Project: Doitall Dodge

livetoride21

Adventurer
WOW! just spent some time over a couple days reading over your thread, such a great looking truck and love the fab work.
Keep her alive!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A little mod after a few years....

After a few years of running the high steer conversion I built, I noticed that the washer I was using under the springless arm was bending depending on use. I was running a 1/8" thick hardened steel washer. That just wasn't enough. This new one is 1/4" thick hardened steel. I ended up having to make a small spacer to go under the steering arm to give me enough clearance. I should have milled a pocket in the bottom of the steering arm but I didn't have any way to do that at home easily.

Just a small mod/tweak. I have a few more things on the list that need addressed if I can find the shop time and motivation.

I have been looking around at 3rd gen trucks lately too. I figure I need to address some of the small issues I have if I keep the truck or sell it.

The old thing just keep chugging along.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The updated steering modification was worth it. After driving it for a few days it made a pretty big improvement to the steering feel. I was getting a little shake/wobble at 40-50mph that I thought was the tires. I guess it was more the steering because that totally went away.

Now I need to look at the brakes. My booster is leaking a bit causing hard pedal and lack of full assist. Lame.

lstzephyr

wanderer
What have you been torquing your springless caps to metcalf? I'm running 25 ft lbs on my crossover conversion and it tends to be slow to return to center.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What have you been torquing your springless caps to metcalf? I'm running 25 ft lbs on my crossover conversion and it tends to be slow to return to center.

I have never put a torque wrench on it. I'll try and check it next time. Mine returns to center like normal....

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Love the build, working on the same generation truck now. Doing the 4wd conversion once its up and running (hopefully this weekend) and then after baselining everything I plan on acquiring everything for a Cummins swap. Keep up the good work

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I spent a few hours rebuilding the clutch master cylinder mount again. The mount was torn/cracked where it meets the firewall. I got everything back in place and welded it up. After 300-350K now I don't really fault it. The clutch works so much better now. I am going to have to learn to drive it again. The transmission also shifts WAY better now that the clutch is fully disengaging.

Stuff like this always starts to stack up, one day you just have to do something about it...

Kmehr

Adventurer
Metcalf- after all the tires help, i checked out your thread and just finished reading the whole thing. Really love what you did with it. Particularly like how you have resisted the urge to go crazy with it and keep it simple. I'm trying to do the same thing with my truck but it's hard!

I saw that you might be looking for a new seat- I found some out of a 2010 Dodge at a junk yard. Its a split bench and is really comfortable with tons of storage in the middle seat. Just a thought, love your truck. hope mine is on the road soon like yours!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Metcalf- after all the tires help, i checked out your thread and just finished reading the whole thing. Really love what you did with it. Particularly like how you have resisted the urge to go crazy with it and keep it simple. I'm trying to do the same thing with my truck but it's hard!

I saw that you might be looking for a new seat- I found some out of a 2010 Dodge at a junk yard. Its a split bench and is really comfortable with tons of storage in the middle seat. Just a thought, love your truck. hope mine is on the road soon like yours!

Thanks a lot. It's nice to see people still reading this thread.

The ol' dodge just keeps going. I have been daily driving it since I put it together. Knock on wood, it has been one of the most reliable vehicles ever. My only real issue has been little stuff and getting fuel that has gelled. The truck still returns mileage in the high teens to low 20s depending on what I am doing.

Hopefully when the weather is nice this summer I can drive the flat fender to work for a few weeks, and give the truck a little love...

Tacoclaw

Metcalf, could you tell me how you go about removing the clutch master cylinder pushrod?

Thanks

LIGHTLY clamp the master cylinder in a vise.
Take a long hardened pick and reach in and fold one of the tabs back, then use a twisting, pulling motion on the rod and it'll pop out.

All it takes is getting the end to go past ONE of the tabs.

Done several to make the 2nd gen master work on a 1st gen before.

Mark.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Pretty much what he said. Mine was pretty much the same.
There is a small clip on the end that you need to push IN to get the rod to come out.
I used a very sharp pick and some light hammer taps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste