Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Doitall Dodge

Its a work truck. I regularly carry a 400 gallon water tank in the bed to fill the cistern at the house.

I do like the idea however! That would be trick.

Put the tank on a dedicated trailer?
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

I have a trailer...but it has to carry the Willys...like to Moab this weekend!

Woo Hoo

Man, I don't want to sleep in a tent this weekend in Moab, I wish I had a way to sleep in the back of the truck comfortably for a little bit till I get the truck more finished....

I know. I'll built it after work today!

So after a $30 trip to home depot this is what I came up with. Keep in mind this was made in two hours! I think it will work just fine for the trip this weekend. The air bed is HUGE and will be SUPER comfortable!

There is plenty of room for two and gear. I just tossed some stuff in there for scale.

It hinges at the back, and though a little heavy, allows you to store larger things like the spare tire under it.

Super simple mounting hinge and location. I think the hinges and hardware where $10.

I will build in something else down the road. This will work fine for now.

Fun stuff....
    Last edited by Metcalf; 05-07-2009 at 03:33 AM.

if i had a nice, covered truck bed, i know i would'nt want to sleep in a tent. the platform looks pretty good! how sturdy are the legs? if it was permanent, how would you change it?

P.S. your build is the reason I am on here everyday! thanks for all the updates!

I would put a heavy blanket or some carpeting between the plywood and the air matress. I am speaking from experience. I used one like that for one night and about half way through the night the air leaked out because the plywood poked holes in the mattress. Just a thought keep up the good work.
    W. Dennis Ely, Jr.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 2x4
    2002 Toyota 4-runner 2x4
    2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 (Mothership)(Burned to the Ground)
    1997 Ford F-150 4x4 (Sold with 350,000 miles)
    1946 CJ -2A

The platform turned out better than I thought. It was a function before form design. I only wanted to use one 4x8 sheet of plywood/chipboard. I ended up cutting the sleeping platform 75" long and took the leftovers and make two 10" wide sections to add to the side to make a platform 75x58" which was the perfect size for a double/full size bed. We had the old airbed in the spare room so it got tossed in the back.

The leg position was dictated by the front to back stringers. I just wanted the legs to be screwed in on two sides.

It was all quick and dirty. The platform is pretty heavy really but it is nice you can lift it up to get to the underside. I plan on tossing the spare tire and some bags/bins back there for the trip this weekend.

I would suggest using a foam mattress topper instead of the airbed. I think you could gain about 4" of headroom over the bed that way.

The lift up feature was quick and worked, but I don't know how long it would hold up off the road?

I am sure I will have a much better idea of what I want in the back of the truck after a little while with this setup. Just having a nice soft, dry, and warm place to sleep is going to be really sweet!

After thinking about it last night I am leaning toward NOT having the spare tire in the back ( perhaps move it outside or under the truck ), the sleeping platform would be full width with compartments on the 4 corners with lids. A nice 3" thick foam mattress. And perhaps have two super long side out drawers in the middle with modular boxes in/on them. I have been thinking about making one of the drawers a kitchen/bath setup with a stove and sink that slides out past the tailgate?

Thanks for the complements. I'll try and keep the updates coming!

I made it back from the Moab trip safe and sound. The truck/camper/trailer combo worked good. It was so nice not to have to set up and take down camp each day. Also, not having to worry about driving the Willys all the way home let me have a little more fun on the trail.

The album of pics is here.....some good ones I think.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...%20may%202009/

We ended up doing Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, and Gold Bar Rim.

I also didn't see another flat fender jeep the entire time I was there.....

Looks like you had a good time

Fun trails too. Some of those climbs on Fins and Things must have felt like they were strait up and down in a swb Jeep!

Did you check the fuel milage while towing?
    91- F350 CC - 7.3-IDI IH diesel - ATS Turbocharger - ZF 5speed - 1981 Four Wheel Camper
    79- Toyota Hilux 20R 4x4.

My Gypsy wagon buildup: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38047

It was 16.98 for the trip. That included running around looking for campsites

Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast