Our Inland Adventure

Redback

Adventurer
OUR INLAND ADVENTURE
Part 1

After packing the car the night before we settled in for a anxious night with not much sleep nervios with excitement to the 3 weeks away, we woke up around 7.00am and had breakfast showered put the last things in the car and headed off, our first spot was Mendooren a free camp spot behind the police station right on the river and apart from the moron running his generator all night, a brilliant spot ( we were far enough away for it not to bother us too much) we had decided that we would look for camp sites around 2hrs before dark, this was for 2 reasons 1 being Kangaroos, there alot of roos around at dusk and we didn't want to run the risk of hitting one and 2 setting camp at night is a pain and cooking dinner just before dark is better as there are less flies, and brother the flies are bad in some parts of Australia
aiy.sized.jpg

Next morning another casual start, some breaky then off again leaving around 8.30am for Bourke, we found another free camp at Mays bend about 13k north of Bourke right on the Darling river and right under a huge river gum, it was a beautiful spot, with all the rain it was a bit muddy so picking a dry line was critical aspecially with the camper attached butgot in OK, after setting up we sat down by the fire and just soaked up the atmosphere with a beer of coarse had dinner then off to bed.
ais.sized.jpg

Next morning i woke to a beautiful sunrise so i had to share it with Nessie with some effort i finally got her up to wittness it, we then had breaky, then packed up, reluctently i might add, and headed off again, we had no probs getting out even with the track being chopped up from others coming in during the night.
ajh.sized.jpg

Next place was Cunnamulla for lunch and supplies then Eulo to have a look at the Date farm and mud springs bought some date wine, Liqueur, Port and Dates then headed for our camp for the night, Lake Bindingooly another lovely spot just past the Paroo river which was flooded and the Lake had no water, only twice in whitemans history that it didn't have water in it, just our luck oh well still a great spot, tomorrow we will be camping at the Dig tree, this is famous for the ill fated Bourke and Wills expedition to build a telegraph line from South Australia to the Gulf in Nothern Australia in which they perished on, and our first camp we pay to stay at, $11 for the night, and worth every penny, it is right on the Cooper creek and just plain beautiful, this is where Bourke died only meters from food buried under the tree.
Our first and thankfully only real problem in the trip was the rollover switch, which i fixed while crossing the Simpson, as it was an intimitant fault and only because of where we mounted this switch after installing my dual battery system, it's a fuel cut off which is activated after a large inpact or rollover, it went off after we hit a very large trench across the road caused by water errosion, this hole was about 2' wide and 1 foot deep and we hit it around 70kph, after we came to a stand still i asumed the worst and thought our trip was over, some guys working the Natrural gas rigs tried to help but as the mechanic said, geez maaate don't know much about these Land Rovers, anyway after much swearing and panic i remembered why it had stopped pressed the reset switch and we were back on the road again and off to the Dig Tree much to everyones relief, it happened a few more time till i stuffed a bit of an rag in the switch to solve the problem for good, all that techknoledgy stopped by a piece of old rag.
aim.sized.jpg

ain.sized.jpg

After having a look around we then headed for Innaminka to fuel up and fix our pole carrier which had the end cap come off, after much searching i found something to use but it had taken such a beating from the gibbers in the Stoney desert it was behond repair so we transfered the poles to the one on the roofrack and inside the camper then headed for Birdsville via Cordillo Downs, Coongie Lakes and Cadelga ruins staying the night at Cadelga ruins, next to a creek, this was one of many homesteads that didn't survive this area due to drought and and harsh weather conditions, Cordillo Downs being the exception, it is one of the very large cattle stations still operating, it's around a few thousand square mile in size tipical of the cattle here in Australia. Cadelga however is now a great free camp spot for travellers with a hot bore that you can have a shower at if you choose and nice flat grass area for camping, all right by a creek, just brilliant.
aio.sized.jpg

aiq.sized.jpg

air.sized.jpg

We got up about 7.00am packed up and next stop Birdsville arriving at 10.30am as we drove into town we saw Willems GQ Nissan a friend from ExplorOz, parked outside Karstens Big Red Cafe, so we stopped in to chat and have one of Karstens famous cappuccinos, i have to say after meeting Karsten i was urprised that SHE is actually a HE and a top bloke too, very friendly and entertaining aspecilly with fire sticks, we then booked into the caravan park for our 3 night stay for the ExplorOz gathering and a place to leave our camper while we crossed the Simpson Desert, for me this was the main reason for the trip, the gathering was seconary really but still a great way to meet old and new friends.
After booking in we setup, then Willem came over, he was already there on day 85 of his big trip he had booked into a cabin for some luxury as he put it for the gathering.
After much talking and catching up over a few drinks we decided we would look around Birdsville, 5 minutes later we were back at the caravan park to see what sights there were to see around Birdsville, it was decided that we would have dinner at the pub then a few night caps and look around tomorrow while we waited for others to arrive for the gathering.

While waiting for the others to arrive for the EO gathering the rain came friday morning about 2.00am and didn't stop till saturday as a concerquence all roads in and out of Birdsville were closed, as well as Innaminka and all surrounding towns, the only people alowed on the closed roads were those who were already travelling on that road when it was closed.
Because of this i missed out on that beer with John from AULRO a Land Rover forum.
John & Ruth, Wim & Judy were the first to arrive then later Howard & Margret, campertrailer members too an Australian camper forum, John & Edel & Ava and last of all Mike & Ruth, also campertrailer members, they made it in on the closed roads but were on them when they were closed so were alowed to carry on.
The gathering was good we had it at Karstens Big Red Cafe, we sat around the fire at the cafe talked and drank and eat the night away with in house entertainment from Karstens fire juggling show with Karsten as the star, there was Karsten from the cafe, Ruth from the van park and me, Kerry, Venesser and the above people, a great night, thanks to Karsten for his hostpitality and everyone else that came after the night at the cafe me and Howard went back to his camper and polished off a bottle of Scotch, it was a shame the others couldn't make it but thats the bush and besides they need the rain.
The next day (i was feeling a bit under the weather :rolleyes: ) we went to big red, a large sand dune just outside Birdsville for a play and a camp cook up at the foot of Big Red another good day to finish the gathering, monday was the day all were leaving for home or more adventures to come, ours being the crossing of the Simpson, but because of the rain a slight change of plans from our original one of the car only, it was decided that towing the camper across was a better option as there was more rain predicted and we didn't want to be in the situation of being stuck somewhere and not be able to get back to Birdsville to pick it up, so the decision was made to take the camper.

Baz

Redback

Adventurer
OUR INLAND ADVENTURE

Part 2

Monday morning was a casual start as we meet some people from the Subaru recreational 4WD club and John and his lovely wife Linda (Landy owners), we were supposed to meet up on friday but like many others the rain put paid to that, still we got to go to Poeppel with him, but they were only going to Poeppel corner and coming back, but asked if we could tag along and they said OK and we were off on our crossing, so to Big Red, air down and off we went a good crossing with only one car getting stuck in a really rutted muddy section, it was a combination of no ground clearence and not enough right pedal, other than that no dramas except that bloody reset switch going off a few times but i fixed that and it was clear sailing from then on to Poeppel.
aji.sized.jpg

The last salt pan before Poeppel really soft and muddy but no prob.
ajj.sized.jpg

Poeple Corner is the junction of 3 States, Queensland, Northern Territory and South Australia.
ajn.sized.jpg

After the night at Poeppel the hard stuff started lots of dunes, some steep ones as well, corrigations, ruts, holes and bumps, still all good and the Landy handle it with ease.
The first clay pan after Poeppel.
ajk.sized.jpg

We left Poeppel Corner about 8.45am passing a Range Rover parked on a side track, they were talking on the Sat phone to the pub at Mt Dare trying to find out if the desert was open from Poeppel on, (so we found out later) so off we went into the Simpson.

