Scott39

Adventurer
AAR from my weekend in Moab fro EJS....
IMAG0009.jpg

yup, thats a 6cyl Cummins....

What kind of valve cover is that?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nothing fancy or exotic, but this was a good $37 invested....

IMAG0016.jpg

This is a really neat basic little receiver. It is only an AM/FM radio with the ability to play MP3 files through an SD card or USB stick ( as shown ). It doesn't have a cd player in it at all. I ordered up a 16 gig SD card but it hasn't shown up yet. I just dropped some songs on an old USB stick and plugged it in. It worked perfect. This is so nice and simple! The old alpine deck was done, it wouldn't play anything anymore. I ordered this little receiver off amazon.com for $37 delivered.

You will have to excuse the rough install. I had to use some of the old install kit that was in the truck....

This is just so simple. No skipping, No fuss, I don't have to carry CDs in the cab anymore. I usually listen to the radio, but on long lonely stretches of road it seems the only stations are country. That just isn't my thing.

I'm going to add a little more to the stereo system in the next few months. It won't be super fancy, but it should make a pretty big difference.

Just something fun....

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
That should work.

I did the same thing a while back but I went with a little higher end setup. I went with a Sony that was Ipod ready and got a 60gb Ipod, Heck the radio even has a remote. I remember saying years ago when car stereos first started coming with remotes "Why do you need a remote the radio is less than 18" from your hand" Now i'm lost without it. The cool thing about this setup is I can control the Ipod through the remote.

It sure is nice not having a crapload of CDs floating around the truck, All my music fits in the ashtray now.

Dodgepics001-8.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I need a new ashtray..

A 16 gig SD card was less than $20 shipped. That will give me more than enough music I hope.

So for $60 or so I have a 16-gig 'truck-pod' stereo system :) I guess I could plug my phone in also, that has a 32 gig card in it...

I ordered a set of 'affordable' 6.5" front separates. I am going to try and make some kick panel pods for them I think. I am looking for an affordable 4-channel amp? I can run the 6.5s off two channels and bridge the rear channels for a compact sub under the seat or tucked behind the seat.

Where was all this affordable stereo gear when I was in high school? It's amazing the quality of even the cheap gear these days. It might not be the fancy stuff, but generally it all seems to work pretty well....

trasko

Adventurer
I need a new ashtray..

A 16 gig SD card was less than $20 shipped. That will give me more than enough music I hope.

So for $60 or so I have a 16-gig 'truck-pod' stereo system :) I guess I could plug my phone in also, that has a 32 gig card in it...

I ordered a set of 'affordable' 6.5" front separates. I am going to try and make some kick panel pods for them I think. I am looking for an affordable 4-channel amp? I can run the 6.5s off two channels and bridge the rear channels for a compact sub under the seat or tucked behind the seat.

Where was all this affordable stereo gear when I was in high school? It's amazing the quality of even the cheap gear these days. It might not be the fancy stuff, but generally it all seems to work pretty well....

I got this amp and hooked it up exactly how you're describing in my F250:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013TVALU/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=gimsoxcom-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0013TVALU&adid=1XCZRTJVVMT1T41DW9M3&"]Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel[/ame]

There are others in this class of amps but this was the best I could find given my specific size requirements. I mounted it to some plywood and it's wedged between the rear bench and the side of the truck behind the driver's seat. Sounds like it'd overheat but it's been fine... For now I've just run a straight-up headphone jack to the ipod or whatever player and I've left wires dangling out of the dash where the receiver used to be. I call it my "passive anti-theft system."

lstzephyr

wanderer
That is a cool little head unit! Can you post/pm a link for that deck on amazon? I need to get a new deck for my truck. I have an old pioneer that has some issues. It has had a cd jammed in it for years, and I have been using a fm transmitter for my ipod. That needs to change!

A good stereo is essential for my traveling style. I can't even remember how many times I have been driving around on interstates at 3 am with the radio blasting to keep me awake. I have a decent stereo in my truck besides the head unit, some old subs and a decent amp. Its like cruising around in a club, locked in an old farm truck.:elkgrin:

I hope you enjoy your new stereo setup as much as I enjoy mine!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just remember....its a $37 head unit.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XR4110-3-5-mm-Mechless-Receiver/dp/B002OMB7FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1304345024&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Dual XR4110 AM/FM USB/SD/3.5-mm Mechless Receiver (Gray): Automotive[/ame]

I would say the only con so far for me would be that the amplifier in the deck is a little weaker than the last deck, but with far less distortion. I will be adding a small amp most likely. I don't have any alternator whine at all and the receiver seems to pick up a lot of stations....

sapper

Adventurer
If your still planning on using that 351 VGT turbo, have you considered getting a manifold from a late 3rd gen or early 4th gen with a 6.7L? I know of 6.7L users that have swapped on 2nd gen manifolds so why couldn't you do the same in reverse and save a bunch of time and effort. You may even find someone willing to purchase or trade for yours.

Also I know the fleece performance makes a stand alone controller for that turbo.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I picked up the HE351CW ( non-vgt, 04.5-07 5.9 turbo ).

From what I understand you can't swap the 3rd gen manifold on the older trucks because the turbo would be in the firewall.

The he351cw basically just bolts to the 1st-2nd gen manifold. The 2nd gen manifold is suppose to provide more even cylinder pressures or something over the 3rd gen style.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Time for tires....or 'how to double the value of the truck'

The current plan is to get a set of 38.5x13.5x16 Pitbull Maddog Radials....

131_1001_02_z+pit_bull_muddog_mt_tires+large_treads.jpg

You have a few days to talk me into something else. I have a trip to Idaho for the 4th and need something on before then.

In other news. I have both cars for about 10 days next week so I will hopefully be able to paint the doors!

I also got in some new 'affordable' 6.5" separates for the new stereo project. I'm thinking about building kick panel pods.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
After running the 325s for a few years and wearing them out....

A few notes....

-They are HEAVY. Changing one or even lifting one into the back of the truck takes planning and assistance.

-I don't think they like USA highway speeds. My truck is no speed demon, but at 65+ you can pretty much watch the tread melt off I think. Maybe I am just imagining, but they did seen to wear FAST on the highway. While this isn't what they where built for, I would have expected better from such a 'light' vehicle like mine. They are rated for 5000lbs per tire.

-In two years I never had a puncture. No nails, screws, sticks, or rocks made so much as a dent in these tires. This was with 7000lbs or truck. It was nice not having to worry about that.

-I ran them in the single digits in the snow. They didn't seem to care. No bead problems. I ran them in the low teens to high single digits on the rocks and in the sand at moab. Again, they didn't seem to care. No bead problems. This was with 8" rims and a 7000lb truck.

-They didn't wear even. This was probably my fault for balancing them with golf balls and running them on narrow rims. I did get 3 seasons out of a used set of tires though.

Still going Pitbull Maddog Radials in a week or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94