Project: Doitall Dodge

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
You could make a visit to your local auto paint supplier and see what colors they have that were mixed wrong or not quite the right tint. They normally sell for a fraction of the normal cost.

Dennis
That is how my friend got the "cement" paint. I'll try to find a pic of the truck.

tlbrewer

Observer
I like the old Dodges in military paint too. If tan is out, how about a monochromatic flat brown? Hides the dirt better too.:elkgrin:

Tom

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
According to the almighty decision maker brown is just dark tan :)

I don't think I am going to do flat paint. I already have a military themed vehicle.

Honestly this truck is turning out good enough that I don't want it to blend in. Not that you can really blend in with tires this big! It does get a lot of second looks though. People have the look on there face like they just can't tell why the HUGE tires fit and the truck isn't super tall.

I thought this one guy in a black shortbed 92ish dodge was going to wreak when he drove by it. His truck was very lifted with much smaller tires than I am running.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm still voting for a light to medium gray. Perhaps with blue accents? Like the bumpers etc.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Couple a things!

A. Nice Rig, very well done. Your fab skills are most impressive. :Wow1:
B. I am so jealous of where you live, the Durango area is probably my favorite part of Colorado. I have to drive 2 days just to get there. And then I have to go home. :(
C. My vote is to go with a paint scheme like the uber-cool Ramcharger. But, instead of tan, use a medium blue with the black upper, or medium blue with a grey upper. And maybe a maroon stripe to contrast.

Ok, that was a few things. Sweet build, looking forward to the finished result.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you!

Yes, I am very lucky to be living in this area! It is most excellent!

Finished....hahhahhahahahhhaha.....if I can't come up with another way to improve it, modify it, or whatever it will be for sale! :D

I am going to make an outline drawing of the truck ( need to find a good picture ) and do some chip foose style renderings to see what colors pop out.

I have a lot of body work to go....so I have some time to make up my mind, or change it over and over and over :)

Scott39

Adventurer
I got a great color for you. This is my old blazer, RIP:sombrero:
I bought my blazer this color, but it is two colors mixed together the Army uses.
The guy who painted it, used Kaki (desert tan), and mixed in some Olive drap (green).
I think it was a great combo, and when I build another blazer, I will be painting it the same.
6p94sz.jpg
[/IMG]
jh3uc7.jpg
[/IMG]
mttiqv.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Minor update....

I installed a simple exhaust turn out in front of the rear tire. I couldn't take the chopped of stock pipe dumping under the cab/bed area. I didn't have time to build my full 4" system yet so its just a temp fix. It did make a pretty good difference in noise...the truck is much nicer to drive now. I also don't have to worry about sticking the dogs in the back.

I also glued some cheap grey carpet over the sleeping platform in the back so the airbed won't pop itself. The dogs will also appreciate it so they have something to keep them from sliding around back there.

Sorry, no pictures yet. I will take some thing weekend in Moab. We are going over for a few days of camping/climbing/biking. If your going to be in the area PM me or flag me down.

I really need to get the front inner fenders buttoned up when I get back. Once I get that done I can start on the rear bumper. I snagged two 4x8 sheets of cardboard to make my models out of yesterday. I hope that I will be able to make the front and rear bumpers out of one sheet of material along with a little 2x4 tubing in the rear. I also need to get something coming for the rocker guards. I need to buy a winch for the front before I get to carried away on the bumper. I want a really tight fit with the winch and I don't think I can get it pattered out without having the winch on hand.

Sorry that I had to slow down a little bit...life gets in the way sometimes :)

More soon!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Moab weekend update....

Points of interest from this weekend's trip to Moab for testing...

-The first two tanks of fuel are finally through the truck. The first tank was from the past two weeks of commuting, hauling water, and mixed driving in town.....that was 17.1 mpg. The second tank was driving back and forth to moab at 65-70mph, driving around town, etc......that was 22.18! I am pretty happy with that for sure!

-The gearing in the truck is OK. If i wasn't so picky, I wouldn't be thinking about 3.73s to replace the 3.55s. I think this will be as close to perfect gearing as I can get without swapping in a different transmission. 3.73s are also pretty easy to find in GM 14-bolts...which is one of the axles I have been looking at for the truck. The SRW FF 14-bolts are about 1" wider per side than my existing rear axle. This should hopefully eliminate the need to tub out the rear just yet. One of the goals for this project was to build and affordable vehicle so I don't want to get into using all sorts of rare parts.

-The camper system worked out pretty well overall. Especially for a $100 camper shell and a $50 sleeping platform. I do have a long list of things that I can see changing in the future. The S.O. definitely wants more headroom in the camper. I have come up with a novel idea, that I hope to implement, to allow the stock looking roof line/camper shell, but allow a good deal more headroom when in 'camping' mode.

-I think I finally came up with a way to install the LoMax 3:1 gearing set for the NP205 transfer case. This truck is most likely going to get pushed harder than most so I really need the lower gearing. I think a 3:1 in the transfer case along with the 3.73s in the diffs will give me what I want. This equates to 60:1 low range gearing. While not super extreme, I think it will give enough performance with the Cummins to do what I want.

-I also devised a really neat seating arrangement for the cab. My S.O is a road napper so I needed to find a comfortable way for her to sleep in a single cab truck while on the highway. This will be implemented when I install the new seats in the truck. I will be using some suspension style fixed back off road seats in the front. More to come.

-The new temporary exhaust dump made a world of difference on the highway as far as noise goes. Its still a 12V Cummins but you can still carry on a conversation in the truck without yelling :) Note: I need to charge the A/C.....driving around with the windows down negates all previous statements about noise!

Every time I drive the truck I come up with some new and different ideas for it! Its a never ending process!

chet

island Explorer
I found the cab of the dodge the smallest of the the big 3. Sleeping in the pass side was a major pain for a 6' person like myself!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have got a plan for the sleeping passenger seat. The S.O. is only 5'7" and 125 soaking wet....so we have a little more room to play with. I can't sleep in the car generally....like ever.

The plan is to build a mount for a fixed back suspension seat that allows the seat to slide forward and backwards on a normal seat track ( independent of the drivers seat ). When you want to sleep you slide the seat forward and then it pivots back on the rear mounting point. This creates a 'lounger' style feel to the seat which we find MUCH more comfortable for sleeping than just reclining the seat. As an added bonus I would like to have a small padded leg rest pivot out like a recliner from the end of the seat. This supports your lower leg and should allow you to sleep very comfortable.

Also, this system will should allow you to sleep with the seat belt attached. I may be upgrading to a 4-point fixed shoulder system instead of the factory 3-point retractable.

I have most of the mechanism for the seat mount figured out. The only thing that is being kinda challenging is the flip up leg rest.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nothing new to report.....

Its still working just fine. We just moved about 20 minutes closer to town in the last few weeks. Overall I am still very impressed with the truck.

I will be working on it some this weekend I hope. All my tools are still packed and a need to put my welder back together.

The truck will be getting a full SVO/WVO two tank system in the near future. I have been blending since I got the truck with good success. The next logical step is going to a full WVO system. Its going to be really nice to be able to take almost free trips. Any insight on using SVO/WVO would be much appreciated.

I'll be back...don't worry!

you made a good choice I have a 1992 dodge. They have all the power you could need. Also they get about 20 mpg's(stock). That truck is awesome!!!:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles