Stick on solar panels for camper shells?

Chris

Adventurer
Ikes, Thanks Rich. Guess I should knock on wood; I have had mine for two + years and have had no problems. I did have a problem with the first one and it was replaced immediately (no cost). In fact it was replaced without having to send the bad one back and after a little failure analysis that one now works as well.

Thanks again

Good fortune I guess. :) knock knock.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I finally found what I was looking for....a single stick on solar sheet for a camper shell top.

http://www.solarenergygolfcarts.com/extended-system2.html#ECM-48V-PVX-TOP

golfcarttop.jpg

They have a large model that is 38" x 86"

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's great news ! That seems like a much more reasonable size, especially for the length. Have you contacted them, yet, by the way ? I have been looking through the site and it seems like everything is in a 24V/36V charge controlled kit ?

Frank

cruisertoy

Explorer
It may not be common knowledge, but having discussed this with Powerfilm recently i found out that they introduced midyear last year a weatherproof stick on series of panels. They were in the same price range as thier other roll up panels. I was going to have them send me one for "testing" with my last wholesale order, but spaced it. Give them a call.

dzzz

Another possible solution for someone with a long enough roof :

http://www.flexenergydelsol.com/page3.html

Frank

That looks like their just making uni-solar portable. For stick on camper shell I don't see an added benefit.

To everyone: Is there any test evidence that unisolar is superior in less than ideal sun conditions? If that assertion is true uni-solar is compelling. The only aspect I don't like about Uni-solar is the elimination of the "tropical roof" possible with traditional panels.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like it because there it is sleek and simple, tight to top of the camper so it doesn't give up clearance, and if the panels is sized correctly you should only have to run one pair of wires 'through' the top. If the truck is slightly taller than a person, I doubt anyone would even know you had a solar panel up there.

dzzz

Yearly update

Let's call it now $3.30 a watt delivered in the U.S. for 68w unisolar. Or four panels for about $900 (270 watts). That would put a total system cost at $1300 ish. Maybe $2K professionally installed.
270 watts can be done for less. But not with stick on panels that can be walked on. These things are best for larger type expedition campers that benefit from a clean, not easily damaged roof.
The golf cart solar product mention in this thread is ~60 watts for ~$2000. That company works hard to hide the cost per watt. From the dimensions of their product they're likely stuffing unisolar into their own package. With the benefit of having shorter lengths than standard unisolar. But the cost per watt is silly. A bare 60 watt conventional panel is $300 or less. (~30" x 25")

rjp4689

Observer
Im gonna do this on my Dodge as well. I only want it to run my fridge and maybe a laptop. Thx for this thread! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles