Project: Doitall Dodge

wely

Observer
I would put a heavy blanket or some carpeting between the plywood and the air matress. I am speaking from experience. I used one like that for one night and about half way through the night the air leaked out because the plywood poked holes in the mattress. Just a thought keep up the good work.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The platform turned out better than I thought. It was a function before form design. I only wanted to use one 4x8 sheet of plywood/chipboard. I ended up cutting the sleeping platform 75" long and took the leftovers and make two 10" wide sections to add to the side to make a platform 75x58" which was the perfect size for a double/full size bed. We had the old airbed in the spare room so it got tossed in the back.

The leg position was dictated by the front to back stringers. I just wanted the legs to be screwed in on two sides.

It was all quick and dirty. The platform is pretty heavy really but it is nice you can lift it up to get to the underside. I plan on tossing the spare tire and some bags/bins back there for the trip this weekend.

I would suggest using a foam mattress topper instead of the airbed. I think you could gain about 4" of headroom over the bed that way.

The lift up feature was quick and worked, but I don't know how long it would hold up off the road?

I am sure I will have a much better idea of what I want in the back of the truck after a little while with this setup. Just having a nice soft, dry, and warm place to sleep is going to be really sweet!

After thinking about it last night I am leaning toward NOT having the spare tire in the back ( perhaps move it outside or under the truck ), the sleeping platform would be full width with compartments on the 4 corners with lids. A nice 3" thick foam mattress. And perhaps have two super long side out drawers in the middle with modular boxes in/on them. I have been thinking about making one of the drawers a kitchen/bath setup with a stove and sink that slides out past the tailgate?

Thanks for the complements. I'll try and keep the updates coming!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I made it back from the Moab trip safe and sound. The truck/camper/trailer combo worked good. It was so nice not to have to set up and take down camp each day. Also, not having to worry about driving the Willys all the way home let me have a little more fun on the trail.

P1010278Medium.jpg

The album of pics is here.....some good ones I think.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/Metcalfphoto/Moab may 2009/

We ended up doing Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, and Gold Bar Rim.

I also didn't see another flat fender jeep the entire time I was there.....:)

Rot Box

Explorer
Looks like you had a good time :)

Fun trails too. Some of those climbs on Fins and Things must have felt like they were strait up and down in a swb Jeep!

Did you check the fuel milage while towing?

BlueBomber

Adventurer
you tires look weird! what did you do, rip-off a honda civic?:sombrero: J/K.

glad you got back safe. have you done anything to get better MPG?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I try and not drive too fast. That seems to help mileage the most. I tend to run about 63-67 most of the time. I actually think the mileage went down a touch with the smaller tires.

RgrBox

Adventurer
I0m getting around 670 kms out of my Defender since I only drive at around 100 to 110 kph. Usually I have to fill her up once a week.

I'm also running the issue Michelin tires on my Defender.. but I will pit a new pair of BF Goodriches when I need new tires.. sure this will hurt my consumption.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its just more RPM for the same speed. I think the truck was kind of at a sweet spot before. It wasn't the fastest thing on the road but the gearing worked out pretty good for mileage if you kept your foot out of it.

I will be back to where I was before with the bigger tires and 4.10s, or at least close enough I think.

The big Cummins doesn't need a lot of RPM to push the truck down the road.

Kilroy

Adventurer
With smaller tires, your odometer is showing more distance than what you are traveling. A Scan Gauge II and a GPS is useful in determining what actual distance and speed is.

Its just more RPM for the same speed. I think the truck was kind of at a sweet spot before. It wasn't the fastest thing on the road but the gearing worked out pretty good for mileage if you kept your foot out of it.

I will be back to where I was before with the bigger tires and 4.10s, or at least close enough I think.

The big Cummins doesn't need a lot of RPM to push the truck down the road.

mor4wd

Observer
The truck is looking great! You need to get those fenders finished so we can see what it's going to look like. It was nice meeting you.
btw, here's a picture of what your tires came off of....

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 278

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I always have to use a GPS for speed/distance stuff. The odometer has been way off since I bought the truck.

With the little tires I am running more RPM for a given speed. With the big diesel this RPM really isn't needed, so I think it costs me fuel mileage. With the 315s the truck would just float along at a nice low rpm. With the more stock sized tires the truck is spinning the motor a little too fast. I could slow the motor down to where the 'magic' spot was before, but then I would be going too slow for most traffic. I think with the new big tires and 4.10s it will be much better overall.

I am working on the truck as much as I can. It still has to do its chores like haul water and stuff :)

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, the sweet spot, depending on WHO you talk to... is 1500-1900(widest range).....

Mine is pretty consistent, with around 19 avg per tank(mixed traffic and hwy), and I TRY to keep the speed around 70.. maybe even down to 65... that puts it 1800-2000( I dont really pay TOO much attention)....I pay more attention to my Pyro than my tach.... and try to keep it at around 600* on the hwy, though, kinda hard with larger sticks.. it moves pretty quick....

But, thats a p-pumped 12v....

Truck is coming along just fine... keep it up...

Chase

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Did you see that article in the new DieselPower mag? Garmon Diesel built a shortbed dodge 1500 with a p-pump 12valve.

There is a small blurb about the owner running the truck at like 1300rpm at 60mph, keeping it at 600 degrees, and basically driving like he was really old :)

Anyways...the truck returned something like 55mpg! Amazing!

Its a much smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic package in the 1500 2wd chassis for sure....but stilll.....dang.

The engine is running twin turbos, extrude honed injectors, etc. It will lay down 700hp to the wheels on the rollers!

Cool.....

I love diesels!

With my truck and the 315s I think the sweet spot was about 1600rpm for 63-65mph. Look back a few posts for the California camper and tire fetch report. The truck AVERAGED over 20mpg with a best of 24.5! Not too bad at all! For the shape of a brick anyways!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra