The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for the input. Ever since getting my Rubicon with the factory load range E MTRs vs the load range B tire my previous TJ had, I've been sold on the strength of a 3 ply sidewall. Although I hate load range E, I always felt I could drive over anything with my MTRs or my current STTs. Reading your blog is enlightening. Maybe I shouldn't have so much confidence in my tires. Your Toyos are highly regarded as one of the toughest tires available. If they can get a hole, anything can. I was actually a little surprised at how high up on the sidewall the leak was. It looks like it is almost up to the tread. Not what I would think of as a weak part of the tires.

With that in mind maybe it doesn't make much difference in a 2ply vs 3 ply. I'm sure a 3 ply will be tougher, but either way I better be a little more cautious of where my tires are. It would seem a two ply generating less heat could be run at a lower pressure on the highway and not damage the tire. This could be an advantage for a light vehicle like my LJ.

Thanks for your input. I won't rule out the xtreme country due to the 2 ply constuction.

Yep, the Toyos are rugged, high-quality and a round tire, and for many applications having a 3-ply sidewall seems a good idea. But they are all just rubber balloons and can be popped, some more easily than others...sometimes it's the driver, the terrain, or just bad luck.

Heh, a couple of years ago I had some sharp shale slice through the 3-ply sidewall of a nearly new BFG KM2 like a knife, the cut was at least 3" long. As above, any tire can get holes.

Exactly, all can be punctured, and some sharp rocks cut tires easily.

I sent an email to ******** Cepek asking about the Specs on the 255/85R16 Extreme Country. Their reply was:

Thats all they said. I can only assume the 255 must have more rubber than the 285 to make it heavier. I like the more aggresive design of the DC tire but I'm not sure I would choose this tire over the ST MAXX. The aggressive tread is the only advantage it has. The Maxx is lighter and 3 ply side wall.

EDIT: Does it surprise anyone else that the original ST is still offered in this size? Its actually still a tempting tire. Its taller, and lighter than the new STMAXX. But it is pretty narrow and a bit dated. I'm still hoping to see the new STT Pro in this size.

It doesn't surprise me they are still making the original S/T, it's easier to continue making something than design new. I really like the original Discoverer S/T tread design, but you should really study some of the older S/T tire threads here. The S/T [not MAXX] in 255/85R16 is a very narrow tire, the tread tapers inward making the 2-ply [and quite thin and flexible] sidewalls rather exposed. Unless Cooper has changed the design [doubtful] this 255/85 tire was/is only a 4-ply thread...few heavy-duty LT tires that enthusiasts like and run are less than 5-ply treads.

That said, I never punctured one and others seemed to get good service from them. There are fewer size choices in the S/T, and I do wonder how long Cooper will continue making the old S/T, I love the 4-rib design and void ratio.

Fargo

Adventurer
I knew the original ST is super narrow. Thats why I didn't purchase it before. I prefer the ST Maxx. I'm just surprised they still make it. I'm still holding out hope for the STT Pro in a 255/85. But I'll still consider the Extreme Country as well. I think that is a great tread pattern for me. I'm just a little unsure about the 2 ply design. But as illustrated above, even respected 3 plys can get tore.

In other news, I did notice that tirerack now shows the 255/85R16 BFG KM2 in stock as a 'new' tire. So BFG must have done a number change or something there. But it does appear to still be available. I'd be better off with an aggressive AT but I will consider the BFG as well when the time comes in the next couple years.

austintaco

Explorer
Update from what I found out for BFG KM2's in 255/85/16. If you want a set of these, and you want them now, you are going to be on a hunt. If you can wait it out until BFG starts production again, you can get a screaming deal. NTB, Discount, Walmart, 4wd.com/4wheelparts, etc...are all out and they are on backorder. Most places told me that the wait would be 60-90 days. However, if you can wait it out, 4wheelparts can put you down for a set of 4, to your door, for $753.96. If I could wait, I would, but I need them sooner. I found a seller on Ebay that had a set, gave him a best offer and ended up getting them for $753 but I pay for shipping, so about $850 to my door and they will be here next week. They were manufactured in May of 2015.

Fargo

Adventurer
Has anyone used or seen the ******** Cepek Extreme Country yet? I'm still very interested in their 255/85R16.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
At the SEMA Show this year the Mickey Thompson/******** Cepek guys shared that they had introduced the Extreme Country too early at the 2014 SEMA Show... All sizes really weren't ready/available until later in 2015 (same comment was attributed to other MT tires), and they were talking about the EC again this year as a 'new product'.

I've been giving thought to a set of DC Extreme Country treads in the 255/85 size, but who knows. My 4Runner would be the recipient and that car doesn't see many miles per year and doesn't 'need' tires.

Fargo

Adventurer
I've been giving thought to a set of DC Extreme Country treads in the 255/85 size, but who knows. My 4Runner would be the recipient and that car doesn't see many miles per year and doesn't 'need' tires.

LOL. As long as I have known you on this forum, I have never known you to actually NEED tires as a reason to purchased them!

Anyway, thanks for the new info. I was kind of wondering why I hadn't seen any extreme countrys. Although I have noticed lately on their website that they are actually replacing both of their mud tires with the extreme country. I thought the EC looked more like a AT hybrid like the Durartrac. I never thought of it as a pure mud tire.

Although my Jeep has enough wind noise that my STTs were never really a noise issue, I was hoping to get something a little quieter and highway friendly the next time around. I'm still hoping the extreme country might be that tire.

In other thoughts I was dreaming 'What if Cooper made the ATW in a 255/85R16'. That would be a nice tire for winter. I also would love to see a Winter version of the entire ST MAXX line. I think the STMAAX with a softer compound and more sipes would be a nice winter tire too. Not likely we will ever see either, but I was just dreaming.

E.J.

Explorer
Bump.
nAYSDse7ktbv1tGuUd9g6ATy-bfQh6t-SjWoG-euDNVR_x8HmeEqse4uYn0KXCByoUluRUuCCUYnlo8t4PZFPtZt1SW_w6cH61xrS7yfMv-0NwwtRmqsvGGUfXQ_M_xvXBvoD9N_aL-yeVBK9F4LFK3d5xmklpQmL2X1jeedXIQAiZFildEgGNCXbb2qMkHTJAahjfVOHdA2oZzlMEg5ydHd5XiMiSDJoGDQ8IMnSWtFS-ogghEfXf8_KuLoyAbNpVxikZB1bLBZLV704MvN7MVBH3rvYdEjxApCmSf9ZRfdBMnGvvlCW8lbeot55-dMW2XmSL8y_CnN_ldpD4jvKL2ZYPH3IxYWlauxQRaRHowI0FZXMeIYVbXZWNB04tF3daqx7-NvI-wgkCOQsTyiS9OB560RRelHmL0JDehj_MYaTfOTLc2fjpV7O-gdJMzGRJwPOrFAMgfYM3gjxPwlpOzRkZp-ZNbGHw-r2hTY8r7h7YVWohuZzvC9GTqrOlrVdjr5x6hLUIiXvPDpZpNXSv9EsTwj2srpXnlLGn-YDP3oSPBkHMDxUJ4qDrRezXK1cWR03kn3Lad8vCj0doz_jhfefuQH61c2=w1741-h979-no

_x2qw29ehLpNxnBGjuvE4YtRSf-xw70AhMxdPefIc7iQMZZd_402IHzUeN8KnmU8jxA6vvvZCO8tP69VE3sBwdM4x4pZFIYu7jpAisgEN0SBKpivI2yzeD8GA4W9fLNybv5b7XIA6X5eQTuQqyAKHrnLlyv3KQlAJN1twOByfXm4MqFDkakrp9LD1H0uBPHk3H5MD8NSS5YNAoM6JdQCBST769BektwybRKD567wpn0-XNEc02qSPBRt7bthzaqCx1E8YNjBGMaGowIFV195XN_aYszOQDM31CVLWlU7crt4QIoI4dmgnBNs68xdOMRs4POs0e3G42sB6LaaPOriXhiRu46cCfa2H4SwbbZHPGGmPZKK54NGfCAVbUm_w3MMwHw5JFIt9A6rjLn8MSi2xmpExoB-nw2cyAJv1G4sdl7W583hCTafeCSwWbnLxMFf5yoL7ftWOGN3VJ6d16QGWykQRUNZ-1vPk52R6bOVcqmMucoR7tXu7zRduNIazKxxRbN5axeTGYYdTmJ8TcSj3AJkTIqJfwZoewj1Y2rQ7DyRazND72mBEjjV8wfVnZDlNsFG46kboAXaYQh7fdjCMpEcRn0StJq_=w778-h979-no

Just rolled the dice on the DCEC in 255/85r16 on my Frontier. They fit really nice with my OME lift, no rubbing with no trimming melting anything (stock size for this truck is 265/75r16). FWIW the shipping weight on these was 49#. I've only driven them home from the tire store so far, will report back once I get some miles on them.

Fargo

Adventurer
Those look really good. Hows the road noise? Please keep us updated. Its a tire I am really considering. How did the sidewalls feel. I had concerns they were a 2 ply tire, but I hope they give a nice ride.

E.J.

Explorer
Did a 200 mile round trip this weekend with about 70 miles of FS roads, so far so good. On asphalt they sound about like Toyo AT3's on my last vehicle, didn't get into anything too technical off road but they did fine in the little bit of mud we came across. They roll a lot smoother/softer than the Kenda MT's that they replaced. Everything is rocky around here so fingers crossed these two ply sidewalls are tough enough.

Cupboard

Given that 255/85 has many advantages over 285/75, why is it that there are loads of tyre choices in 285 but very few in 255?
Obviously it's not a popular tyre, but why would the in many respects inferior 285 be so much more popular?

Coming from a user and fan of 7.50R16 tyres.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Given that 255/85 has many advantages over 285/75, why is it that there are loads of tyre choices in 285 but very few in 255? Obviously it's not a popular tyre, but why would the in many respects inferior 285 be so much more popular? Coming from a user and fan of 7.50R16 tyres.

LOL....

IMO, its because wide tires are more fashionable. Sure, yes, there are some conditions where a wider tire will out perform a tall 'n skinny, (like on sand), but for the majority of wide tires sold its just curb appeal. Many 4x4s come with wicked wide flairs from the factory, which only encourages a wider tire. I shaved the fender flairs off my FZJ80s so the truck "look right" with tall 'n skinnies.

Fargo

Adventurer
LOL....

IMO, its because wide tires are more fashionable.

That would be my guess as well. Along with 20"-22" rims. There were some pickups in the 80's that came stock with the tall skinny 235/85R16. But they were the work trucks and not the show trucks.

I did read somewhere that a /75 aspect ratio was the best compromise ratio between width and height. So that might be part of the original reason for going with the 285/75R16. But I mostly think it has to do with fashion.

Cupboard

255 def.jpg

255s on my Defender anyway :)
No lift needed.

For my use they were too noisy really, which is why I'd love some all terrain pattern ones.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
255s on my Defender anyway :)
No lift needed. For my use they were too noisy really, which is why I'd love some all terrain pattern ones.

Are those KM1 or ZXLs? FWIW, the KM2 have half the road noise of the KM1s. ZXLs are a great off road tyre but crappy for daily driving, the sidewalls on'm are like a rally grvel tyre

Cupboard

KM1s. I have used 7.50R16 XZLs too, my goodness they were loud!

I'll leave it as I'm satisfied with the off-road performance of my Michelin (not XZL) 7.50R16s and much happier with the noise compared to the BFGs. As I said, I don't need a mud tyre (and tbh the BFGs still slid around in mud, just a bit less than the Michelins) but do appreciate the benefits of narrow tyres and taller tyres. I can get plenty of all-terrain pattern tyres in 235 but that doesn't really give me any advantage in height over my current ones so I'm sticking with the really skinny ones until, if ever, I can get taller ATs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94