While crossing the salt pan i noticed the Rangie coming over the dune behind us, Kerry asked me if the Rangie was behind us and i said yep just coming now, i said he must think we know what we're doing :lol:
Well down the track we noticed camel tracks on the trail and wondered whether we would come across them which we did, 3 of them thats when we decided to stop take some photos and meet the couple in the rangie.
ajx.sized.jpg

After introductions over a cuppa we decided to travel together and so we pushed on to our second camp, after 90ks in 8hrs we camped in between the dunes, had dinner around the fire and got to know Frank & Georgie in their $175,000, 2001 model Rangie.
As you can see we are way overloaded, this is because of the extra gear we were carring for the crossing of the Simpson without the trailer, this extra weight destroyed the shocks and made the springs sag to the point that we had to replace them.
ajg.sized.jpg

akr.sized.jpg

aks.sized.jpg

Redback

Adventurer
OUR INLAND ADVENTURE

Part 3

Next morning it was the last leg of the Simpson to Purnie Bore then Dalhousie, about an hour in trouble on a dune, approaching the dune there was a choice, left or right of a sand hump well you guessed it i went the wrong way left and drove straight into a hole, tried to back out but no way i was stuck.
The Desert in bloom;
ajd.sized.jpg

akt.sized.jpg

akx.sized.jpg

Just a small hicup and we were on our way again after being pulled out by Frank.
After 334km and at an average of 17kph/10mph and 3 days we had reached the junction of the French Line and the Rig Road, next stop was Purnie Bore.
Purnie Bore was a welcome change from the desert with a toilet and a hot shower, it was decided that i have a shower, i couldn't smell anything, and push on with the advice of a fellow traveller in a Defender, if i ever come across this person again i'll throttle him, not good when you can't trust a fellow Landie driver, yeah only 2 hrs to Mt Dare he said, well it was 2hrs to the detour then 1 1/2hrs to Dalhousie and another 2hrs to Mt Dare how wrong could he have been.
Anyway enough said about him this is what lay ahead after Purnie Bore a 4k section of water as far as the eye could see in almost all directions
ajv.sized.jpg

aju.sized.jpg

The Rangie got stuck in this, sliding into the gutter and loosing momentum, coupled with the auto traction control not letting the wheels spin and road tyres she ground to a halt, i unhooked the camper and went back to get him out when he said he would reverse back and have another go, after a couple of goes he managed to get going in reverse and going back about 300mtrs he tried again, successfully this time keeping away from the side of the track and out.

After spring creek delta on the bypass road to Dalhousie we came acroos this beautiful crossing.
ald.sized.jpg

ale.sized.jpg

So off again and our stop for the night Dalhousie Springs and the end of our journey together with Frank and Georgie a sad occasion as we have built up a good friendship over the last 3 days.
The next morning Nessie was crook and we decided to stay a bit longer and Frank and Georgie wanted to push on to Marree for the night, so we exchanged numbers and off they went.
What a lovely place Dalhousie is a natural hot spring in the middle of nowhere, the temp of the water is 37 degrees C and just heaven, we spent nearly 4hrs in there until Nessie was well enough to travel.
Dalhousie springs;
ali.sized.jpg

Oodnadatta was our next place to visit following the Old Ghan railway line, then Marree, Peterborough to meet up with our old friend Willem again staying the night there, then home cutting our trip short because our dog was hit by a car and the girls wanted to rush home to see them, one of the only times the dogs haven't travelled with us, it was because of retrictions on dogs in National Parks.

So there it is our Inland adventure, it was great trip, we covered over 7000km, with about 4000 of it offroad.
Simpson_trip_2005_489.sized.jpg

Baz.

Last edited:

flywgn

Explorer
Oh man, how you whet our appetite for an adventure to Oz!

Many thanks for posting this.

Allen R.

PS I'll have to get out my Australia Atlas again. It's already dog-eared from xxxpedition's trip. :)

Last edited:

Redback

Adventurer
flywgn said:
Oh man, how you whet our appetite for an adventure to Oz!

Many thanks for posting this.

Allen R.

PS I'll have to get out my Australia Atlas again. It's already dog-eared from xxxpedition's trip. :)

No problem anything you need to know just ask, only to happy to help, our next big trip is the Alpine region in Victoria more commonly called the High Country, a completely differant place to say the least, it's steep country and most of the tracks there are long and very steep, from a previous trip a track that starts at the Buchan River at 200metres above sea level and in 5 km climbs to over 900metres above to the top of Mt Bennet, it's basicly straight up the side of the mountain to this, thats a mate of mine Howard who travelled with us in his Cruiser and camper.
med_gallery_43_13_49016.jpg

This is one of the many alpine huts still standing, these are used for staying in when it snows, you can stay in them when travelling in the high country for free, most of them are over 100yrs old.
med_gallery_43_13_85032.jpg

Baz.

Scott Brady

Founder
Baz,

It is so kind of you to take the time and share your adventures! What an awesome expedition.

How did things go overall pulling the trailer? Was the compromises worth the weight, etc.?

Redback

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Baz,

It is so kind of you to take the time and share your adventures! What an awesome expedition.

How did things go overall pulling the trailer? Was the compromises worth the weight, etc.?

We had no problems at all, the Disco has had a performance upgrade of the ECU so towing this weight is not a problem, i was a bit worried when climbing some of the tracks though, because as you got to a certain point in the climb you think it can't get any steeper and then you round another bend and :Wow1: there are places there that are not recommended you go with the trailer, local knowledge is essential in finding out about these tracks, the steepness is not usually the main problem it's the nature of the terrain and whether you can get out of trouble if you can't make the climb (ie) room to turn around or back down the hill, sharp turns and so on and of cause should you have vehicle or trailer breakage also meeting other vehicles on the same track and room to get by.

We researched the area well before heading off and the tracks we were told you couldn't take a trailer on, we scouted without the trailer, as you know most really good offroad tracks are usually the hardest.

Baz.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:lurk: Baz, you are really jumping in with both feet here at ExPo. THANK you for the great story and great photos.

Man, I love this pic. And I dig your Land Rover. Like us here, it appears that you are reaping the social benefits of cyber-space, getting to meet new friends (destined to become old friends) with gatherings such as the EO you attended. That is really neat. :friday: Too fun!

So I am confused a bit... you mentioned parking the trailer for the Simpson crossing, but the photos appear to speak otherwise. Did you end up hauling the trailer across the Simpson?

So cool that you got to visit the Dig tree.

Again, great report ;)

Redback

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
:lurk: Baz, you are really jumping in with both feet here at ExPo. THANK you for the great story and great photos.

Man, I love this pic. And I dig your Land Rover. Like us here, it appears that you are reaping the social benefits of cyber-space, getting to meet new friends (destined to become old friends) with gatherings such as the EO you attended. That is really neat. :friday: Too fun!

So I am confused a bit... you mentioned parking the trailer for the Simpson crossing, but the photos appear to speak otherwise. Did you end up hauling the trailer across the Simpson?

So cool that you got to visit the Dig tree.

Again, great report ;)

Hi and thanks for the kind words, yes we did take the trailer across, we were initially going to leave the trailer in birdsville and come back via the Rig Rd to the Birdsville Track, but because of all the rain they had in the desert we didn't want to get stuck somewhere if they decided to close roads again and we couldn't get back to Birdsville to pick up the trailer, so the decision was made to pull the trailer across.

Not a decision taken lightly either, all those clay pans full of water was a bit daunting pulling the trailer, but in the end it was a good choice.

To give you an idea of how much water there was look at this.

Frank and Georgie in their Rangie cross the water, this went for over 4km or 2&1/2 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--H55fBCfU

Baz.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Redback said:
...yes we did take the trailer across

... To give you an idea of how much water there was look at this.

Frank and Georgie in their Rangie cross the water, this went for over 4km or 2&1/2 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--H55fBCfU

:p :xxrotflma That wasn't a funny video until I heard you two snickering... LOL

Yea, that is pretty intimidating, especially the view from that one photo you posted. Water, water, everywhere.

Redback

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
:p :xxrotflma That wasn't a funny video until I heard you two snickering... LOL

Yea, that is pretty intimidating, especially the view from that one photo you posted. Water, water, everywhere.

I'd unhooked the trailer and had driven back to pull them out when Frank said he'd got out, while we were waiting we thought we'd film them coming out:088:

The beer flowed that night:beer:

Baz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne