new 4Runner for 2010

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...Jacket is making a tongue-in-cheek statement, so I think we should entertain his statement with the qualities of a 4Runner and Taco :D over our 10mpg LCs.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
...Jacket is making a tongue-in-cheek statement, so I think we should entertain his statement with the qualities of a 4Runner and Taco :D over our 10mpg LCs.

10 mpg? I never did that bad in my 100 series;) Well maybe once or twice:sombrero:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I got 13-14 mpg in bumper-bumper traffic and enjoyed my adjustable ride height and shock settings :wings: oh and the wood steering wheel too :peepwall:

FJC-4x4

AM I the only one who thinks this is a GOOD LOOKING truck???

Not anymore :friday:

I don't like the artist's rendition of the FJ runner per say, too pimped up for my taste, but I love the concept of merging the styling of the FJ and the size/practicality of the 4runner.

The FJ could use more cargo space, a bigger gaz tank and a full set of passenger doors (mostly for seeing outside on long expedition trip!!)...

Oh, and a Toyota are you listening??? Pe-lease introduce a 3.0L diesel to NA!!! Hybrid is a nice fad, but diesel is forever ;-)

Cheers

Tokarev

Toyota needs to take a hard look at what they currently offer. It's my opinion that they need to get rid of 3/4 of the stuff they currently make and stick to what's made them the company they are (were) today.

They don't need to make and market seven or eight SUV's. I think they should stick to the Land Cruiser, the 4Runner and maybe the FJ Cruiser. Get rid of the Highlander, the Sequoia and the RAV4! While they're at it, they can ax the Yaris and Avalon and the Matrix.

One man's opinion...

luni

Observer
Funny. But that opinion is definitely offroad biased. I would suggest more consistency in their redesigns since everything keeps getting bigger. They're simply building SUVs off existing chassis. And doing pretty damn well.

Looking at their car line-up they have 8 cars not including scion, 2 of which are camrys and shouldn't count as separate models. Now after car shopping for the wife recently we were able to eliminate most of the models by simply being to big for what she needed, but still practical for a large family not wanting a large vehicle. We actually settled down with a 2dr Yaris. It has plenty of space to be a grocery getter or occasional road trip duty with a big enough back seat for the dog and driver/passenger. It's basically my access cab with no bed. When all the kids moved out my parents got a Highlander for old people driving with cargo room for groceries and gardening stuff with occasional 5 passenger trips. I could go on and cite examples of every other vehicle not on your list but I'll refrain.

Basically my point is "putting on bigger tires and driving the Rubicon" is not a deciding criteria for 99.9% of consumers. Toyota has so many models I'd challenge anyone (except the sports car guys) to go to a Toyota dealership and not find something they would like. They've got everything from offroading to hybrids and every sized family in between under the same roof and they're still putting up very competitive sales numbers. Where's the room for criticism?

Oh and while I was talking with a salesman I found out my local dealership never even took delivery of any 09s. Toyota shut down production early to retool to plants for the 10s. I'm excited to see'em.

Gravity

Observer
While at the Toyota dealer on Monday I was talking w/ the head of sales about my wife's 05 4Runner Sport V8 and he said the 4Runner gets major changes for 2010 including NO MORE V8. He wasn't sure exactly what was going to be offered other than the V6 powerplant....

SGV

Adventurer
I actually like that Toyota has such a huge line-up of SUV's. They have made something for everyone. My wife drives a 2nd gen Rav4 and I have to admit that I really like that little truck, err. It might be based on a corolla, but it can haul a lot of stuff with the rear seats removed, it carries our kayaks, and changing the oil in it is easier than in any other car. Nothing wrong with a car that you can sit up in.

I really like that FJ/Runner. I too hope that Toyota stops making their everything bigger. I like the size of my 3rd gen Runner, and will probably look for a 4th gen when this one goes (unless I can find a good 2002 or 2004 4-door Tacoma), but I wouldn't want anything bigger than that.

For kicks I "built my own" '09 4Runner the other day and the only option for engine was the V6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke