Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I don't know for sure what color i want to paint the truck. I am pretty sure that it will be 'smoke grey' rustoleum. Once and a while i have delusions of painting it with something nice.

Anyone have any good paint/themes for the truck?

I have been thinking about mixing in a little desert prerunner in the mix....

35s......hehehhehe...cute tires :)

1speed

Explorer
I don't know for sure what color i want to paint the truck. I am pretty sure that it will be 'smoke grey' rustoleum. Once and a while i have delusions of painting it with something nice.

Anyone have any good paint/themes for the truck?

I have been thinking about mixing in a little desert prerunner in the mix....

35s......hehehhehe...cute tires :)

Well I had an idea for paint, but now I'm not going to tell you because you made fun of my tires!:shakin:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
35s are perfectly nice tires.....I might run some on my little flatfender someday :)

I did the first tow test today. I needed to haul a few loads of water to the house. I use the free trailer and a 425 gallon tank. That comes out to about 3500-4000 lbs.

Even with the 39s and 3.55 gears the truck did fine. In some respects it did better, less need to shift between gears. I don't think I can use 5th when towing but 4th gear at 65mph is only like 2000rpm.

Rot Box

Explorer
Looks like all that work really paid off! :drool:

So whats next? From the looks of things its time to hit the trail :jump:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Next.....it never ends!

Short list...
-Exhaust system that doesn't exit under the body :)
-Finish the inner fenders in front.
-Tub the rear.
-Start the rear bumper ( which includes trimming the lower corners in back )

Farther out....
-Keep working on the body to get it mostly smooth.
-Primer the entire truck
-Paint the entire truck
-Do something for seats...the bench is killing me.

We are taking it to moab for some camping in a few weeks as a first test.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Well you guys aren't helping with paint ideas at all! :)

Here is another pic for scale and ideas....

IMAG0037.jpg

Come on guys....I need ideas!

Paint color and theme ideas please....

Metcalf, I am painting my big truck now (Project Steel Walrus). Do yourself a favor, keep it simple. I chose a color of Tan that I found in the spray paint isle of Home Depot. No, I did not spray the truck with the Rustoleum. Instead I sprayed out a test card and took it to my local automotive paint shop. went through their book and picked a paint that matched and had them mix up a couple of qts of the color (urethane that uses a clear coat).

I did this for one reason. If I get a chip or have some damage that I just want to quick fix, I bust out the spray can and give it a quick touch up. The scheme I am following is very similar to the new Toyota FJ tan and white.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
This first hit on a MOPAR car forum somewhere. A more dedicated search than mine might find it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Poor-Mans-Paint-Job-or...-How-to-paint-your-c/

A friend painted one of his old trucks in a gray that looked a bit like concrete or glossy gray primer depending on the light and the eye. He decided to go for an "granite look" and busted out the detail gun. Ran it low pressure, high volume, and used a rapid on/off hand technique so that it splattered black and a darker gray all over the truck. Ended up looking more like "enamelware" than granite.

benjamin

Observer
You could make a visit to your local auto paint supplier and see what colors they have that were mixed wrong or not quite the right tint. They normally sell for a fraction of the normal cost.

Dennis

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I am being steered AWAY from tan as much as possible...as in I would be sleeping in the truck ALONE if I painted it tan. Something about every car in her families history being tan :)

That being said.....

What about something a little retro AND prerunner :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6-31814-dodge1.jpg
    6-31814-dodge1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,712
  • 6-31815-dodge2.jpg
    6-31815-dodge2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,695

Rot Box

Explorer
I like tan but I think you would be better off with a color that matches your Colorado surroundings :elkgrin:

Anyway with those tires I would go for the M880 look. Late 70's painted grill and a military paint scheme. Flat green paint with on black exhaust stack with Caterpillar style turnout and a snorkle... Hmm... what do you think?

Attachments

• Dodge M880.jpg
    Dodge M880.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 373
  • Dodge M882.jpg
    Dodge M882.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 308
Dude, that old school prerunner paint scheme is perfect. Absolutely do that.

:victory::wings::victory::wings::wings::victory::wings::wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste