The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

PMA4x4

Adventurer
In regards tot he Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX. I have an email off to two other contacts within cooper and I posted the following on their Facebook page. I am still waiting on the emails but i got a response on Facebook. See below.

ME:
There have been rumors of the Discoverer S/T MAXX being released in the 255/85-16 size? Any details, release date or specifications? There are many who wish to know.

Cooper Facebook:
Hi Rob- Good news! This size is in the process of being added to the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX, and should be available at our dealers in February 2014. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

mouse007

Explorer

EXPO...!!!

Wanted to get a bit of impute from you guys. I have a set of 255/85 R16 KM2’s. I haven’t mounted them yet, but was thinking of changing to a set of Cooper ST’s in the same size 255/85 R16. Honestly, I live in Miami, FL and do 90% of driving on highways/city roads. I’ve had M/T’s before, it’s been quite some time that I’ve had a set. My to previous rig’s (Discovery II & LC FZJ-80) both had BF A/T’s KO. What do you think, should I keep the KM’s or swap out to the Coopers. Can the oweners of both chim in, pros and cons would be much appreciated.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I can only tell you some basic info on the tire choices you have. I am sure other will chime in soon with much more factual information

You are talking about going for a MT to a AT. You say 90% is on asphalt then I would move to the AT. It would also depend on when you are off road how nasty of terrain you are in. If that 10% off road is really nasty mud or sand or whatever then you may want to consider keeping the KM2s just for that 10%. With religious rotation and tire pressures people are getting 40k out of their KM2s.

I had thought about the Discoverer STs as well buy kept hearing they are very soft. I am waiitng for the Discoverer ST MAXXs to come out in the next couple months in the 255/85-16 size.

I dont know if you have already or not but you may want to go back and read this whole thread. It has a tone of info in it.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva

Wanted to get a bit of impute from you guys. What do you think, should I keep the KM's or swap out to the Coopers. Can the oweners of both chim in, pros and cons would be much appreciated.

FWIW...

I have owned coopers and currently own KM2s, and I grew up in South Florida. KM2s are a fantastic off-road and rock tire, and very quite on the road. I run them on trucks in both New England and Central America. But, IMO, they are a bit weak in fine organic mud, which there is an abundance of down there. Generally I am not a fan of AT tires, (I'm the same with all season tires too) go either street or off road (or snow tires); something in between falls short at both ends of the performance scale. Albeit Duratracs have opened up the performance window of ATs quite a bit, but also are poor in mud.

When I lived in Jupiter, guys who actually wheeled (as opposed to the e guys that ran 37" tires and 10" lift but never left pavement) ran a "mudder" type tractor tire, that paddled through the muck. And there was always a debate of wide for float or skinny to cut through and find grip. Many guys would have two sets of tires: mud and street. If I lived back in south Fl that approach I would take. Nice quite SUV road tire 90% of the time bad-***** mudder for 10% of the time. If you are only going of road in dry sand, you could run just about any tire and do fine. I recently picked up a slightly used set of SS TSLs that were grooved, and they are by far the best mud performing off road tire I have ever owned, but VERY loud on tarmac.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just run the KM2s. They are very "AT" for a MT tire. The road manners are great, and since you already own them, they are "free"!

mouse007

Explorer
I can only tell you some basic info on the tire choices you have. I am sure other will chime in soon with much more factual information

You are talking about going for a MT to a AT. You say 90% is on asphalt then I would move to the AT. It would also depend on when you are off road how nasty of terrain you are in. If that 10% off road is really nasty mud or sand or whatever then you may want to consider keeping the KM2s just for that 10%. With religious rotation and tire pressures people are getting 40k out of their KM2s.

I had thought about the Discoverer STs as well buy kept hearing they are very soft. I am waiitng for the Discoverer ST MAXXs to come out in the next couple months in the 255/85-16 size.

I dont know if you have already or not but you may want to go back and read this whole thread. It has a tone of info in it.

FWIW...

I have owned coopers and currently own KM2s, and I grew up in South Florida. KM2s are a fantastic off-road and rock tire, and very quite on the road. I run them on trucks in both New England and Central America. But, IMO, they are a bit weak in fine organic mud, which there is an abundance of down there. Generally I am not a fan of AT tires, (I'm the same with all season tires too) go either street or off road (or snow tires); something in between falls short at both ends of the performance scale. Albeit Duratracs have opened up the performance window of ATs quite a bit, but also are poor in mud.

When I lived in Jupiter, guys who actually wheeled (as opposed to the e guys that ran 37" tires and 10" lift but never left pavement) ran a "mudder" type tractor tire, that paddled through the muck. And there was always a debate of wide for float or skinny to cut through and find grip. Many guys would have two sets of tires: mud and street. If I lived back in south Fl that approach I would take. Nice quite SUV road tire 90% of the time bad-***** mudder for 10% of the time. If you are only going of road in dry sand, you could run just about any tire and do fine. I recently picked up a slightly used set of SS TSLs that were grooved, and they are by far the best mud performing off road tire I have ever owned, but VERY loud on tarmac.

Good points of view,

most of my off-road driving is mild. I like the functionality of the truck. I’m not into mud bogging shooting beer and pulling cable every 5 minutes. I use my truck for work, so I’m in and out of jobsites looking at heavy machinery as well as picking up parts.

So since we get gobs of rain during the summer months driving into a cement mill can be nasty if you aren’t careful.
This was one of the reasons I went with the KM2 although my T/A’s were phenomenal.

Man, not sure what to do, my wife would kill me if I spend another 900 or so on DD tires, shell say “ohh no honey, you used the tires you bought. We don’t need new tires just to go off-roading.” LOL…!!! She’s not much of a 4x4 type of gal.

Just run the KM2s. They are very "AT" for a MT tire. The road manners are great, and since you already own them, they are "free"!

True, I had the old KM's back in the day. They are an awesome tire.
Call me old man but not sure if I want to hear the humming down the highway while on a call with a customer. They cost me $234.00 each so not fully free. HAHAHAAH...!!! but I do see your point of view.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I'm not into mud bogging shooting beer and pulling cable every every 5 minutes....
Clearly you are not Floridian :)

So since we get gobs of rain during the summer months driving into a cement mill can be nasty if you aren't careful. This was one of the reasons I went with the KM2 although my T/A's were phenomenal
Another personal data point for you: I find the KM2s sketchy on tarmac in heavy rain. They hydroplane A LOT. I would be very apprehensive driving with them on say 95 or the Sawgrass during a summer deluge when the traffic suddenly slows to 20MPH.
She's not much of a 4x4 type of gal.
I'm so sorry....Mine came with a jeep, loves to wheel, and is shopping for a BJ45 right now...

I think the coopers are a better fit for your use. You should have little trouble selling the KM2s

mouse007

Explorer
REDrum

I know, I'm not a true wheeling Floridian. LOL...!!! I do see your point about heavy rain, my buddy's FJ80 on KM2's was a bit of hand full. I thought was the solid axel, plus he was on 37".

Congrats on the beauty sharing the love with automobiles. In my case, thou she doesn't love it, I couldn't live with out her. She's 8 months pregnant with our 1st, it's a BOY..!!! Hopefully he'll have his dad's passion for cars so we can wheel, camp and race together.

Back on track, I think I'm leaning towards the Coopers...!!!

Last edited:

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Another update on the new Cooper ST MAxx in the 255 size.

My local mom n pops tire shop can have the Cooper S/T MAXX 255/86-16 mounted balanced, life time bal/rotation and road hazard done for $244 a tire (out the door) and his warehouses show them in stock.

So they are in stock people! :wings:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Where in that .pdf do you see an AT in 255/85R16? I only see the AT in 195/75R14 on page 83. (Mail truck tire)
I'd buck up for some 255 AT's if they made them, as I really liked those tires! :)
C

<EDIT> I found them!! They're on the chart on page 49 but not in the back, where the AT only shows up in the tiny size... I found some old reference to them (circa 2004/05) but nothing newer than that, and I can't find them on any tire websites... I think you're going to travel back in time to get them, or if you do find some, they'll be 10 years old or so I bet... Dang it.

Crap... I just found Goodyear A/T's on e-pay in quantities of 4 or 6... But now my heart is set on STMaxx... Looks like they're LR D for those of you who believe that it is different from E. :)
Not a bad price shipped... Looks like they're old stock, but only 2 years...
255 goodyear.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, those 4-rib Wrangler AT treads look the same as what I put on a truck in 1990-ish. Not bad looking either, but no 255/85, right?

Fargo

Adventurer
Wow, those 4-rib Wrangler AT treads look the same as what I put on a truck in 1990-ish. Not bad looking either, but no 255/85, right?

I'm trying to figure that out as well. Searching ebay this seller has a set of 4 and a set of 6 for sale
http://stores.ebay.com/TIRENET-USA/...+85&submit=Search&_fsub=14833767&_sid=5542372

But I can't find them anywhere on Goodyears site. Did they make this tire years ago and quite production? Maybe this guy just has really old stock. The post above says they are 2 years old but I don't know how he found that out. (EDIT: The seller states this. I wonder if its accurate) That doesn't seem that old of stock if its accurate. Maybe gray market? I'd like to know more too.

Edit: I also noticed that he calles the brand Nexan elsewhere in the listing.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
These are definitely old stock. The 255's were in fact made, and links long ago in this thread listed it in a chart somewhere... This tread pattern was popular in the 90's. I ran a set on a Jeep back then, and they were pretty good tires for their time.

I wonder if his stock is actually 2002, not 2012. I wouldn't think many people would consider a 2012 tire a concern for "age" as he suggests... DOT marking would tell either way. I'm sure these are no longer in production, so I'd want 5, not 4, but I'm heading for STMaxx's soon...

I think the Nexan reference is just a listing mistake. Nexan surely isn't making a tire that says "Goodyear" on the sidewall... :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94