Project: Doitall Dodge

lstzephyr

wanderer
My boost gauge is tapped into the manifold as well. I'm at about 2k ft here. I had the truck in Mexico a couple days ago and was probably at about 3k there and I couldn't tell a difference in boost. So I would say your truck probably is making more boost than mine because of the altitude difference.

I cranked the full fuel screw in about 3/4-1 turn, but I didn't remove the collar. I am surprised you got that much boost(30ish) by 2 full turns. Maybe I need to break that collar off and turn that in a bit more. I still intend to bump the timing sometime too. My truck does have some sort of aftermarket exhaust too, I think it is 4in, at least 3.5in. Its all the way from the turbo back.

Last edited:

SChandler

Adventurer
My boost gauge is tapped into the manifold as well. I'm at about 2k ft here. I had the truck in Mexico a couple days ago and was probably at about 3k there and I couldn't tell a difference in boost. So I would say your truck probably is making more boost than mine because of the altitude difference.

I cranked the full fuel screw in about 3/4-1 turn, but I didn't remove the collar. I am surprised you got that much boost(30ish) by 2 full turns. Maybe I need to break that collar off and turn that in a bit more. I still intend to bump the timing sometime too. My truck does have some sort of aftermarket exhaust too, I think it is 4in, at least 3.5in. Its all the way from the turbo back.

It might have been more like 3 turns, I don't remember off hand, I'd have to look at my notes on it. I turned it up higher, but had problems with tearing the tips off of the shutdown solenoid. I know I turned it down from there, so I think I'm at +2-2.5 turns from stock.

The truck didn't hit 30+psi until I got all of the mods on there: tweaked pump settings, DDP fuel pin, exhaust, BHAF, 3200rpm gov. spring, and a 16cm turbine housing. Turning the fuel screw certainly made the biggest difference. The real fun begins after you pull the collar off of it. Just be careful of runaway. Keep a board handy to choke the air to the turbo with if you start playing a lot with the fuel screw.

The only things I haven't done to the engine that I'd still like to do are the low pressure lift pump and the injection pump timing bump. Eventually, I'll get around to those two things, time and money pending.

teleturns

Adventurer
So it looks like I just purchased a he351ce for $320 shipped. The guy lives up in Fruita, so it should be here soon. He said it was from an 04.5 with 30,000 miles. They upgraded to a aftermarket turbo. It comes with the waste gate solenoid and the cast exhaust elbow. It is missing the clamp to go from the elbow to the exhaust, so I'll need to figure that out.

If you know anyone who wants the 60mm upgrade and the 16cm exhaust housing I'll make them a deal. They only have 5000 miles or so.

When my truck was stock there was no way I could pass 15 psi.

At the intake manifold my truck currently will make 25-27 psi. My buddy who has the Bosch 190's and an auto tranny can hit 30-32 psi.

I am sure I could increase my psi with some turns of the fuel screw, but I don't want the related temperatures.

Next time I am in your area I may want to try your fuel gauge on my new low pressure piston pump

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yup, I was just going to make it....

I think I am going to use the Diamond Eye exhaust so I will have to cut off the factory 3" flange and weld on the new one anyways....

I thought I read that you can use the flange off the downpipe also, it is suppose to be the same size as the one at the exhaust housing. The factory 3rd gen uses a cast elbow, but the downpipe is steel. You can then weld the steel downpipe flange to a 4" exhaust. I don't know how easy it would be to find one though?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This showed up in the mail today....

IMAG0005.jpg

Time for a little high altitude performance!

Do do list for this project....

-buy a 4" Diamond Eye exhaust system
-Make a HE351 sized exhaust flange and weld it to the new 4" downpipe
-Make a new pipe to go from the compressor outlet to intercooler
-Buy a new v-band clamp for the exhaust housing
-Buy some new gaskets for the turbo orifices
-Modify the intake system for the new turbo compressor inlet.
-Make a plug to replace the electric solenoid in the compressor housing
-Install some real gauges ( fuel pres, boost, egt )
-Re-torque the head bolts.

I am probably forgetting some stuff....

lstzephyr

wanderer
Sweet! I'm thinking I may need to hop up my truck a little more now too. Although I will probably just turn the full power screw a little. I'm trying to get together a shackle flip right now.

Oh yeah, did you finish painting that truck yet?! Come on dude, show some overall pics of the thing. I painted my truck in a couple days, don't make me come up there and paint yours!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
We all can't live in areas where you can paint outside all year no matter what day because it never rails or changes temperature.... :) AND I had to try and cover up all my fender cutting with some filler! :)

I'm really close. I all I have left is the doors and cowl. I ordered up a small sandblaster today to strip the cowl and doors. I need to get some replacement rubber coming too. All the weather stripping in the doors and windows is pretty rotten.

So many projects...so little time.

I did find a piece of scrap today that will work for the downpipe flange. It was some super heavy wall 4" pipe, it is going to work perfect.

I am headed to EJS on Thursday after work.

lstzephyr

wanderer
What?!! You have seasons up there? What is that nonsense about? It actually rained here a couple weeks ago. I went out and stood in it, then went for a ride on the bike, then drove the truck around offroad. I guess you could say I miss the rain a bit.:sombrero:

The weatherstripping is falling off my truck as well. I really need new hinges though, so its hard to tell. The biggest problem with these trucks is that whole dodge bit falling off!

Please take a picture of the stock and new turbos side by side, I would like to see the size difference.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'll get a picture of the new(er) turbo and the old turbo when I do the install.

I'm pretty surprised how well this truck has held up overall. Its got 300K on it o so. Rust is minimal in the southwest, but I think you end up doing all the rubber and paint more since the sun bakes everything. My doors are from an '85 crew cab that was an air force truck then fire service then sat out in the New Mexico sun for who knows how long. All in all not that bad.....

I will say that dodge bodies are not the best. I think the metal on my old '78 Ford pickup is a thicker for sure.

The powertrain and drivetrain is great though! Everything is re-buildable, uses real bearings, and real seals.

Its basically like owning a late 1970s truck with a diesel.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
AAR from my weekend in Moab fro EJS....

-The new steering is SOOOOO much better. Driving on the highway, even bucking 50mph gusts, is a one handed deal. I also got it truck twisted up pretty good a few times, no rubbing or contact at all.

-The Michelins are about done. They are getting pretty noisy and bouncy on the highway at 60+mph. I need to replace them with something more 'modern'. Currently I am leaning toward the 38.5x13.5x16 Pitbull Maddog Radial.

-I got 18.8mpg average round trip. The weather was FAR from perfect and I drove about 65mph the entire way. I didn't flog the truck, but I didn't baby it either. I am always happy about mileage for the most part.....

-The truck works as is, but I think some 3.73 gears would be a bit better. The highway gear is just a bit tall for 65mph. 55 works great in 4th, 70 works great in 5th, but 65 is kinda stuck inbetween gears.

-I still like the ultra-simple rear camping setup. It was really nice to be able to pull off the road and have a 'bed' set up in like 2 minutes. Finding a flat parking area was the biggest problem. I am getting picky in my old age.

-The rough riding springs and shocks are annoying me. I think a lot of it was the tires, but the springs need to get gone. I think a trip to alcan won't be too far off in the grand plan.

My dream vehicle would be something about 3/4 the size of my existing truck but keeping the 1-ton diesel drivetrain. If I ever get REALLY tired of the body I could swap the guts into something like this....

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

yup, thats a 6cyl Cummins....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles