstances had been different, it would have been a great platform, but in hindsight, I should have bought the '94 FZJ80 that we test drove.

Your results may vary.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
I appreciate the insight. I am concerned about ground clearance issues and I don't want to tear up a nice rig. A Taco/TRD with a light shell may be a better choice. No kids so don't really need the seating.

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
id go with a more later year wj, 03 or 04 if possible. wjjeeps.com is the place to check out all wj info, tsb's, etc.
ive have an 04 with a 4.0l, 4", jks adj. track bar, 265's, the pass window regulator is the only thing has gone wrong in 80,000 miles.

Tanto

Adventurer
I have a 2000 WJ, and am the original owner. The only major problems I've had were from operator error, camp fire story material. Mechanically it has been fantastic, there is a TSB to fix the warped rotor issue for my model year. The rear door lock actuators failed after 9 years of use, inexpensive $40 fix per door. Other than that, no problems.

It is now going to be my dedicated trail rig, I just bought an LR3 for my daily driver. I'll be modifying the Grand a bit more over the next year.

XXXpedition

Explorer
a friend of mine used to own one...
he loved it - was the v8, though
he ran 33" tires
IMG_4226.jpg

Taz

Adventurer
I had a 2000 WJ (wicked Jeep, no matter what people say) with the 4.7 V8. I miss it and would love to have another one. I ran it with a 2" BB and 32's and yes rockers are needed if you don't want to tear the jeep up. Brakes are an issue, I think I was doing them complete with roters about every 35,000 miles.

normal_Wedgies20on20PSM.jpg

I wish I had pictures when I went across the golden crack open, had to get strapped but I did the big 3 in Moab with this set up and only had issues with the crack.

Atthetopoftheworld.jpg

Travelmore

Adventurer
I have 2003 WJ with the 4.0. Reading things like this always make me nervous. We are past 105k with original radiator and rotors. I have had on the White Rim trail and a few other more difficult spots. Now that its paid off I am looking at finally putting on the BB and some custom built sliders. When it was new I put on the factory skid plates, tow hooks and rear bumper/hitch other than that it is stock. I also have the 42RE transmission which I like because you can keep the Jeep in 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, 4lo or neutral.

Maybe I should start a thread on the sliders.
Tube
snwj2.jpg

or Low profile
XX1_352-211x154.jpg

Tanto

Adventurer
It's a wonderful fix. Replace rotors with "better" designed OEM rotors, which also warp. Oh well.

Not the case for me. I replaced the factory rotors and calipers with this TSB at 25,000 miles. I now have 80,000 miles on the truck with those TSB rotors AND calipers. If you only replace the rotors you will continue to have problems. The front caliper change is the key.

Tanto

Adventurer
I have 2003 WJ with the 4.0. Reading things like this always make me nervous.

Low profile
XX1_352-211x154.jpg

Don't be, 2003 should have different factory calipers and rotors. I haven't seen a lot of radiator problems either but they do occur fairly often. I'm thinking of switching from the factory Overland rock rails to those Iceland Offroad low profile ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier