Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Doitall Dodge

I guess its typical of most of these older trucks with bed sides that wrap slightly around the cab, but there are always dents in the cab from the bed hitting the cab under frame flex. The passenger side was much worse than the drivers side. I removed the paint off the passengers side since the dent was large enough I needed to see what was going on. Luckily you can get to the backside of these dents pretty easy. I ended up using about a foot long rod that was about a half inch around to poke at the dents from the backside. Once I got the dents popped out I was able to hammer and dolly them back down to shape with what seemed like a thousand little hits.

I didn't have too many pictures, but I also replaced both doors with slightly older doors I got from a friend in New Mexico. They are both in very good shape and will only need very mild work. They have manual window and locks. I was able to use all the locks, handles, and latches off the original doors from the truck. They need some new rubber but overall are a VAST improvement over the doors that came on the truck. They also had grey old style door panels that are not in terrible shape.

The passenger side front fender was just a little too far gone to save. I made a trip to the local junkyard to see what I could find. I ended up finding a perfect door and dang good tailgate for $25. You can't go wrong with that. My tailgate is very very hammered and not worth working with. I will also be removing all the chrome trip and going with a more basic looking truck overall.
    The tailgate has two nickle sized dings in the top which I may just cover with a tailgate guard and one dent in the middle face that I think I can get out pretty easy.

Don't worry my old tailgate won't be a total waste. I am going to scavenge the locks and hardware from. I am also going to end up cutting a piece of the inner skin to fix the hole under the gooseneck hitch that is in my bed. That thing is coming out for sure!

The last recent thing I did was remove the rubber flares off rear wheel wells. I wanted to check for rust under them. I also don't have front flares so I think I will be running the truck in the older style without any flares. I love these southwest trucks....no rust to speak of.

I am going to continue on the body work. I need to find a semi-quick way to get the bedliner off the body panels so I can start filling/sanding/priming. The bed is going to get some more attention also. I need to french in my 2nd fuel filler door and trim/flange the rear quarter panels for the wrap around bumper I have planned for the rear. Hopefully this rear bumper will make up for the longer overhang of the long box on the truck. I had visions of bobbing the bed but I didn't want to have to make a custom camper shell. The rear bumper will hopefully maximize clearance as much as practical and minimize any potential for damage to the rear section of the bed past the tires.

If there are any ideas for the rear bumper that you feel are a must have please let me know.

That is all for now....

i have an idea for the start of a cheap bumper build. the rear bumper on my truck (1979 Ford F-100) was put on by the dealership when it was sold. its really thick and looks to be a good place to start if you were going to build your own bumper. maybe there are a few in the junkyard, i bet dodge and chevy did the same thing.

P.S. i love your truck build, its the reason i joined
    here is a pic if you wont laugh........

There is nothing wrong with an old shortbox Ford. I have one I keep on my parents place. Its a 78 F150 4x4 shorbox manual. Its sitting on 35s, swapped in a nice little 390 that refuses to die so I can install a 428 crank. It still starts and runs every time I go back home, sometimes a full year apart.

Thanks for joining, what are your expedition truck plans?

I am working up some rough stuff on my rear bumper for this thread that I will post up later tonight.

And I just had a friend loan me his sandblaster.....that bedliner stuff better watch out now!

Friend of mine with a long bed Ford built a rear bumper that wrapped under the bed, and slightly proud to the sheet metal, clear up to the rear of the rear wheel opening. In the side pieces near the rear he cut in large round holes and welded in a short section of same size piece of pipe. the ID of the hole and the length of the pipe were set so that a Hi-Lift jack's hook would index in the hole.

That's a "Hi-Boy" uncut on 37's.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

Thats what I am talking about...nice ride!

I like how the rear bumper comes around and follows the factory body line. That ford has been cut in front a bit on the front corner of the wheel well.
    I love the look and stance. That is almost exactly what I am going for on my truck. Simple, clean, and functional.

I am going to go get some decent pics of the bumper area of the truck so I can do some photoshoping of my ideas.

Its a bummer I got tied up last night with stuff, I hate it when I am too busy to work on the truck. I did get my lightweight filler and high build primer so I can start on the bodywork after I try the sandblaster out this weekend.

More later...

So here is my rough photoshop of my rear bumper idea to get a discussion going.

Like I said, rough ideas....

The body will need to be cut, that is why I am thinking about this now. I plan to cut the body and weld in a .250 rod along the edge to give it some very good structure.

I am debating if I should go to the body line on the dodge. Its a logical place to go to, but it is pretty high up on the body and cannot be wrapped around the sides under the taillights that well. I think I am going to have to step the sides to get the main part of the bumper to go under the tailgate when it is down. This adds a little complexity but not that much.

The main structure of the bumper is going to be 2x2 and 2x4 box I think. The 3d features I have in mind, which I couldn't really get to come through on the 'chop pictures are going to be made out of 3/16" plate. I think this will be plenty strong enough, I am even debating 1/8" for the weight savings.

Any more ideas?

I wasn't happy with the 'chop so I did a light solid model.

This isn't anywhere near complete, but I think it helps you see the shape I see in my head better.

The biggest things missing are the round corner details and some more 3D features on the ends. I basically want to have a triangle piece to seal up the bottom compound taper and another tied into the mud flap area to to the bottom piece. I think this will make the wrap around ends without having to tie them into the frame. The shackle hanger gets in the way of this, as does the planned 4" exhaust that will exit the side of the bumper. I will probably french in a section of 5" tube instead of just the 5" hole like in the pictures.

Feedback?

Ok, I think this gives a pretty good idea of the two pieces I want to add. I am having a Solidworks moment right now and cannnot get the 3D planes to work like I want.

I think with these two plates added in this would be pretty strong. I could always run another plate to the main frame brackets.

I do worry about these 'buckets' collecting mud and water. Some drain holes are going to be in order I think.

Hopefully I can go to the junkyard this weekend and get another fuel door to french into the bedside for my aft auxiliary tank. I may try and use a Ramcharger fuel tank if I can find one ( and the 3 rear most crossmembers you need to install it ). I may also just build the tank so I can taper the back more and have clearance for my new exhaust.

Thats all for tonight....

Quote Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
    Thanks for joining, what are your expedition truck plans?
    i mostly want to do some overnight trips around the memphis area. im still working on getting it in top shape. its 2wd with a 240c.i. inline six with a 3 on the tree. i plan on putting a 300c.i. inline six, a 4 or 5 speed, selectable locker, a cheapo topper. i want to make it as light as possible with some fiberglass body pannels and the use of plastics where ever i can. once it gets a little warmer around here, im going to be doing alot more work.

P.S. the truck's name is Blue Bomber, im just Michael.

I would delete the lower side panel and either bring the exhaust out under the bumper, or raise it up and come through the upper portion. Sherman also tied the front ends of those side pieces back to the frame.

For the lower parts of the rear portion, I would use long mitered rectangular tube. For a heavy truck 1/8" might be a bit thin depending on where in the bumper it is. I think 1/4" would be uncalled for except in areas where it might make contact with rocks, and then 3/8" thick might be appropriate if that is expected to happen fairly frequently. Laminating those areas would be better than carrying the extra thickness in the rest of the tube where it's not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
    snip....

That ford has been cut in front a bit on the front corner of the wheel well.
    Not cut, bent! Oopsie!!
    Last edited by ntsqd; 03-13-2009 at 03:11 PM.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast