Project: Doitall Dodge

teleturns

Adventurer
Thank you gents for the replies. Sounds like the 2.5" Skyjacker springs fit my needs, I want a soft and compliant ride, and Im willing to accept some float with lean in the turns. Flexiheep, how is it with the sway bar removed? I was just planning to remove mine for more flex offroad, since I had done that in the past with a 1986 1/2 ton Chevy with no apparent negatives. Any chance you have record of the part number for the front springs? I have been looking and Skyjacker has numerous part numbers to sort through, I guess they lift less with the Cummins weight. Edit: maybe its just SummitRacing has it confusing. Under application for SJA-200s, it says 1", 2" and 2.5" ???

The SJA-D200S is a 2" lift for the Cummins trucks. I also noticed there is a SJA-D200CS which is also a 2" lift for the Cummins trucks. There is a $20 difference in price. I would reccomend a 2" lift spring and maybe a slightly longer shackle (no more than +1") for the front to obtain 2.5" lift. I have the SJA-D400S on my truck.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I think the cs didn't come with bushings. I got the d200s for my truck and they have worked well. It was a night and day difference when I first installed the springs.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A upgrade, holy cow!

20121123_134218.jpg

A low pressure piston lift pump. I noticed an increased ability to hold boost on long hills. My old pump was OLD....like hundred of thousands of miles old.
It was a pretty easy install, but a pain to reach some of the bolts over the fender. Who's idea was it to build this truck on 39s! Shaving the insulation cover on the side panel was a messy ordeal. I used a Dremal tool with a little wood trimming bit on it. It worked pretty well. Everything went back together like it was suppose to.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think it made a difference overall. It seems to start a little better, I think the previous pump was leaking down a bit maybe? Runs better overall. It also holds boost better on long hills. I think I was draining the old pump pretty good. Boost is up a bit. It is pretty easy to hit 15psi now with my mostly factory pump settings (at 7000+ft, only the fuel cone turned and some star wheel tuning ).

I shouldn't have to worry about the lift pump for a long long long time now. The piston unit should outlast the diaphragm unit and the engine has 300,000+ on it so.....

teleturns

Adventurer
Where did you get the new low pressure lift pump? How much was it? I did that mod maybe a year ago and didn't notice any difference. But I do agree that a piston pump is better than a diaphram.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I bought the kit from Oregon Fuel Injection. A complete kit was $140ish. That came with the pump, hard line, spacer, and gaskets.

My diaphram pump was OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDD. I don't think it was original, but it probably had way over 100K on it. I noticed some leak down issues and harder starting when it was cold. I also had some boost issues on long hills. I think it was pretty much just about dead. I was getting a little worried about it stranding me so I replaced it.....

teleturns

Adventurer
I bought the kit from Oregon Fuel Injection. A complete kit was $140ish. That came with the pump, hard line, spacer, and gaskets.

My diaphram pump was OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDD. I don't think it was original, but it probably had way over 100K on it. I noticed some leak down issues and harder starting when it was cold. I also had some boost issues on long hills. I think it was pretty much just about dead. I was getting a little worried about it stranding me so I replaced it.....

That's a good price for the kit. When I did mine I got the pump from Oregon Fuel Injection and the other parts from Cummins. It was more than $140 total. I will probably order that kit for my 4bt.

So now you are working on the new turbo installation.......:sombrero:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the turbo stuff is coming. Right now my biggest conundrum is what to do with the exhaust. If I ever want to make my center mounted winch idea I need to run the exhaust outside the frame. The new turbo is a pretty good time to do that, but dang it's a lot more work! If I ignore the future winch project I could just buy a 4" exhaust and weld on a new flange for the he351 turbo.

I also need to rebuild the front knuckles soon....

And about a million other little things!

teleturns

Adventurer
Yeah, the turbo stuff is coming. Right now my biggest conundrum is what to do with the exhaust. If I ever want to make my center mounted winch idea I need to run the exhaust outside the frame. The new turbo is a pretty good time to do that, but dang it's a lot more work! If I ignore the future winch project I could just buy a 4" exhaust and weld on a new flange for the he351 turbo.

I also need to rebuild the front knuckles soon....

And about a million other little things!

If you want to borrow the kingpin allen wrench I have it. I can drop it off over Christmas as I will be spending time in Durango. Let me know....We should go get a beer anyways....

justcuz

Explorer
Have you considered hitch mounting the winch? You could use it front or rear and all you would have to run are the power wires, allowing you to run the exhaust without having to redo it after the winch install. We had the ability to front rear or side mount our winch on our USAR truck at work and the portability of that setup was pretty cool.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Have you considered hitch mounting the winch? You could use it front or rear and all you would have to run are the power wires, allowing you to run the exhaust without having to redo it after the winch install. We had the ability to front rear or side mount our winch on our USAR truck at work and the portability of that setup was pretty cool.

I have almost killed myself a few times trying to move multi-mount winches from one end to the other in bad conditions (snow, ice, or mud ). Personally, I just don't like that kind of system. The winch never seems to be on the end you need it.....at least with my luck.

justcuz

Explorer
Never gave the slippery conditions much thought, but I would definately not want to jockey the winch around by myself all the time. Thats why you go wheeling with friends!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Never gave the slippery conditions much thought, but I would definately not want to jockey the winch around by myself all the time. Thats why you go wheeling with friends!

Then all you need is a quick tug with a strap! :)

When the trail is icy and the receiver you need to stick the winch in is now 5 feet in the air because the front end is buried in a ditch........not fun......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles