Project: Doitall Dodge

justcuz

Explorer
I went back through the thread and can't find were you installed the 3200 rpm spring and the newer necked down turbo. Did I miss it? I am really surprised that the 3.55's are doing as well as they are, a change up to 3.73's is only five per cent. Essentually at 1800 rpms with 3.55's you would be at 1890 with 3.73's. Do you feel it would make that much of a difference or is this just for accomodating a 14 bolt rear axle? Once you do change out to a 14 bolt, if you get a Gov-Lock you can remove the centrifigal locking mechanism and add steels and shims and make a tight LSD. The 14 bolt carrier is 2 piece so it is easy to remove the flyweight, springs and lockup sprag. With your large tires I would not want a working Gov-Lock, it would be too easy to damage the carrier during lock up with those tires. Just my 2 cents. I really liked the old mags you had on there, do you recall who made them?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
No spring or turbo yet. I have had the parts on the shelf for a LONG time though :)

The 3.73 thing is just a work around for the late model 14-bolt. If I could find a good deal on a 4.10 version I could be talked into going that way too. If i had factory 4.10 gears I probably would have already rented that mule, but having to do gears in the front also opens a super huge can of worms....

I'm not too confident in the gov-lock. I have been tossing around a few different ideas for lockers but really haven't found an option that I really like for the money.

bftank

Explorer
pretty sure if your 14 bolt has a gov lock you will need to get a standard non locker carrier to run a detroit or arb. something to keep in mind. don't remember if you had already picked up a different axle for it yet or not.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I haven't found an axle yet. I have been looking for a late model unit with factory disc brakes. They are not THAT cheap or easy to find...

Yes, from what I have read you cannot install a locker in the gov-lok case.

bftank

Explorer
if you want i can call around the yards up here and look for one for you. a couple months ago there was one in grand junction.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Metcalf... Awesome thread (two days of reading material!)! Don't get frustrated if people don't post a lot. I'm sure there are a LOT of lurkers like myself who feel we don't have a lot to contribute but REALLY appreciate all the ideas you present. Some of us are probably embarrassed to post since our talents are more limited and you think doing fender sectioning with a can opener, extension cord and a stick of welding rod and having it come out awesome is normal!

But seriously... Put in the damn 3200 spring and turbo already! :yikes: Just hook the turbo to the stock exhaust and see what you get.

Thanks for your efforts.

P.S. Update your sig with the flat fender build link.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Metcalf... Awesome thread (two days of reading material!)! Don't get frustrated if people don't post a lot. I'm sure there are a LOT of lurkers like myself who feel we don't have a lot to contribute but REALLY appreciate all the ideas you present. Some of us are probably embarrassed to post since our talents are more limited and you think doing fender sectioning with a can opener, extension cord and a stick of welding rod and having it come out awesome is normal!

But seriously... Put in the damn 3200 spring and turbo already! :yikes: Just hook the turbo to the stock exhaust and see what you get.

Thanks for your efforts.

P.S. Update your sig with the flat fender build link.

I wish I could nominate a post for best in the thread. It gave me a great laugh this morning!

The spring and turbo are on the list now, now that the fuel supply is good to go.

What flat fender build? :)

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Metcalf: I wondered if you would share with me some of your thoughts on biodiesel in these trucks. I used to work for a dealership that specialized in biodiesel vehicles in Seattle, so I'm well familiar with the gelling issues / need for a new fuel filter or two / etc., but we never did have a first gen in the shop to evaluate.

Since I've got a newish injection pump, I'm assuming the internal seals are either Viton or other biodiesel-compatable material. I'm curious if you have any other thoughts from your experience running bio in your truck.

Thanks!

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I'm curious if you have any other thoughts from your experience running bio in your truck.

Not to hijack the thread but anyone with a diesel should take a look at this report. (http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA326098). I run B20 from the only local station in the area that sells it. There is a fuel spec for this now so it should be pretty safe and the lubricity and detergent actions (not to mention the slightly cleaner burning) are all good reason to run this every few tankfuls (if you fill up with a 1/4 tank left you can alternate between B20 and dino fuel and get the lubricity you need).

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Since I never update this thread I figured everyone watching deserves a picture from the day to day life of this truck.....

20121217_171025.jpg

Pulled a big FedEx box truck out of the ditch on the way home from work today. Those things are kinda heavy and don't really have any tow points ( lame ). It took quite a bit of pressure in 4wd low range on the strap to get him to move sideways and then out of the ditch onto the road. I think I made the drivers day :sombrero:

Things like this is why I don't think I can ever give up driving a full size truck around.....

DakotaAdventurer

Never Satisfied
Pulls like this always make a guy feel good. Haha. I came across a semi (just the tractor) pulled over right in main street once last summer when I still had my Dakota. I drove around the block assessing the situation twice before I stopped and asked. I was REEEEEAAAAALLLLY hoping he needed a pull. Haha... I stopped and asked him and indeed he was stranded. He had a push button automatic transmission that was not going into gear. (First one of those I had ever seen) unfortunately he got it into gear while I was standing there talking to him. Woulda been a great pic pulling a truck with that Dakota. Even if it was just the cab. Haha

I live for big blizzards. Grab some tow chains and head out looking for stucks! A guy could really make good money if he accepted the money offered by the embarrassed drivers. The pride of "nah, just another tally in the scoreboard for my truck" is worth more than the tow $$!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles