Ok folks Kodiak or Springbar ?

Viggen

Just here...
Im going to bring it back to ask...

for pictures of the interior of the Springbar all set up?

Viggen

Just here...
I checked. Kind of a weak website really. Found a couple of the interior of a Kodiak though and they are HUGE!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I checked. Kind of a weak website really. Found a couple of the interior of a Kodiak though and they are HUGE!
Most small companies have pretty weak web sites, they tend to put more emphasis on building quality product than marketing.

Unfortunately we are a society that is easily diverted by glitter and smoke.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I can take some when I head out on the 28th, BUT they both have a similar 10x10 or 8x10 foot print with same structure...if you've seen a Kodiak inside, you've seen a springbar...canvas is canvas.

dumolebob

Observer
outfits around YELLOWSTONE

9 outta 10 horse packing outfits around YELLOWSTONE ountry go with SPRINGBAR. iF THOSE CHEAPSKATES WILL PAY THE EXTRA that TELLS YA SOMETHING!

timh

Explorer
We just used our Kodiak 10x10 for the 1st time. I loved it. Easy to set up and tear down. Nice and roomy, and the heavy duty floor is awesome. We didn't experience any real weather though so I can't speak for that yet.

SWbySWesty

PS: I forgot to add that being able to call customer service in Utah was QUITE convenient and QUICK. I don't know about Kodiak, but the customer service at Springbar was 110% to make me happy...even on orders non-tent related at Kirkham's!

Viggen

Just here...
Most small companies have pretty weak web sites, they tend to put more emphasis on building quality product than marketing.

Unfortunately we are a society that is easily diverted by glitter and smoke.

Pictures of the interior of their product is glitter and smoke? Hmmmm... Having built and maintained a site, adding pictures of a product really isnt all that hard.

SWbySWesty

Pictures of the interior of their product is glitter and smoke? Hmmmm... Having built and maintained a site, adding pictures of a product really isnt all that hard.

To be fair, I don't usually see tent interior pics on websites unless they're promoting some little pocket or tab to hang something. Otherwise it's a square floor with walls...

Redsrover

OJ did a field test a couple of years ago including a Springbar. Essentially the same as a Kodiak. Differences are the Kodiak has a near white roof panel and light tan canvas sides. The poly floor is very thick, and a darker tan color than the walls. The Springbar has slightly green tinted sides and a white poly floor. The roof panel is also near white.

I'll set mine up next week in the NC mountains and try to remember to snap a few pics of the interior before it gets that "lived in" look.

phatman

Observer
i have a Springbar campsite 3. when i first got it i set it in the back yard, and before i got it down it started raining. it continued to rain for two weeks. not wanting to store the tent wet, i just left it up. i can say this for Springbar, other then what i tracked in, there was not a drop of water in the tent. the only problem i had was the awning pooled water so i would push it up and drain the water off.

for the past two years i used it and all weather conditions and on all types of soil and i love it except for one thing, it packs large. it sheds wind but in very heavy wind i put guy lines out, in hot weather it ventilates well with it's large windows, in cold weather and a Mr. Heater it warms quick and retains the heat with out dewing. about its packed size, it packs very large. with all the accessories it packs into a medium action packer, a medium duffel bag and a a long bag for the poles.

now that being said the reason i chose Springbar over Kodiak was the accessories. the Kodiak has an awning, but it has a small footprint. the Springbar has the Portico awning (sold separately) so you can get cover from three directions which is good for sun wind and rain. next the Springbar has the a screen room which makes a nice porch and safety from the mosquitoes. I'm not sure, but i think you may be able to put the screen room on the Kodiak.

well that's all the info i have. either way you will be happy just remember they don't pack small.

High_Country

Adventurer
YES - I'm resurrecting a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD!!!

I had this same question recently, used the SEARCH function and found this thread. But, I was curious if opinions have changed over the years ESPECIALLY given that the price difference is smaller.

KODIAK
For a comparable 10x10 in the Kodiak lineup, it looks like you have to spend about $500 and it looks like you can get free shipping pretty easily. This is the 'deluxe' version.
Features: • Hydra-Shield™, 100% Cotton Duck Canvas. Durable, watertight and breathable.
• Flex-Bow Frame: Exceptionally sturdy. Keeps tent taut. Quick and easy, one-person, setup.
• Spacious 6'6" ceiling height provides walk-around comfort.
• Two large D-shaped doors (front and back) with #10 YKK zippers.
• Four large windows with no-see-um mesh.
• Large 72x78-inch awning.
• Customizable gear loft and organizer pockets.
• Two funnel-flow vents help improve air flow and temperature management.
• Heavy-duty 12-inch, steel rod, stakes.
• Handy strap-and-cinch storage bag for convenient roll up.

Specs:

• Pack Weight: 68 lbs. (includes 6.5 lbs in stakes).
• Pack Size: Tent-- Length 30 in. Diameter 13 in., Poles-- Length 50 in. Diameter 5.5 in.
• Capacity: 6-person.
• Ceiling Material: 10 oz Hydra-shield™ canvas.
• Wall Material: 8.5 oz Hydra-Shield™ canvas.
• Floor Material: 16 oz vinyl. Polyester reinforced, seamless.
• Frame: 1-inch, galvanized, steel tubing.
• Flex-Bow Rods: 3/8-inch, solid, spring steel.
• All-season: Use year-round, but not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations.
• Warranty: Lifetime limited warranty.

SPRINGBAR
About $620 but can't find free shipping (at least at a quick search). Also 10x10, about the same interior height. Here's the details:
http://springbar.com/deluxe-tents/traveler-5-springbar-tent/

So by the time you figure in shipping, it looks like you could spend about an extra $175-$200 on the Springbar. They seem to have SIMILAR specs, the Kodiak has a heavier floor, the Springbar has some heavier bits and pieces like the sewn in rope and heavier poles.

Both have a lifetime warranty it appears.

So, recent opinions or insight?

fzsk4p

Adventurer
While I cannot vouch for the Springbar I can say that I have been very happy with my Kodiak. Tough tent with premium features. Easy set up with two people but can be done with one person.

No regrets.

SWbySWesty

Love my Springbar but I'm going to be selling it. I want a smaller weight and I don't want to have to stake it down every time. Forget poles or stakes and you're screwed. I don't like that stakes, poles and tent have separate bags. This applies to both brands and is just food for thought!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier