Project: Doitall Dodge

teleturns

Adventurer
20121217_171025.jpg

When I first saw this picture I thought "WOW he scored a Cummins 3.3 for a future project!"

I love pulling people out of the snow and it is always nice to have someone return the favor.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I should have just kept pulling him on towards the shop :) FedEx is a big company, they would have never missed that little truck.....

njtacoma

Explorer
Slight hijack but is the front axle driven on that truck, or are the chains just for steering and braking?

Many years ago, in Colorado Springs I was leaving work and a single axle tractor with short trailer was sitting askew halfway up a long ice covered hill. I offered a tug, and he initially declined, but finally relented. There was my 69 bronco on the end of the strap pulling on this truck, I could turn the wheels and drift across the road back and forth like a hyper active poodle on a leash. I had just enough traction to help him though, we made it to the top. He was laughing when he climbed out of the cab and so was I.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Slight hijack but is the front axle driven on that truck, or are the chains just for steering and braking?

Many years ago, in Colorado Springs I was leaving work and a single axle tractor with short trailer was sitting askew halfway up a long ice covered hill. I offered a tug, and he initially declined, but finally relented. There was my 69 bronco on the end of the strap pulling on this truck, I could turn the wheels and drift across the road back and forth like a hyper active poodle on a leash. I had just enough traction to help him though, we made it to the top. He was laughing when he climbed out of the cab and so was I.

I think so. I didn't get to talk to the driver for very long. He was pretty flustered by the time I showed up. I got the feeling he had been there for a while....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
yeah, I am a wimp these days, it gets into the single digits and a loose motivation :) BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well... I can see that. It's no fun when your fingers fall off. You have a 3 month or 65 degree reprieve, whichever comes first! LOL!

Stay warm. :campfire:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Man I do NOT blame you. I paddled out this morning and it took about 15 minute to realize I didn't have motivation to even surf right now. Water temp 52*....air temp 31*...rare for here, but I do know what it feels like form a short stint in Northern Colorado. Stoke a fire and keep beer on hand!! Cheers and stay warm!!

Chris Goehring

Hi I've been looking into building a 1st gen cummins and was wondering how they do in mud and deep snow with how much they weigh? Do you feel very limited by it even with a full load if gear in the back to semi balance it out?

teleturns

Adventurer
Hi I've been looking into building a 1st gen cummins and was wondering how they do in mud and deep snow with how much they weigh? Do you feel very limited by it even with a full load if gear in the back to semi balance it out?

No matter how much weight you have in the rear, these trucks stick like lawn darts. Just the other day I tried to drive up a driveway with about 10" of snow and my camper on my bed. It was a no go in 2 wheel drive and it was a struggle in 4 wheel drive. All of the diesel trucks I have owned feel really heavy in the front while trying to go through deep snow. Just my experience......

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I have had pretty good luck with mine. The truck is about 6800lbs and only slightly front heavy if I remember right. I need to get it back on a scale but I thought it was less than 500lbs different front to rear ( with my camper shell and normal amount of gear in the bed ).

It is a WORLD of difference with the tires aired way down. I have run the old Michelin tires into the 5-8psi range a few times in about 3-4' of snow. The truck is HEAVY, don't get me wrong, but it seemed to do fairly well overall. I ran the truck around in Moab on some medium rated trails without too many issues...well, other than ripping the steering box bracket of the frame!

In day to day winter driving I don't really use 4wd THAT much on snowy roads. I will leave the hubs in but really don't need to use 4wd that much.

I have not had my truck in deep mud....I don't like mud.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
-20F with some wind was enough to make the truck freeze up. I had it plugged in on a timer and started it in the morning. It started right up but once it tried to suck up some super cold fuel from the tank it basically ran itself out of fuel. Suck. Then I killed the battery trying to fix it.

Lessons learned.

Stick a 17mm end wrench in the glove box for the specific purpose of bleeding the injector lines. You WILL have to do this if you ever run the truck out of fuel all the way, be it from the cold or an empty tank.

Having a larger battery system would be nice. I just don't know if a single group 31 is enough?

teleturns

Adventurer
Having a larger battery system would be nice. I just don't know if a single group 31 is enough?

Brennan

I recently did some research on batteries for my truck and from the factory they supposedly came with a 1000 CCA battery. My truck has never had a battery with more than 750 CCA not knowing what was required. I have never had a real problem with these lower CCA batteries until this recent deep freeze. I have seen many dual battery write ups for 1st gens, but I think I am going to buy one of these.

I think this battery will meet my needs. I recently rewired my battery cables and winch and I really don't want to change it for a dual setup.

flexiheep

Brennan, at -20 a battery isn't your problem, antigel is the only thing that is going to keep it going. Well maybe heated tanks would help. Two years ago my truck cold soaked in 0 to -15 weather. Barely made it to the station to add warm diesel from the in ground tanks and antigel. Luckily the cold snap ended soon.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I had a double dose of antigel in the tank. At -20F plus wind that still wasn't enough.

The battery comes into play when its COLD and your having to turn the motor over a bunch to bleed the injectors :)

I added 2 quarts of Kerosene and a little more fuel treatment for lube. That seemed to fix the problem. Charge the battery up. Let the truck sit on the heater for about 4 hours. Then spent about 20 minutes bleeding the injectors out.

Suck factor 7 since it was still in the driveway. Last time it happened on the way to work with the truck stalling right in the road. Suck Suck Suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles