Ok folks Kodiak or Springbar ?

vantexan

I've been mulling some ideas for long term camping for awhile now. Had considered tooling around Central America for awhile with a rooftop tent. The stock market meltdown changed my plans. I'll work a bit longer, then I'm looking to get a Springbar Colossus and setting it up on some rural land near Big Bend National Park. Since it has 2 doors I'll back my truck with camper up to one. It's a very basic Capri camper but does have a shower. Anything of value will stay in the camper, tent will have camp chairs, table, cooler. When summer hits will pack up and head for high country. Just one of those things I've always wanted to do. Ultimately I'll head to Argentina for retirement but want to spend a year or 2 getting this out of my system.

the Rewster

Observer
I have had experience with both manufactures as I was a scoutmaster for 12 years.
The troop owned Springbars but I could only afford the Kodiak.
Both are great tents, both will last a life time if taken care of.
Dry them in your garage or even your basement after using them in the rain, as mildew will set in rather quickly.
Traveling with them on the roof should be no problem for dust but if it rained more than a sprinkle you will want to protect it.

Redsrover

I bought the Kodiak Deluxe 10x10 from Cabela's a month ago, and used it in the TN mountains this past weekend. I outfitted the Kodiak with a 17 oz 10' x 10' canvas tarp as a floor saver, and on the ground underneath the tent I placed a standard poly tarp (10' x 10').

This was the first time I have used the tent, never getting the time to erect the tent in my yard and "season" the canvas and seams as is recommended by wetting the tent and letting it dry a couple of times. I didn't have time to do this step, plus the forecast was for dry conditions.

I set the tent up for the first time in about 30 minutes. Driving the stakes in the ground took the longest. The rest was a piece of cake.

The rains came about 4pm on our second day in camp. The ground in the campsite was dirt, with some pea gravel areas in proper campsite "pads". I was on one of those campsite pads. It rained hard for about 12 hours all total Thursday afternoon to Friday morning and then let up. Sunny skies came right after the rains, drying most everything out.

The tent never leaked a drop. While away from the tent for a while a small pool collected right on top of my thermorest and cot, but that was because I left the rear door window flaps unzipped by accident.

The tent canvas was muddy and splattered with dirt along the bottom, and the whole thing was damp on the outside when I folded it up yesterday morning to load it up for transport. I folded the tent so the floor was to the outside and just tossed it on the trailer and covered it with a tarp.

When I got home I put the tent in my garage (it was raining) and hoisted the roof up to the rafters by the metal grommet tabs sewn into the 4 corners of the roof. It's hanging there now and is dried out enough to brush off the dirt. I hope this doesn't put too much stress on those grommet tabs, but its the only way to "erect" the tent in my garage to dry it out.

Anyway, tent gets an A++ from me!!

tommudd

Explorer
Can someone post how these are to set up. Like with one person? I want a bigger tent but will most times be sitting it up by myself, so which is easier?

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Jeff - that's exactly what I would have said about setting up my Springbar Outfitter 3 tent. The only hard part doing it solo is balancing the first pole as you lift the other from the other side. Although I usually just stake the whole thing in before lifting since I haven't had bad weather while setting up yet.

Redsrover

Setting up the Kodiak was simple, as stated above. I staked out the four corners, then all the others. I ran the springbars into the tent roof pockets, slid them into the T-bars on both ends, connected the two opposing T-bars and slipped over the metal sleeve on the top bar. Then I lifted up one side, put the upright pole over the prong on the T-bar, and into the ring pin at the base of the tent, and repeated the process on the other side. Then I unrolled the awning, set one pole and guy line, then the other, and boom I was finished.

I can't see how it would be possible for the upright poles to fall over if the four corners are staked down. The remaining stakes just keep the fabric tight.

Great tent though.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
question: Where'd you guys get your guy lines? I don't have a need for them yet, but wouldn't mind being prepared since I'm sure it doesn't take much space!

d0ubledown

Observer
if you dont have the $$ to spring for a springbar, the kodiak is an excellent alternative. some argue one is better than the other...but price was the main factor. i ordered the 10X10 from cabelas canada, was on sale for cheaper than the US prices.

setup is a snap. as mentioned the staking is the most time consuming. once the stakes are in, its literally 2 minutes with one person. i'll have to try the 4 corner staking then erecting the tent. also thinking about buying those HD stakes that look like very large nails with hooked heads, as the stakes that come with it are sometimes a PITA to get a good solid blow. hitting with the side of a hammer/axe provides more impact surface.

the overhead compartments are so handy. these dont come with the tents from ebay. overall its a 10/10 for me. its the last tent i plan on buying..ever. highly recommended if you want an easy to setup tent thats very heavy duty, and will last a LONG time. somewhat of a space hog though...but with a cdn m101 to haul the big bulky gear...it makes it that much easier to haul everything i need for a family of 5.

Redsrover

Yeah, I got free shipping last month from Cabelas. Mine came with the overhead storage net and organizer and both are very useful. Mine came with the huge tent stakes with the hooked heads...they were easy to pound in and remove.

Moody

Needs to get out more
A quick note on the Springbar Tents: It is best to 'season' the tents when new by setting them up in your yard and spraying them down thoroughly with water. The thread that is used is poly with a cotton sheath around it. By soaking the tent, it causes the thread to swell, sealing any of those tiny pinholes that may leak.

Some people may never do it, but the first wet night they might get a few drops coming inside.

I figured that with mine, I would take care of it before I took it into the field. Sure enough, the second time I used it, it rained.

Vapor_Trails

First post. Been lurking for a couple of years but never really had anything of great value to say. I recognize a couple of folks around here that also post on rv.net, though. I'm Vapor_Trails over there, too.

Anyway, I really wanted a Springbar 10x10 but just couldn't justify the extra $$ for a tent that will only get used a few times a year. So, I got the Kodiak 10x10 from Cabela's back in March. It is a very nice tent and I figure it will last for a couple of decades.

After I ordered it, though I was concerned that I might get a little buyer's remorse and return it to Cabela's. And then kick down the extra flow for the Springbar. But, after it arrived and my little 5 year old DD and I set it up in "Camp Backyard" I was sold. And after having used it in both the desert and the mountains I am more than satisfied.

It hasn't seen cold/wet weather yet but winter is coming and I plan on taking it into the snow in our local mountains. However, last Spring little DD and I took it out to the dez and as usual the winds were kickin'. I's say about 30mph or so. It never even blinked. NICE!

But, the main reason for this post is to respond to some questions about setup. I don't remember where I learned to do this but I use a cordless drill and some 1/4"x8" lag screws and flat-washers instead of stakes for the four corners and 1/4"x6" for the rest of the stake-out points. Works like a charm.

I think it takes longer to unroll and set up the front awning than it does to pitch the tent in the first place. I'd say 15 minutes total setting up by myself. It's more work lugging it and the poles out of the truck and unpacking everything than it is to actually set it up. Other than my little two-man backpacking tent I will NEVER go back to non-canvas tents.

My family has a TT that we use a lot and for years I have been bringing my cordless Makita with me to lower and raise the stabilizer jacks on the trailer. So, I'm already in the habit of keeping a battery charged and remembering to throw it in the truck when loading up for a camping and/or RV trip.

So, I say try the drill and lag screw setup and see what you think. The hardware store will take them back if it doesn't work out for you.

mesha

Observer
I'm the new guy so who cares what I say. I like both tents but the kodiak has a heavier duty floor and more options for the money. I have had both and like them both. Both companies are within decent drivetime from my house for warranty issues. The kodiaks weigh quite a bit more,probably cause of the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles