knives

Dale

Adventurer
We recomend something non-intimidating such as a quality folding lockblade with a drop point blade. I personaly recommend stainless so you can find during night operations. You may also want to purchase lightweight pruning shears, depending on your callout area.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
When I was on a team a few years ago I carried a Spiderco Rescue. A nice heavy serrated blade that can cut through most anything (rope, webbing, seatbelts). Easy one-hand opening.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
You'll get many different answers, just like asking what types of boots folks wear. That said, I pack garden shears, my USAF survival knife from the 80's and a small Gerber. All of which are cheap enough that I wouldn't lament over them should I loose one.

I was wondering what type of knife people bring with them on searches.:ylsmoke:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thats very nice, Thank you. I noticed some of the other team members had knives in sheaths. Would rather have one with a blade that folded.:smiley_drive:

paulj

Expedition Leader
I haven't done SAR, but I often walk the dog on trails that get over grown with blackberries, scotch broom, and blocked by occasional deadfall. I carry an large fanny pack with bags to handle the dog's business, and a few tools. The current set are:
- Mora 2000 sheath knife. In its green plastic sheath it could almost pass for a stick.
- Fiskars pruning knife (the blade retracts into the handle); for branches upto a couple of inches in diameter.
- Corona (from Lowes) folding garden clipper. The least threatening cutting tool I can think of.

This is my third pair of folding shears. These are like multitools, but have a garden clipper instead of pliers. At around $20-25 none have been high cost or quality, with the riveted pivot eventually breaking. But the convenience has been worth it. It also has a knife, saw and weeding tool, but I don't find these very useful.

Wintersgill

I like to use the Frosts Mora Clipper as a back up in my pack and carry a Falkeniven F1 on my person. These will handle most SAR jobs and not make you look like rambo.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I usually carry 4 tools if we think we will need to make a trail wide enough to get a litter out: A small Gerber skeleton knife, a Parang (Malay Machete) with a 14" blade in my pack, a small folding tree saw, and my Pulaski.

If I am just looking, then it's the Gerber and the Parang.

verdesardog

Explorer
I carry a locking blade swiss army knife in my pocket at ALL times, and have a SOG Seal pup in a sheath on the belt of my pack.... as well as a folding pruning saw inside my pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz