Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
So here is my rough photoshop of my rear bumper idea to get a discussion going.

dodgebumperone.jpg

dodgebumpertwo.jpg

Like I said, rough ideas....

The body will need to be cut, that is why I am thinking about this now. I plan to cut the body and weld in a .250 rod along the edge to give it some very good structure.

I am debating if I should go to the body line on the dodge. Its a logical place to go to, but it is pretty high up on the body and cannot be wrapped around the sides under the taillights that well. I think I am going to have to step the sides to get the main part of the bumper to go under the tailgate when it is down. This adds a little complexity but not that much.

The main structure of the bumper is going to be 2x2 and 2x4 box I think. The 3d features I have in mind, which I couldn't really get to come through on the 'chop pictures are going to be made out of 3/16" plate. I think this will be plenty strong enough, I am even debating 1/8" for the weight savings.

Any more ideas?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I wasn't happy with the 'chop so I did a light solid model.

This isn't anywhere near complete, but I think it helps you see the shape I see in my head better.

solid3.jpg

solid5.jpg

solid6.jpg

solid7.jpg

The biggest things missing are the round corner details and some more 3D features on the ends. I basically want to have a triangle piece to seal up the bottom compound taper and another tied into the mud flap area to to the bottom piece. I think this will make the wrap around ends without having to tie them into the frame. The shackle hanger gets in the way of this, as does the planned 4" exhaust that will exit the side of the bumper. I will probably french in a section of 5" tube instead of just the 5" hole like in the pictures.

Feedback?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ok, I think this gives a pretty good idea of the two pieces I want to add. I am having a Solidworks moment right now and cannnot get the 3D planes to work like I want.

solid9.jpg

I think with these two plates added in this would be pretty strong. I could always run another plate to the main frame brackets.

I do worry about these 'buckets' collecting mud and water. Some drain holes are going to be in order I think.

Hopefully I can go to the junkyard this weekend and get another fuel door to french into the bedside for my aft auxiliary tank. I may try and use a Ramcharger fuel tank if I can find one ( and the 3 rear most crossmembers you need to install it ). I may also just build the tank so I can taper the back more and have clearance for my new exhaust.

Thats all for tonight....

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Thanks for joining, what are your expedition truck plans?

i mostly want to do some overnight trips around the memphis area. im still working on getting it in top shape. its 2wd with a 240c.i. inline six with a 3 on the tree. i plan on putting a 300c.i. inline six, a 4 or 5 speed, selectable locker, a cheapo topper. i want to make it as light as possible with some fiberglass body pannels and the use of plastics where ever i can. once it gets a little warmer around here, im going to be doing alot more work.

P.S. the truck's name is Blue Bomber, im just Michael.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I would delete the lower side panel and either bring the exhaust out under the bumper, or raise it up and come through the upper portion. Sherman also tied the front ends of those side pieces back to the frame.

For the lower parts of the rear portion, I would use long mitered rectangular tube. For a heavy truck 1/8" might be a bit thin depending on where in the bumper it is. I think 1/4" would be uncalled for except in areas where it might make contact with rocks, and then 3/8" thick might be appropriate if that is expected to happen fairly frequently. Laminating those areas would be better than carrying the extra thickness in the rest of the tube where it's not needed.

snip....

That ford has been cut in front a bit on the front corner of the wheel well.
Not cut, bent! Oopsie!!

Last edited:

wely

Observer
I like your design for the rear bumper. It is giving me ideas for a rear buper for my excursion. By the way what is the white stuff beside you truck? That sure is funny looking sand!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the comments.

ntsqd,

I want a little more 3D shape to the bumper than I can get easily with some cut box tubing. I need to find a place to tie the corners back into the frame that doesn't interfere with the shackle hanger. Other than the main brackets that tie into the frame you won't see anything thicker than 3/16 on the truck. I think its far to easy to build with heavier material ending up with a truck that is like 10,000lbs. Its already heavy, I don't need any more. I am hopping the the bumper is designed with enough clearance that I won't be smacking it that much. This is also not going to be a super rock crawler, I have other things for that. This truck is suppose to be able to do most everything without getting too carried away in one area....or cost a fortune.

Any more pictures of the 'bent' front fenders on that ford?

