Project: Doitall Dodge

mopowa

Glad to hear your still hashing away at it! It's a dreadfully slow and painfull process, especially when you having the weather to deal with!

As far as tires go, I really like my Toyo M/T's, they are real nice and are quiet on the highway with tons of grip in the bush....though not so good in wet road conditions, though I do run more than the suggested tire pressure:coffeedrink: which may have some to do with that. Look around for a used set, you may get lucky as they are a fairly expensive tire!

Looking forwards to seeing some progress pictures!:sombrero:

Rambow

pitbull radial maddogs-38x13.5x16, Iv read some good reviews about these specific tires. 10ply, true 38.5 inches tall,skinney for 13.5" and fairly cheap for a larger tire, about $350 ? apiece. Im leenin towards these for my next tire purchase. X2 on the toyos m/t if ya can get a good used set for cheap.

huntinguy

Any updates? I've been lurking on this forum for a while and I finally joined. Love your truck.:26_7_2: I have an 89 Cummins and I just put a four inch lift on it tonight.:wings:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Sorry, no updates yet. Paint is still in progress, might be done this weekend....hopefully the cab at least. The front clip and bed are painted, and I can do the doors inside if I need to.

I need to order two new mirrors for the doors. I need to get some good factory style replacements. I have some generic 3 points and they are driving me NUTS. They are total junk.

I also need to order a full seal set for the doors and windows....I will most likely pull all this stuff to paint and its pretty far gone....circa 1992 or older :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Sorry guys, no pics yet. The truck is mostly painted. All I have left is the doors and cowl piece. I need to order replacement seals and felt for the doors. I also need to replace the front grill shell, inserts, etc. Overall the truck already looks about 100% better. Its FAR from perfect, but its one color, cheap to repair, and simple.

I think I am going to need some new tires soon. I'm struggling with what to install. Nothing really fits what I want. I would love to just find another set of the Michelin's and install them on some 9" wide wheels for better wear.

The inside of the bed is going towards version 3.0 now. I need to mount a full size spare, some spare fuel cans, and some other misc stuff.

The interior will be my winter project I think. It needs a color change and some new seats for sure!

It still gets driven every day to work....what a fun daily driver :)

mor4wd

Observer
You always have the option of regrooving the tires you have now. It would make them lighter, more flexible, and you can choose your tread pattern.

huntinguy

Love your truck man. I don't think You've seen mine. Not planning on going as big with the tires but it works for me.
truck223.jpg

truck228.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Cool truck.

Does anyone have any links to companies that re-groove tires? I can't imagine that there is THAT much rubber on them? They are down to about 37" tall on the truck now....

I had an hour of extra time in the shop at work so I knocked this up out of some scrap. Its a NATO fuel can mount that holds 4 cans. It fits ahead of the passenger rear wheel well in the bed. I wanted to fit 5 cans but could only get 4 in that space with the camper shell lip. It isn't anything fancy, but it works. I will be using a small ratchet strap to hold them down once its bolted to the floor. With the lids/caps facing outwards you can git them under the bed rail gaining another inch or two of room in the middle of the bed. This only overlaps my sleeping/cargo area by about 1-2"

IMAG0123.jpg

I will be mounting a full size spare tire on the other side of the bed when I finally decide on my new tires.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Opps! ARRRRGGGGGG....what what that pop?....oh...that was the steering box bracket AGAIN!

Well, Those big old tires are hard on things! I ripped an ear off the steering box again. I was on pavement trying to get out of a TIGHT parallel parking space and POP. I think I had one of the front tires against the curb.

Sooooo. Its time for a more permanent solution, but first I will have to weld it back together again till I can get parts.

I called the local dodge dealer and got another bracket coming. Even though I don't think I will use this in the long run. I think it will be good to have around. For those with 1st Gen Dodge trucks I suggest you buy two, replace the one you have now with a new one, and keep a spare IN THE TRUCK. The part number is 52037876 from Dodge ( Its was $19 here local ).

I think for most people exotic solutions are out of the question. Changing the steering system to another style and/or hydraulic assisted might be the best solution, but most people just don't want to go that far.

There is a factory brace that was available.

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catalog/item/2901766/4541374.htm

12-08-06-_2.jpg

The 1970s solution, before Dodge tried to get cheap and use 2wd parts on all trucks, was a cast iron bracket and vertical rotation steering box and arm. These are much more beefy if you can find them.....

So what should I do for the DoItAll?

I think I need to break down and convert to hydraulic assist crossover steering.....

Anyone have any other ideas?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, that is my general thought, but I think it's going to be rather challenging with my no/low lift ( and kinda thick springs ). We are going to find out soon I think.....

Bogie

Observer
That's whats holding me up my springs are too thick and the tie rod hits the spring pack before reaching the steering arm, I am using Heims and could space it up but I don't want to put that much leverage in the bolts.

0811090850.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles