The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

Fargo

Adventurer
KM1s. I have used 7.50R16 XZLs too, my goodness they were loud!

I'll leave it as I'm satisfied with the off-road performance of my Michelin (not XZL) 7.50R16s and much happier with the noise compared to the BFGs. As I said, I don't need a mud tyre (and tbh the BFGs still slid around in mud, just a bit less than the Michelins) but do appreciate the benefits of narrow tyres and taller tyres. I can get plenty of all-terrain pattern tyres in 235 but that doesn't really give me any advantage in height over my current ones so I'm sticking with the really skinny ones until, if ever, I can get taller ATs.

Which Michelin are you running that you like?

Have you considered the Cooper ST MAXX? Lots of good stuff on here about that tire. Sounds like it would fit your needs well. It is also a 255/85R16 All terrain. I'm curious about your thoughts on that tire.

Cupboard

Latitude Cross, they replaced the XPC and were standard on the poverty spec Defenders from about 2007-ish. They're not a very aggressive looking tyre, but work remarkable well. I know driving along with my tyres where another car has 265/75R16 BFG KO2s I've had a lot more control, despite my lack of traction control. Our farm Defender has the old XPCs and you can drive that anywhere the tractors will go.

ST-Maxx is not available in the UK in 255/85, only 235/85, 265/75 and 285/75. And yes I know you can get it elsewhere, and yes that is really annoying!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Wow! Wish their was a thread like this for tires with a 17" rim size, but finding out about all these tire brands I have never heard about is helping expand my search. Great thread!

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Did a 200 mile round trip this weekend with about 70 miles of FS roads, so far so good. On asphalt they sound about like Toyo AT3's on my last vehicle, didn't get into anything too technical off road but they did fine in the little bit of mud we came across. They roll a lot smoother/softer than the Kenda MT's that they replaced. Everything is rocky around here so fingers crossed these two ply sidewalls are tough enough.
Thanks for the update on the ******** Cepek Extreme Country. What pressures are you running on pavement and on dirt? I just sliced a sidewall of my Duratrac (245/75-16 C), so I need to make a tire decision right away. I want skinny 33" tires, but I'm not looking forward to the switch to E range.

E.J.

Explorer
I'm running them at 35psi, didn't air down for the FS roads and they were comfortable enough. With my old kendas I'd drop down to 20 for technical stuff and will start around there with these next wheeling trip.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for the update on the ******** Cepek Extreme Country. What pressures are you running on pavement and on dirt? I just sliced a sidewall of my Duratrac (245/75-16 C), so I need to make a tire decision right away. I want skinny 33" tires, but I'm not looking forward to the switch to E range.

Surely LR E will be firmer than the LR C you are replacing. However, the fact that the Extreme Country is a 2-ply sidewall design should help tame then a bit compared to some others---the Toyo MT comes to mind. ;)

James

Willly2Scoops

I am not new here but some how my old account was lost.

I went with 255/85 Toyo MT's on my FJ, so far everything I have done which is more highway miles than anything it has done well in without major issues. I did get a puncture from a screw in the thread of one but it ran for probably a month before I noticed (it didn't leak air for awhile). They do run a little taller than others and I would say heavier but I really like them, if they had a skinner 35, you would see me run those probably as I don't feel the need to step up to a 35 that's almost same size.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Subscribed to this thread. I'm really wanting a 33" tire on my factory rims which are 16x7 and so far 255/85R16 seems to fit the bill the best: 33.1"x10"

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Mastercraft CXT

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Courser-CXT.aspx

Mastercraft is a Cooper brand. The CXT 4-rib commercial traction tire is offered in a 255/85/16, and the specs indicate it is more traditionally sized than the S/T MAXX, 33.15" tall instead of 32.8".

It is also offered in the 17" equivalent, 255/80/17, only the third tire available in this size as of this date (unless I've missed one).

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I've been using the KM2's since they came out. The first set had the known problem and every one was replaced by BFG. Since then they have been great on the heavy van but I'm careful.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What is the known problem? I just put a set of 255/85R16 on my Jeep. What should I be watching out for?
The first sets (8-10 years ago) had a separation problem in that size. They never felt right. The van was squirley until one lost a huge hunk of tread. A year later another one was bubbling up. The tread should be straight across. If you see a bulge then that's separation. The guy at Discount tire requested all new tires per my request and BFG did it. Cudos to Discount and BFG but it was a know issue. It was a problem in that size and I think one other size. The new ones are rock solid so you guys or anybody wanting them are good to go. Sorry if I scared you.:smiley_drive:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Courser-CXT.aspx

Mastercraft is a Cooper brand. The CXT 4-rib commercial traction tire is offered in a 255/85/16, and the specs indicate it is more traditionally sized than the S/T MAXX, 33.15" tall instead of 32.8".

It is also offered in the 17" equivalent, 255/80/17, only the third tire available in this size as of this date (unless I've missed one).

Thank you very much for posting about this tire ! :sombrero:

Am very interested in it and it looks to be what I'm seeking for an alternative to replace the Interco SSR tires on now... (had been looking at the MXT)

Went searching for it on-line and it does not appear to be out yet ?

As much as I would love to fit the 255/85R16 size, with the gearing, the smallest OD I can get away with is unfortunately 315/75R16 :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles