Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Both

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

ZooJunkie

Explorer
That's just the adapter. No propane will be sold or transported across state line.

Um....but that begs the next question...!!

Is it against the law for us to transport propane across statelines when we are out on an expedition?? :confused:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, if it is against the law to transport propane across state lines then somebody alert the authorities, because I have done it a few times already. I bought a Coleman 2 burner propane stove in 1990, and it worked great until about a year ago. It finally died. I bought a new one last spring because the last one lasted so long and put up with a lot of abuse. The little propane bottles can be a pain, but they do last quite a while.

Seldom Seen

Observer
Desertdude said:
I have not had too much luck with those adapter/fillers... the canisters never really fill (gravity wise) to a level to make it worth it

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out on the little relief valve during filling, until a spritz of liquid propane comes out.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Seldom Seen said:
Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out on the little relief valve during filling, until a spritz of liquid propane comes out.

good tip do not remember if I did that...

salsataco

Adventurer
I use a MSR dragonfly and a Jetboil as well. Never had a problem with either. I do have the updated MSR pump. i use the jetboil for freeze dried and the dragoinfly when I feel like getting fancy.:camping:

perterra

Adventurer
Seldom Seen said:

Just be careful. If you dont leave enough headspace, when it heats up it will pop the valve. If you have an uncontrolled release of propane near a source of ignition you could have trouble. The feds havent worried about the adapters because it leaves it a bit under filled. Also the reason they have gone to having to fill propane by weight. Leaves the correct headspace, allowing room for expansion.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to add to my comments - I am using these stoves nearly everyday - I do take great care with my gear and have these items stored in a pelican case when moving - and never keep them outside at night - I am seeing a shorter lifespan with most stoves out there

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
On the re-filling of propane...you do not want to fill a tank (bottle, cylinder, whatever..) more than 80% full to allow for thermal expansion.

Some states require certification to [legally] transfer propane from one tank to another (California is one of those states). Not that there is much to it....nor are you likely to be stopped by the propane police if you don't have your cert....just do everyone around you a favor...don't blow anything up.:elkgrin:

UNI

Adventurer
We use our MSR-Dragonfly & the Coleman Dual Fuel™ Powerhouse® 2-Burner Stove (Both White Gas). Our grill is a s-steel 550 Olympian (Propane).

overlander

Expedition Leader
That's just the adapter. No propane will be sold or transported across state line.

Um....but that begs the next question...!!

Is it against the law for us to transport propane across statelines when we are out on an expedition?? :confused:

What's the deal with the restriction on statelines? Most RV's have propane tanks, as do the all the expo trailers. And they travel across state lines all the time? Seems there must be more to the intent of those laws then I'm seeing.

I just purchased a Partner Steel propane stove, and I just built an external rack for my 110 to carry a 10lb propane tank externally for use with the stove. I find it hard to believe I would be pulled over for crossing a state line with it.

UNI

Adventurer
Overlander,

We haul a 20Lb. propane tank on top of the Jeep rack & a 10LB. tank on the trailer. It could be, but I haven't heard of any law like that. :coffeedrink:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've always been a fan of my little MSR whisperlite international. I've burned white gas and unleaded fuel in it, with unleaded being my preference. When you think about it, it makes sense financially. A gallon of white gas costs around $7 (last time I bought it) which is quite a bit more than some 87 octane, even at the super high gas prices of last year.

Plus it makes sense logistically too. In the military they make sure that all (or most) of their vehicles use the same fuel, that way they don't have the hassle of needing twice as many refuelers. So why not pack a couple gallons of white gas, but then know that you have diesel or unleaded fuel to fall back on in an emergency. Or just pack an extra couple gallons of diesel or unleaded and skip the white gas.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
For anything my MSR won't handle, I like using any of my Coleman classic white gas stoves - with propane.

Adapters are available that allow using propane - either cylinders, or hooking up larger tanks. This way I have the luxury of choice, and the adapter goes in the stove when packed, adding almost no weight and no additional volume.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I believe the transportation issue only relates to the very small cylinders when they're refilled.

Gas for backpacking, propane for anything else. Might sacrifice a couple btu's but the convenience can't be beat. I picked up my three burner coleman at a garage sale for ten bucks. Get the propane adapter and run it off a five gallon tank or the camper tank.

I still have all the old gas stuff, can't quite get myself to toss them. Usually just oil up the leather and they're good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online