Ok folks Kodiak or Springbar ?

fzsk4p

Adventurer
Thanks again for all the help Expo forum folks have given me in choosing a tent.

After considering the many choices out there to what my needs are. Have come up with a compromise of sorts.

While the Kodiak and Springbar 10x10`s are a little big and heavy for SOME of my uses. They do work perfect for the majority of what I want to do. The ability to stand up, tough construction, weather resistanntance and the like will make tenting much easier.

How about a new book on a cold rainy day. Setting in a comfortable camp chair. Black lab at your feet while a Mr. Buddy heater takes the edge off.

So after looking a both the Kodiak 6055 and the Springbar Traveler 5 it is a toss up. The Kodiak is a couple hundred bucks cheaper and seems to pretty well made.

The Springbar has quite a following.

Which one folks ? And any good dealer to buy from ?

One question that is not on the websites. Folded up size-Anyone have any rough domensions-on the packaging ?

Last edited:

Ireland

Adventurer
After owning a Springbar now for two years and being in some pretty harsh weather conditions, including sideways rain for two days straight and some pretty heavy winds where other peoples regular tents have literally blown down and broken I can not say enough about how well a Springbar performs.

I own the family camper seven which at the time I bought it was the largest one offered by the company....

I helped a friend set up his new Kodiak a couple of months ago for the first time and it too is a good tent... The most noticeable difference between the two were the much lighter poles with the Kodiak and the lack of a sewn in rope around the base for reinforcement. The Springbar also has metal wire stake hoops sewn into the base where the Kodiak has canvas ones.

I would totally recommend the Springbar over the Kodiak any day if you can afford the difference and intend to keep your tent for a lifetime.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I bought the Traveler 5 from Redline when I was trailer less. It was new in the box and has never been opened. It still sits that way because my trailer came quicker than I thought.

I can get you the packed size's if you wish. It's not light and the poles are somewhat long. One of these days I'm sure we will use the thing.

I would also look at the OzTents. I would think that they are comparable to the Springbar.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I just got the Kodiak 6010 from Cabelas. 72lbs of tent for the UPS guy to lug up to a 2nd floor apt :).

I asked their customer service a good bit of questions about a few of their models before ordering and good pretty good response out of Kodiak. For some reason, given the lack of info on the website and barely any info on the web I didn't think I was going to get a response, but I did and they were very helpful/friendly.

I've never seen a springbar, and my only experience has been my Eureka 3 man tent.

The Kodiak went up really easy, surprised for a tent that size. Came down easy and packed up well. I can't speak to how long it will last. Canvas seems to be nice and tough, the floor is nice. Zippers seem solid.. look to be about the same as the ones on my Jeep soft top.

Packing... There's the long narrow bag for the poles.3-4' long maybe 6-7" in diameter. This is the heave bag too. prob 40lbs of the weight.

The rest of the tent packs up into a canvas bag. I'd need to measure, but I think its about 3 feet by about 12".

I'll be giving it a decent test in 2 weeks and will report back if it works of if it sucks. In any case, it is a serious step up from the Eureka tent, and given the price its definately a lot of bang for the buck..

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I just got the Kodiak 6010 from Cabelas.

I have been scoping out this tent. Which sleeping capacity did you get - the 6 or 8?

Is there enough room as advertised or are the sleeping quarters tight if you squeeze that many people in?

How do you think they storage bag will do with dust if stored on top of a roof rack?

fzsk4p

Adventurer
I have been scoping out this tent. Which sleeping capacity did you get - the 6 or 8?

Is there enough room as advertised or are the sleeping quarters tight if you squeeze that many people in?

How do you think they storage bag will do with dust if stored on top of a roof rack?

A good question as chances are mine will be hauled outside also.

FWIW I got the 6055 from ebay

NEW 6055 10x10 ft Scout Camping Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent Was the title.

competitiveedgeproducts Was the seller

They have a 365 or best offer. 325 got it. On the Compet. (non eBay) website they have the 6055 on sale for 369.00. So going through eBay saved a few bucks.

They also have the larger models on eBay and the web site. So you might be able to score a good deal

In both cases shipping worked out to 34/35.

burke

Observer
+1 for the springbar.
We have a vagabond 4 and the quality and service relating to this tent is great. We've camped it rain and very windy conditions and have no complaints.

My only concern with this style of tent is that you have to be able to get the stakes in the ground to be able to erect the tent. I worry that some surface conditions it might be a problem.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
fzsk4p worte
One question that is not on the websites. Folded up size-Anyone have any rough domensions-on the packaging ?

Springbar Traveler 5

Tent bag 30" long, 20" wide, 10" tall - weight 31.7 lbs.

Tent poles 55" long, 7" wide, 3" tall - weight 18.7 lbs.

Portico bag 20" long, 12" wide, 3" tall - weight 6.6 lbs.

Portico poles 45" long, 3" wide, 2" tall - weight 6.6 lbs.

Stake bag 16" long, 8" wide, 3" tall - weight 7.1 lbs.

Door Mat bag 16" long, 9" wide, 2" tall - weight 1 lbs.

P1030570.jpg

alosix

Expedition Leader

I got the 6 person 6010 (the 8 is a 6014)

To me, you could have 4 people in there on 2 queen airbeds and still have room to walk around. 6 probably wouldn't be an issue if everyone was on a 1 man cot or a pad.

They are tall, walls feel vertical from the inside.

The bag wraps around the tent pretty good, and the way they have you fold it puts the bottom of the tent to the outside of the pack.

The pack also seemed like it was made of the same water treated stuff as the tent. The dog was drooling on the bag on the way back from the test run and it beaded up on it.

I'd guess it would be fairly safe to use on the rack, but in heavy dust or rain I'd probably want it in something.

Jason

tinker trek

Observer
I have the Vagabond 4 with a portico awning. Yes it's heavy this is not a light
weight tent! Built to last a life time.

I have nothing but praise for this tent & the company that makes it.

I figure if I can buy a great product that's still made in the United States I'm willing to pay a little more for it.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

sundaypunch

Observer
I have the 10x14 Kodiak and love it. It has performed flawlessly and is very well made. While the Springbar may be better, the extra cost was not worth it for our needs.

Both the Springbar and Kodiak come with lifetime warrantees. I also haven't seen a Springbar or Kodiak owner say a bad thing about their tent. My guess is that you will be happy with either.

fzsk4p

Adventurer
The Fed Ex man is supposed to be here today or tomorrow.
I`ll set it over the weekend and "break it in" .

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
You can add me to the Springbar followers. I just ordered the Outfitter 3 tent and I set it up in the backyard two nights ago. Slept in it with a few blankets and the girlfriend. Weather said it dropped to 51 degrees and we were actually quite warm sleeping in a tshirt and boxers. If I had my sleeping bag and a proper air mattress/camping pad, I'll bet I would have been warmer too!

Also, the rear window they mention is HUGE...I'll try to get a pic since I've never seen another pic on the internet...the tent stays nice a cool during the day in the sun.

It's SO nice to be able to stand up in the tent. Then roll up the bedding for the day to use the tent for standing room or what not. Also, the gf got a "tent light" from coleman:
2000000032_200.jpg

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000032&categoryid=5900&brand=

it's magnetized and isn't super bright for nighttime. Excellent accessory over a flashlight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles