new 4Runner for 2010

haven

Expedition Leader
http://wardsauto.com/ar/toyota_4runner_place_090305/

Wards is reporting that Toyota executives have confirmed
plans to update the 4Runner for the 2010 model year.
Despite falling sales (only 48,000 4Runners were sold
in 2008), Toyota still thinks there is a market for an
off-road-oriented vehicle that has the ability to tow.

I take this to mean the new 4Runner will continue with body
on frame construction, solid rear axle and a V8 under the hood.

This is refreshing, since GM's replacement for the Tahoe and
Ford's replacement for the Explorer are unibody models with
independent rear suspension.

Chip Haven

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Glad to see they are sticking with it but I shudder to think how much larger the will make it! Toyota seems to have this thing lately about re-designing their cars to be much larger than they were before.

Maybe we will get the FJ Runner?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Maybe we will get the FJ Runner?

Rumor is we not only get the FJ Runner, but the FJC is on the chopping block too? I have not followed the latest on this but as of SEMA last fall, the 4Runner was getting the new 2010 platform but the FJC was not going to get a re-design and was either going to be built on its current platform for a couple more years or axed. Given the down market and Toyota's sales struggling primarily here in the US (FJC is primarily a NA spec vehicle), I wouldn't be one be surprised to hear 2010 be the last of the FJC's?

Anyone have an update on the FJC situation?

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Send your FJ cruisers here to australia.....we've all been bitching about not getting them here.

Throw in the hilux diesel engine and you guys wont be able to keep up with the demand here.

make sure you also include a single cab-chassis version so we can put a tray on the back like the hilux.

If only.......:coffeedrink:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Rumor is we not only get the FJ Runner, but the FJC is on the chopping block too? I have not followed the latest on this but as of SEMA last fall, the 4Runner was getting the new 2010 platform but the FJC was not going to get a re-design and was either going to be built on its current platform for a couple more years or axed. Given the down market and Toyota's sales struggling primarily here in the US (FJC is primarily a NA spec vehicle), I wouldn't be one be surprised to hear 2010 be the last of the FJC's?

Anyone have an update on the FJC situation?

I spoke with a TRD engineer at SEMA this last November and he said yes no re-design for the FJ and its done. Word on the street is you can't even find an 09 right now because they can't move the rest of the 08's that are on the lot.

Send your FJ cruisers here to australia.....we've all been bitching about not getting them here.

Throw in the hilux diesel engine and you guys wont be able to keep up with the demand here.

make sure you also include a single cab-chassis version so we can put a tray on the back like the hilux.

If only.......:coffeedrink:

I'll be more than happy to ship our FJ to you for modification for one of the cool trucks you have there that we don't get!! Diesel of course!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My Spy Photos :)

Saw the new disguised model again today in Cerritos (SoCal). I had to literally run to get this photo with my cellphone. The undercarriage looked the same with the spare mounted under the back and the area near the transfer case seemed the same. I can almost imagine there is a step a la the 2nd Gen Xterra in the left side of the rear bumper.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Why is the 4Runner positioned as an "off-road" vehicle yet the LC is not?

Odd.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hmmmm......?

normal_IMG_2615.jpeg

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Good timing on this post. I have been wondering what Toyota is going to be doing with the 4R. Hopefully we'll see some real pictures in the near future.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I take it to mean the same and hope it arrives similar to our dreams. Love the size of my 2006. I can see the market (saw?, less market today) for a slightly larger 4Runner with more back seat leg room, but for off-highway I love the current Gen. for being a little narrower than the bigger Toyotas.

snip...

I take this to mean the new 4Runner will continue with body
on frame construction, solid rear axle and a V8 under the hood.

This is refreshing, since GM's replacement for the Tahoe and
Ford's replacement for the Explorer are unibody models with
independent rear suspension.

Chip Haven

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am wondering where this thing is being housed as this is the second time I've seen it. Last time was over by Knotts Berry Farm, about 3 miles east of Cerritos.

irish_11

Explorer
I kinda would have like to seen a removable top version come out for the 25th anniversary. That would be a throw back to what the runner originally was. Maybe there's some hope for a 30th anniversary edition though I doubt it. Toyota would be one of a select few on the market with a removable top now, unlike they were in the 80's.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hmmmm......?

normal_IMG_2615.jpeg
AM I the only one who thinks this is a GOOD LOOKING truck??? Now give us a 2dr removable top edition with a SFA and a Diesel and I'd be willing to buy a new truck... I can't belive I said that...

I kinda would have like to seen a removable top version come out for the 25th anniversary. That would be a throw back to what the runner originally was. Maybe there's some hope for a 30th anniversary edition though I doubt it. Toyota would be one of a select few on the market with a removable top now, unlike they were in the 80's.

That would be sweet...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier