Stock Battery Replacement

daverami

Explorer
Hi all,

My 06's stock battery is getting on three years now. I'm thinking it's time to start looking for a replacement. It's working fine, but...

Anyway, when have you guys decided to change out your battery before it gets to be problem/failure time?

Thanks

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I replaced a 1 year old battery with an Odyssey just because I don't trust standard batteries. They can and do fail with NO warning, due to shock and vibration.

James86004

Expedition Leader
My first choice is an Odyssey. Second choice is the AutoZone Duralast Gold. It is an awfully heavy lead-acid battery. I got one on the recommendation of the driver of the Got Milk race truck, and have been real happy with it. He said he had quite a bit of trouble with the Optimas he used to run, but since switching to the Duralast he has had no issues.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Do you have the TRD package with the upgraded battery? I think its a pretty good battery for OEM, and mine has held up well so far under the load of a number of accessories, including the winch. But I've been having the same thoughts as you, although they have been somewhat postponed after I installed the 2nd battery. Have you noticed any reduction in starting performance? Do you cycle it frequently, or run your winch fairly often?

It's a tough call - a good OEM battery can last 5-6 years (or more?) like our old Subaru. Or in my wife's case, the battery in her car died completely at 3 years. The battery can be the single most important piece of equipment in your rig, so having something you trust is good for piece of mind....

Do you have the TRD package with the upgraded battery?

Not to detract from the original question, but if my memory serves me right, if you have the tow package you also get a better battery. Not just the TRD models. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't have a TRD package, but I did get the tow package and I know my battery is larger then what came standard.

Last edited:

daverami

Explorer
Do you have the TRD package with the upgraded battery? I think its a pretty good battery for OEM, and mine has held up well so far under the load of a number of accessories, including the winch. But I've been having the same thoughts as you, although they have been somewhat postponed after I installed the 2nd battery. Have you noticed any reduction in starting performance? Do you cycle it frequently, or run your winch fairly often?

It's a tough call - a good OEM battery can last 5-6 years (or more?) like our old Subaru. Or in my wife's case, the battery in her car died completely at 3 years. The battery can be the single most important piece of equipment in your rig, so having something you trust is good for piece of mind....

It's the upgraded battery. Starts great and no problems since running the winch a few times. I think it's a good battery, but after three years I think it's on the downhill side of the longevity curve.

I really like your second battery install. One day...

Outback

Explorer
Odyssey makes the best battery right now. Optima has gone down hill since the company was sold. The funny thing is, Odyssey was started by the same people who started Optima. Yes they sold Optima and started Odyssey. Ever since the original Optima battery stock ran out they have been having problems with all the new Optima batteries produced by the new owners. BUT here is something most people dont know. Odyssey was commisioned by Sears to produce there new "PLATINUM" DIE HARD series of batteries! YES they Die Hards are ODYSSEY batteries at about half the cost. SEARS orders a 100,000 thousand units at a time so production costs less and we get the savings. The only diffrence is the color of the plastic the batteries are encased in (platinum or grey). EVERYTHING eles is the same! So go to SEARS get a "Platinum Die Hard" and save a bunch of money. Unless of course you have to have a red case and spend twice as much..........

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Well, one of the original batteries in my truck died just last week and after doing some research I bought a couple of Die Hard Platinum batteries based on the fact that they are made by Odyssey. Which has a great reputation. If you do a search on "Sears" you'll find a message that shows the link from Odyssey to Sears.

Jacket

Not to detract from the original question, but if my memory serves me right, if you have the tow package you also get a better battery. Not just the TRD models. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't have a TRD package, but I did get the tow package and I know my battery is larger then what came standard.

Correct. My head said one thing, and my fingers typed something else.

Jacket

It's the upgraded battery. Starts great and no problems since running the winch a few times. I think it's a good battery, but after three years I think it's on the downhill side of the longevity curve.

I agree - better to be proactive.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
We may have smilar batteries. The stock Toyota battery I have is a Panasonic with 770 CCA and 90 Amp-Hours. At 4 years old is is showing it's age by dipping close to 12 volts when I turn on the ignition and going below 12v when the starter kicks in.

The Die Hard Platinums are cool but none of them quite fit right for the terminal locations. Their terminals are on the forward side of the battery, about 4 inches away. The negative connection is not too bad as a new cable to the firewall ground point would work. But the positive cable won't stretch that far. Maybe a small flat bar extension (insulated) might do it.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I replaced my battery in my 2004 before it left me stranded somewhere. I put it in my 1993 which was in need of a replacement. I'd rather trade in a working battery and not be let down. I've got a battery store in my town that will take old ones in for trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94