Wely,

Yeah, its called cold sand! Its funny its been in the high 50s and into the 60s here and the snow still hasn't melted off.....yeah...we get that much. Have you started in on your expedition yet?

Michael,

Have you thought about a winch for your ol' 2wd ford? You can get yourself into a lot of trouble even in a 2wd ford, especially if you install a locker. Any thoughts of going with a pre-runner type suspension....that could make for a fun fire road type expedition truck.

This weekend isn't going to produce much in the way of dodge work. I had to take a class for work this morning and have a pending trailer project that needs wrapped up. I am going to try out the sandblaster to see how it works on the bedliner tomorrow and maybe pound out a few dents. I also need to figure out if I am going to do any expanding of the wheel wells for bigger tires.

I am still torn between 37s and 35s. With some fender work I think I can run the 37s with even less height than I have now. I wouldn't mind dropping the truck about 1-2" and running some 37s. If I don't cut the fenders I am pretty much stuck with 35s AND I have to stay at the height I am at now.

Votes? 35s or 37s?

If I go with 35s I can keep the factory axles and 3.54 gears easy enough.

If I go with 37s I would need to go with 4.10s....and that might be easier if I just swap in a GM 14-bolt in the back. I can get the entire axle for less than most D70 gears. The 14-bolt is also the same width as the front axle, not 2.5" narrower like the factory D70.

I also need to start thinking about the front bumper and winch.

Ideas?

And the rocker guards.

Ideas?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This is a test post. i am on my new little super phone.

I did get to work on the dodge today a bit, i am kinda bummed that i didn't get more feedback on the project. I guess everyone is out enjoying the nice weather?

I did a little test with the sand blaster. The bedliner came right off. It's a little slow with my small compressor. I will have a pic up later.

I started prepping the replacement fender also. I was able to remove all the trim and badges. No rust so far.I stared at the fender for a long time trying to figure out what i am going to do to stretch the opening for a little more room.

The new tailgate is also detrimmed and on the truck. as i stripped the trim off i found some more dents but its still much better than my old one. It also opens and closes on both sides now!

I will try and get some pics up tonight.

post your thoughts! i enjoy the feedback.

UHAULER

Explorer
I vote for keeping it as low as possible and running 35 or 37's. I have to make a choice for my truck, I want to keep it low so I'm debating 285's or 315's. Right now the 315's are winning:sombrero:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The truck isn't going any higher than it is, it might even come down an inch in the front. I am having one of those days where I just can't bring myself to cut the truck all up to open the wheel wells for 37s. 315s fit on the truck really nice right now. I think I could even bring the front down an inch or two.

Here is a bad 'chop of what I want to do....

This is a pretty typical dodge with 35s and a 4" lift...

P1251530.jpg

Here is the same truck...now a regular cab....with the fenders lengthened and the suspension dropped back down to stock.

cutandlowered.jpg

I would rather have a nice low truck on bigger tires. If I could run 37s and drop 2" of suspension height that would be the best. That would be 1" lower than my current suspension and the 35s.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

jdholder

Explorer
Bigger the tires/better the angles, approach, departure and breakover.

The only way my Excursion works at all is with the 40's.

I'd go big and cut cut cut.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I couldn't find a camper shell to chop on the picture, but this is pretty much what I want. Nice and low on 37s, tapered rear bumper, etc. This is also very close to the color I am going to paint the truck once the body work is finished.

cutandlowered37s.jpg

Its nice to have something to look at to give me some perspective.

I swear this is going to be an expedition truck. One of the main intents with this project is to have a truck to do long trips out of the back of. I have been looking for a nice fiberglass camper shell that is only cab high. The only current production model I know of is one from Leer. Its a nice camper and has the options I want, but I don't know if I can spend that much money on it. I think I am going to have to look for something used. I think I can use anything off an older truck with a non-taper bed. I have a pretty sweet design for a roll up 2-cot system in the bed. This way I don't have to sacrifice the usefulness of an open bed area during the week.

wely

Observer
I think you shoulld look for one of the commercial truck tops that have a single or double door on the rear. That would help with some of you tailgate problems because you have to remove it.

1speed

Explorer
I'm facing the same dilemma with my 01 3500 that I want to do a SRW on.

I vote 37's and cut! :wings: But oooh! 40's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles