The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Go back and read it again, it's KO2 not KM2 in the 34x10.50 size that's coming soon, there are threads about it.

I tried to find more info on the KO2 skinny. The PDF with the release dates went till April but didn't list the 255/85r16. Can anyone please provide more info on a possible date? Looking to get a set soon.

Dazrin

Adventurer

1stDeuce

Explorer
I haven't been here in a while, so I'll chime in with a few points... First, almost any new tire that comes in a size that would be applied to a 3/4 ton+ truck is going to be Load Range E. This is because a D tire doesn't have a high enough inflation pressure to allow it to be inflated high to turn off the TPMS warning of a new truck. That's just the way it's going to be. Actually, when the 255 BFG gets re-issued in May, I'd wager a case of cold ones that it'll be LR E too. :(

Fargo, if you really want to make the move to 17" wheels (Which is directionally wrong for off road use IMO) there is an option you may not have considered... You can get 1.25" thick adapters that are Hub Centric on the TJ, and Hub Centric for JK or WJ wheels. Because JK's and WJ's use about 1" more backspacing than TJ wheels, you'll actually end up only increasing the track width by about 1/2", not by 2-1/2". You just have to find a good set of adapters. When installed correctly, they are functionally equivalent to having 1pc wheels with the back spacing and pattern you require.

I just made the switch from 285/75R16 D STT's to 255/85R16 E Maxx's, and I couldn't be happier!!! The ride is BETTER, not worse, and the tires are performing awesome!! I think the sidewalls are no stiffer than my old D's, which jives with what I was told by Cooper at SEMA this year. I don't miss the width at all, and mileage seems a little bit better. The Maxx's don't make noise. I'm serious. I can't hear a thing out of them. The new Fun Country's that I have HOWL by comparison. Performance offroad in Moab and Colorado has been stellar, equal to or better than my STT's in all respects. I suspect that the STT might be the better mud tire when the going gets snotty, but I just don't see much mud anymore.

I mounted them on the same 8" wide wheels that my 285 STT's were on, and they look right at home. The Maxx's tread width measures closer to what would be considered a 265 tire, just like the Toyo MT.
Chris

Last edited:

Fargo

Adventurer
I haven't been here in a while, so I'll chime in with a few points... First, almost any new tire that comes in a size that would be applied to a 3/4 ton+ truck is going to be Load Range E. This is because a D tire doesn't have a high enough inflation pressure to allow it to be inflated high to turn off the TPMS warning of a new truck. That's just the way it's going to be. Actually, when the 255 BFG gets re-issued in May, I'd wager a case of cold ones that it'll be LR E too. :(

Thats a good point. I never really thought about why everything was going load range E. I figured it was for liability issues. I'd heard stories of guys putting load range C tires on 3\4 ton pickups and blowing them out when over loading them. But TPS issues along with guys overloading tires would both be good reasons for manufactures to move to LR E tires.

Fargo, if you really want to make the move to 17" wheels (Which is directionally wrong for off road use IMO) there is an option you may not have considered... You can get 1.25" thick adapters that are Hub Centric on the TJ, and Hub Centric for JK or WJ wheels. Because JK's and WJ's use about 1" more backspacing than TJ wheels, you'll actually end up only increasing the track width by about 1/2", not by 2-1/2". You just have to find a good set of adapters. When installed correctly, they are functionally equivalent to having 1pc wheels with the back spacing and pattern you require.

I have considered picking up a pair of JK takeoffs and running spacers. But doubling the number of lug nuts doesn't seem like the best solution either. But it is one that I have considered. I've also considered moving down to a 15" rim and going with the old 33x10.5R15 in a KO2. That tire would be cheaper, lighter, and a softer load range C. All benefits in my book. But its also a good 1/2" to 1" shorter than what I can get in a 16" or 17" rim. Also, it seems like a step backwards buying 15" rims when everything is going to a bigger rim.

I just made the switch from 285/75R16 D STT's to 255/85R16 E Maxx's, and I couldn't be happier!!! The ride is BETTER, not worse, and the tires are performing awesome!! I think the sidewalls are no stiffer than my old D's, which jives with what I was told by Cooper at SEMA this year. I don't miss the width at all, and mileage seems a little bit better. The Maxx's don't make noise. I'm serious. I can't hear a thing out of them. The new Fun Country's that I have HOWL by comparison. Performance offroad in Moab and Colorado has been stellar, equal to or better than my STT's in all respects. I suspect that the STT might be the better mud tire when the going gets snotty, but I just don't see much mud anymore.

I mounted them on the same 8" wide wheels that my 285 STT's were on, and they look right at home. The Maxx's tread width measures closer to what would be considered a 265 tire, just like the Toyo MT.
Chris

This is great news. I currently have the LR D 285/16 STTs as well. I've been wondering how the LR E 255/85 Maxx's compare. I am very glad to hear they are not any stiffer. I was concerned about stiffness. I've also been concerned about the pulling issues I've heard about on the MAXXs. What vehicle did you mount the 255s on?

1stDeuce

Explorer
I put them on my old man sleeper Jeep. :)

No pulling, and with so few reports, mostly from several years ago, I think I'd not worry about it. My guess is that the pulling was perhaps an old problem at this point, and seemed to occur most on 285/70R17's anyway.

Fargo

Adventurer
I put them on my old man sleeper Jeep. :)

Oh yeah. I think I saw your Jeep before on here. Its a custom stretch correct? Those tires look great on there. If they are serving you that well they should also serve my LJ just as well. How tall is your lift. It looks great with the 255s. The ST MAXX is now on the top of my list again.

Fargo

Adventurer
Update on DC Extreme Country

I've seen comments here that the new DC Extreme Country would be made in a 255/85R6. Feeling impatient, and not totally believing that we might actually see another 255/85R16, I sent this email to ******** Cepek.

Dear ******** Cepek

I've seen pictures of the new Extreme Country tire from SEMA. Can you tell me if this tire will be available in a 255/85R16? If so, can you tell me what load range this tire will be? I'm hoping to see this tire in this size with a soft load range C for my Jeep Wrangler. (2005 Rubicon)

Today I recieved this email from them.

We sure do have that size. We will have it in load range E only. Just because it is load range E that should not scare you. We can let you know the psi you will want to run to ensure correct load carrying capacity and a better ride. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

So it really looks promising for this tire. I'll still only believe it when I see it. But at this point, I think we can be about 80% sure that it will actually happen. I'm not sure how I feel about a 2ply sidewall and I wish it had the mountain snowflake rating. But this will definetely be a tire to consider if they make a 255/85R16.

Clymber

Adventurer
I love the reaction you get when you ask someone for that size tire . I have had people tell me that I don't want that size and that they are hard to get if I need to replace them. Think this is the first time someone has actually worked to loose money on a customer

gen

In Japan the 255/85R16 tires are only mud-terrain:

BFG MT K02
Yoko Geolandar MT
Dunlop Grandtrek MT
Maxxis Bighorn 762

That's it.

What is the benefit of 255/85 vs say a more popular 265/75 (a popular OEM size) or what I am considering, which is a 285/75R16?

Last edited:

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
What is the benefit of 255/85 vs say a more popular 265/75 (a popular OEM size) or what I am considering, which is a 285/75R16?

In short: the 255/85 and 235/85 tall and skinny design (AKA pizza cutters) fulfill the belief that narrow tires cut down through mud and grab firm earth traction, (this is the though behind running snow tires a size or two narrower too). (The other belief is that is that wide tires float and paddle thru mud, thus this is one of the factors why most MTs are >11" wide.) Where I wheel, New England and Central America, I prefer the tall and skinny design for mud and wet rock, its the tire design I've run for 30+ years. If I lived in SW where the geology is mostly sedimentary rock and sand, I'd go wide.

Other beneficial beliefs of tall and skinny (85 ratio) tires, (compared to same diameter 75 ratio), include: more tire patch when aired down, less road noise, less weight, better gas milage, less need for fender flairs (which usually get shaved off annually by trees..) and a more traditional and/or European overland look.

No doubt others will chime in too, as, for the most part, choice to run tall and skinnies is personal opinion; and you know how that goes on the interwebs...

gen

In short: the 255/85 and 235/85 tall and skinny design (AKA pizza cutters) fulfill the belief that narrow tires cut down through mud and grab firm earth traction, (this is the though behind running snow tires a size or two narrower too).

Thanks, very helpful.

Even though Japan has a number of leading tire companies, (Dunlop/Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Toyo, Falken, etc.) the market here isn't big enough to support all of the sizes and models that are available in the US, for instance. Toyo doesn't sell the Open Country AT/2 in Japan (only the older A/T model) nor the Open Country R/T, for instance. And lots of tires are just not sold in Japan such as Cooper.

1stDeuce

Explorer
1st Deuce,

What rims are those?

I think they are Weld Racing, or Eagle Alloys. They are about 15 years old now, and originally were polished aluminum with some ugly stamped aluminum center caps that covered the lugs. I think they were intended for muscle cars, not Jeeps, but the centers are forged, and the rims are spin forged and then welded to the centers, so they're really strong, and super light.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Oh yeah. I think I saw your Jeep before on here. Its a custom stretch correct? Those tires look great on there. If they are serving you that well they should also serve my LJ just as well. How tall is your lift. It looks great with the 255s. The ST MAXX is now on the top of my list again.

Thanks! It is indeed a stretched unlimited body. (+5" in the rear)
I think I have just over 2" total. About 1.5" suspension and 3/4" of body.

Still VERY happy with the Maxx's. I expected they would start making noise as mileage goes up, but they haven't. If the world hasn't ended by next year, I'm offing the DC's on my truck in favor of some 255/80R17 Maxx's. :)

gen

I can still get 255/85R16 BFG MT KM2 where I live. They're about $50 more per tire than the same size Yoko Geolandar MT+. If they're discontinued in the US, maybe I should grab a set while I still can...

Toyota ships the 79 Series dual cab Land Cruiser with a 7.50R16 split rim wheel set. So they're expecting owners of that vehicle to go with a commercial tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94