Solar or Generator?

Steve Curren

Explorer
So to get this all straight in my mind, I would and could run both Engels off the Group 31 deep cycle I presently have. I did say that it voltage dropped to 12.6 and it did start, when I disconnected, at 13+ volts. I can hook the Jeep back up to the Chaser and run it for a good period of time to charge if necessary. My Jeep is a little over two years old now and I have learned how long batteries in Arizona don't last so I will be getting a new battery soon , wich is another question also, and I will get one with plenty of power to operate the smaller fridge/freezer for short day trips. When I am on longer trips I can keep the smaller fridge in the Jeep and then when back in camp I can plug it into the Chaser. Another question might be how long would it typically take to bring the deep cycle back up with a stock alternator?
Thanks again for the responses from all.
Steve

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
I added some reading material to my post above. More that you ever wanted to know about all things relating to batteries.
BX

jkam

nomadic man
In my van I use Optima Yellow Top batteries, 3 of them.
I have one in the engine bay and 2 in the storage comparment inside the van.
I installed a Hell Roaring isolator/combiner and a remote switch.
I also have a Honda EU1000 and 15 watts of solar panels for trickle charging when parked for awhile.

With this setup, I can run my Engel forever, my stereo all day and night and have my laptop going as well. I don't often need the generator but it's nice to have as backup.

With the isolator/combiner, I don't have to worry that the van won't have enough juice to start the engine, it always will.

tjbliley

Observer
I just finished rading this. I know its a little old but I had some questions maybe someone could answer. Doesn't it take more power to run an inverter to charge a flashlight or camera than it would to find a way to charge them with DC current from your system? Won't even brand new batteries discharge each other if just wired together without an isolator. Shouldn't you do all the math stuff for amp draw and such for the items you are going to use and really figure out how much electricity you are going to need per day?

Robthebrit

Explorer
Please use solar and a good battery isolator, nobody wants to hear a generator in the wilderness.

If you are careful 25 watts of solar and a decent group 31 is enough to run an engel, maybe indefinately. The fridge takes about 30 watts when running so it'll place a small draw on the battery, but when used as a fridge they only run about 25% of the time so the the solar will recharge the battery between the cycles. On a good day the solar will fully charge the battery during the day for the draw taken over night. If you want to run multiple fridges or run one/both of them as a freezer then you'll need more solar. When used as a freezer the power consumption of the fridge remains the same but it will run for longer, maybe 90% of the time.

Rob

Steve Curren

Explorer
I went with with the solar, just got back from the North Rim and the solar I got from AT worked perfectly. I ran two Engels and charged various items, the only problem is when you can't get the sun like if you are in the woods and no clear view of the sun. That would only be a problem if you were there for a while as the Engel takes so little juice.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Robthebrit said:
...... nobody wants to hear a generator in the wilderness.

Rob
Concur on the sentiment, but the newer ultra quiet Honda's are impressive for their lack of noise at any distance.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:
Concur on the sentiment, but the newer ultra quiet Honda's are impressive for their lack of noise at any distance.

Just had the Honda 1000EU out at the Expedition Trophy ran it at night to power the projector, sound system and computer, (an simultaneously charge batteries using the 12v outlet) during the evenings presentations. Set up approx 50 feet from the campfire behind a vehicle. Did not have one complaint since it is very quiet.

Some of us also had solar panels set up during the day, from 85 watt framed panels with kick out legs - to fold out 25 watt units. Everything has its place :)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Desertdude said:
Just had the Honda 1000EU out at the Expedition Trophy ran it at night to power the projector, sound system and computer, (an simultaneously charge batteries using the 12v outlet) during the evenings presentations. Set up approx 50 feet from the campfire behind a vehicle. Did not have one complaint since it is very quiet.

Some of us also had solar panels set up during the day, from 85 watt framed panels with kick out legs - to fold out 25 watt units. Everything has its place :)

I think it's a question of the applicable use of power. Your use of a generator to power systems needed for a presentation is applicable.

But you have to ask yourself why would someone need 800 watts of continuous power out in the boonies?

If you look at the RV crowd it seems to be to power microwaves, TV's stereos, flood lights, etc.

Over the past 15 years places considered too remote for 5th wheels and large trailers are now inundated with them on weekends. These primitive campgrounds are now polluted with light, noise, and fumes from generators.

The new remote camper now has to travel further over more rugged terrain to be rid of the light noise and fumes. But with the advent of the small portable generator, the ruggedzed trailer, and now it would seem the Adventure Trailer the capability to takes these comforts of home into the most isolated of areas is now here.

I'm all for a little comfort while camping, a hot shower, soft bed, dry tent, but I'm also for the serenity of isolation and the quiet sounds of nature. So I would urge respect for these when you consider the need to power the comforts of home.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Years ago my mother was in a tents only campground. In rolls a 35 footer, with all the comforts of home. The generator was too noisy to be able to hear the TV and the stereo, so it got moved to the end of a 100' extension cord.

Everyone else in the camp was seething. One more than others as he/she took some action. Lights & TV out, generator unloads. Muted applause heard around the camp. Much stomping around & cursing on the part of the fouling party while plugging himself back in.

Some short time later it happens again. General appluase heard around the camp. More cursing, followed by louder cursing. Followed by total re-packing of all toys & what-not, and then departure of said 35 footer.

The morning revealed the 100 foot extension cord left behind. In 10 foot long segments. Clearly separated by an axe.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
So, there is an issue with noise from the gen set, but not from blasting Tammy Wynette twang from your stereo. LOL

Why not just move the house battery from the jeep to the trailer when you need it? Trying to charge a trailer battery 20 feet away from your alternator and vehicle battery will probably require 6 or 8 gauge wire and you're going to hook a plug to that?

My order of preference is a dual batteries besides the starting battery, then a gen set, then solar, and it's 200 watts of solar. I wouldn't expect a 45 to 80 watt panel to recharge a deep cell battery in a day, but I'm not in the desert either. Dawn and dusk aren't to productive for solar, I'd guess on the average you might have 4 to 6 hours on a good day to get the max out of a panel.

Gen sets are @ about 58 to 70 db, your stereo is much louder, if you want nature's music, play the second movement of the William Tell Overture, you'll barely hear the gen set. :)

dcg141

Adventurer
I have both in my trailer. 100w panel with a single group 31 AGM deep cycle and a 2000W quiet Honda. I have for the most part gotten myself off the gen but its there and I try never to run it at night. I camp at either really quiet area's or at motorcycle races where gens are running 24/7. BTW Generac I noticed is advertising a 2000w they claim is even quiter than the Honda. I love my solar/battery setup, its my first and I love the convience. I finally have a low watt inveter coming for the very few 110 needs I have left. Honestly the last time I had to run the gen for any extended time was to power a battery charger after a long weekend of rainy weather left my battery down. Like I said it was nice to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles