Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dunno if the Dodge is gone or not but thanks so much for documenting everything you did with it. I like your "keep it simple" approach. And that you just used it all the time too.

You live in a great area too! The wife and I had fun at the Strater many moons ago. Went back with the kids 20 years later and stayed in Silverton doing (easy) trails around there. Really beautiful part of the country.

Thank you. I still have it. Nobody has shown up with a fist full of cash just yet.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
in a previous post you said the truck has it's limitations. I can't imagine any. Beautiful job.

Ah. This truck is just too big for the crazy places I tend to end up, for everything else it works really well.
I tend to be a little more bias towards tight technical type wheeling where full size vehicles typically will have the bodies destroyed over time.

I still love this thing for everything else though. I still drive it to work every day.

PawPah

spring?

Ah. This truck is just too big for the crazy places I tend to end up, for everything else it works really well.
I tend to be a little more bias towards tight technical type wheeling where full size vehicles typically will have the bodies destroyed over time.

I still love this thing for everything else though. I still drive it to work every day.

Did you ever get the spring and turbo done? I will be starting on my 93 this week.

Kmehr

Adventurer
Man if you're thinking of selling, I'd be really tempted! Do you have a replacement daily lined up?

AK.xplorer

Observer
How's your truck running? After having owned my 1992 Dodge W350 for almost two months now, I'm very impressed. 212,000 miles on the odometer. Naturally having a preference for inline six engines, I'm really liking the 6bt. The five speed manual is nice too. The engine is very noisey, but I can deal with that, since this truck is only used for work. Unfortunately, I've had to sink about 3 grand into the truck so far:
Raptor truck bed liner.
KYB shocks
MBRB Muffler
MBRB resonator
Oil Change
All other fluids changed
New seals in front and rear axle
Every single component of the brakes were replaced as well, to include a few brake lines too.

Next up will be all leaf spring bushings, paint job, front winch bumper, rebuild 205 transfer case and I'm done with it. The NP 205's are indeed stout, but the vibration and minor leaks deserve some attention.

Due to the heft of the truck: 6700 lbs, and the size of that dana 70 pumpkin, I'm not liking how easily it got stuck on my land with the 235/85 tires in soft soil. So, 35x10.50 ssr's are an absolute must. I was thinking about using the stock wheels, but then there's those darn american white spokes that simply belong on an old American pickup.

My last trip north I had 2000 lbs of shore blocks, generator, tools, and an 800 lb wood stove in the truck bed. 19 mpg in the mountains. The low end torque and fuel economy is really nice.
I couldn't think of a more humble, simpler nor tougher truck than a 1st gen dodge cummins. It's something that reminds me of what trucks used to be, before all these punk little millennials started driving around all these show-boatsy ************ mobiles they call trucks nowadays.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
No. I am a slacker.
I have been working on my new landcruiser truck thing.
I still drive the dodge every day. It keeps running. I can't complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles