Full size diesel Blazer - military uhhhhhmm

HINO SG

Adventurer
The trucks had 4.56's, the Blazers did not.

Thanks for the explanation. Pretty sure I looked at an ad for a ex-military Blazer that had gearing even shorter than 4.56 but can't remember the details. want to say it came out of Air Force inventory but don't really know.
Maybe it was part of a special order. or maybe I just made that up.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
He wants the Chalet already...
From the blazerchalet.com web site, on the right is a GMC Jimmy Casa Grande with camo paint, on the right is a genuine CUCV with an orphaned Chalet shell #271 - never was able to catch up with the owners to get more details on both. Then there was the guy at steelsoldiers.com who put one together, I still need details from him. Several guys at our Yahoo forum own CUCVs, they and the others could tell you about proper axle/spring swaps.

Attachments

• 2cucv.jpg
    2cucv.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,780
fro desert wheeling, the 1-tons may be overkill, but on your budget ( 10-12k), piece of mind i would not go with out. that would just eliminate 2 more possibilties of problems ( meaning the front and rear). never is a strong word but ithink thst you would never have rpoblems w/33's and 1-tons.

also when i said later model rig, i was refering to one with a 350 gas, not the diesel. not bashing the diesel, just prefer the 350. good luck.

jake

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
You can always put a Banks turbo kit on the 6.2. I've seen them in the classifieds locally for anywhere from $500 to $1500 depending on condition and completeness (all used).

I think a Blazer would be a perfect vehicle if the lack of 4 doors is not an issue and you don't intend to follow Samurais down ATV trails.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I tend to be VERY anti-GM for many many reasons, but I DO like their old trucks and muscle cars, that's why I am so against what GM has become...But I digress
I love these trucks:
This one is flat out GORGEOUS!!!!, I'd like to see it one some 36x10.50 SImexx's or some thing, but it looks great. classic lines, removable top, I love this one:
49296724.Blazer.jpg

A little more "mud-bog" than I'm into but it just looks toughand I'm betting they'd be AWESOME with some LOW lift springs (OME???)and some small (for a full size) 35.1050 SSR's...
chevy_blazer3_large.jpg

And this is what I think I'd be looking for, a sleeper in some old grandma's garage who's husband used to tow his boat with it and blah blah blah...
99905.1972.Chevrolet.Blazer.jpg

I like the nice clean "truckish" interior's, that's what I like about my truck and these and tend to not like about most new trucks, they, the new ones, are too much like my living room and have all tyhis junk everywhere. I like the nice long stick and -gasp- a lever for the T-case
72%20Blazer%20Interior.JPG

I have been drooling of late of a first gen blazer that's frequenting my neighborhood...
I think mine would have:
-a 6BT swap
-with an NV5600,
-and a Saturn overdrive to let that diesel lug down on the long hauls and get awesome milage when possible.
-D70 rear 60 front axles,
-AtlasII 3spd T-case,
-Mastercraft BajaRS seats,
-Desert tan exterior with black Rhino Lined lower rockers...
-Fully "hidden or integrated" cage with a pick-up esque profile to allow for a camperized hard-top to slide on the back but have an overhead console for all my electronics
-all electrics above the belt line for submersion safety...
-fully dynamatted cab for nice highway crusing
-I think these old trucks have alot of potential

That would be one fun rig and like my own 1st Gen 4Runner the removable top makes it so possible to do a "chalet" or "flipac" esque top that bolts right on and then can be removed and daily driven. I realy love the first gen's and the few gen's after them up untill say the 90's...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
..and the flip-flopping continues

If I have one consistant trait, it is that I am inconsistant when it comes to cars/trucks. Which is to say I don't feel I have given the early 4Runners a fair shake. I was looking at the gardener's truck here at work and I really like them. I have been a big Toyota fan for many, many years. I have owned a couple and they are phenominal. The 4Runner is smaller than the Blazer, but that cuts both ways. I think the Blazer would be more unique, at least here in LA where you can pick out the tourists in rental cars because they are the only domestic cars on the road. And a diesel would be REALLY nice.

So, anyone who wants to help me make up my mind, chime in!
We have a three/four way race right now between a Land Cruiser 60 or 80, a early 4Runner, or the military surplus Blazer. I don't do much rock crawling, I prefer long off road trips with my girlfriend and two big old dogs. It must ride decently to keep from beating up the dogs, but I'll be doing the springs/shocks on anything I get. Lastly, it must be reliable. I want to put at least 100K on it without having to rebuild the entire thing. I do plan on working on it, but I prefer preventative maintance over field repairs. Cost is a factor. I work for a non-profit and don't make a whole lot. I'd like to keep it under the $10-12K mark to get it trail ready (small shocks and springs lift, rear locker/or TruTrac LSD), winch, baseline, any repairs needed, tires (if needed), 24" chrome spinner rims.....or not.

The debate is on ..

P.S. just to salvage a little pride, earlier I posted that if I were to get the Blazer (diesel), I would go through the ignition. I say dumb things sometimes. It is sort of like a hobby of mine. I used to just DO dumb things, but I have become lazy in my old age.

Thanks everyone!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ok, I'll add a few things. The 6.2 Diesel is, like the 2.8L V6 one of the WORST motors ever put in a motor vehicle IMO. THey were originaly Gas motors and were just never ment to be diesel's. Horror stiories abound ranging from flat out blown apart blocks from afterm,arket forced induction to major overheating issues due to the increased heat of diesels and the innability of the waterjacket design of the block being able to handle that extra heat and pressure.

The 6.5L Turbo was only slightly better and while, kind of like XJ's, reports varry, my god-father/"uncle doug" has had a 92 Burban with the 6.5 and went through a little over 3 motors and several re-builds chasing down silly little problems and had one catastrophicly fail due to a bad oil pick-up somehwere leading to ZERO oil pressure... It is a far better motor than teh 6.2 but in terms of diesel's even of it's era it's hardly reliable or powerfull. Personaly like I said above, I think that the old Blazers and chevy trucks were to me the only GM products worth a lick, since about 1990 you couldn't APY me to drive anything from GM.

So the old trucks... Personaly if I were choosing from a P/U or a Blazer I'd choose the Blazer because we didn't get quad-cabs back in the day adn a standard cab P/U is just something that I really wouldn't want to deal with from a livability standpoint. the Blazer with it's removable top would be really neat and would offer a range of options to explore and directions to take your build. however it seems that there are some very knowledgeable people here who've delt with these trucks ALOT more than I have nad are saying that the surplus Blazers are not as well set-up as the trucks so it becomes hard to decide... Maybe buy a Blazer and scrap teh drivetrain for a 6BT and soem other Junk-yard goodies liek better axles with better diff gearing???

Did any of that make sence, I'm on hour 11.5 of a 12 hour shift and I'm running out of steam...

Cheers

Dave

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Ok, I'll add a few things. The 6.2 Diesel is, like the 2.8L V6 one of the WORST motors ever put in a motor vehicle IMO. THey were originaly Gas motors and were just never ment to be diesel's. Horror stiories abound ranging from flat out blown apart blocks from afterm,arket forced induction to major overheating issues due to the increased heat of diesels and the innability of the waterjacket design of the block being able to handle that extra heat and pressure.

This is incorrect. The 6.2 is NOT a converted gas engine. You are thinking of the 350 diesel that Buick/Olds ran.

Go to the http://thedieselpage.com for the straight info on these engines. Don't let "internet lore" scare you unnecessarily.

85CUCV

Adventurer
This is incorrect. The 6.2 is NOT a converted gas engine. You are thinking of the 350 diesel that Buick/Olds ran.

That is correct. It was a 5.7 liter. On the Oldsmobile block. I had a cousin bought new truck with the motor when it was introduced. I know he replaced the engine at least 3 times.

The 6.2 liter is no power house, but it does all I need. The 6.2 some flexplate problems before 1985. I do not like the 22:1 compression. It is really not a bad motor for the weight. HUMVEE ran the 6.2 for years.

I did regear my CUCV blazer with 4:10 gears for my 33" tires. I also installed a Detroit locker in the rear and a Detroit limited slip up front. That was a good move. It handles my fully loaded CDN101 with no problems.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I put the 6.2 in my FJ55 wagon. I put a Banks on the engine and it screemed!
I heard about the ,mostly inaccurate, issues concerning the engine and loved it. If you get a low mileage engine or better yet a rebuilt engine you're done. Good mileage and great power in a wagon or Blazer sized vehicle. The engine is about the size of a big block chevy and has the torque on the bottom that you need off-road or moving your rig. Can you do the work yourself? The LCs (60s or newer) are great rigs and practical with the four doors. Planning on the vehicle is half the fun. Good Luck,
Chas

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Blazer Fan

I owned two Blazers, a 1972 and a 1977.

Had the '72 for four years and drove it all over Cameroon, across the Sahara, and then around Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Pictures at: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/bolivia76

The '77 incorporated all that I learned from the '72. I had it for fourteen years in Panama, Washington, D.C., Liberia, and Botswana. (Sadly, no pictures)

103637609.jpg

Notes:

-- A Rough Country suspension makes all the difference in the world. Only two inches of lift, but lots of wheel travel. Sadly, most modern suspensions are nowhere near as good. (N.B. Front U-Joint wear will be severe if full time 4x4. Change once a year.) The '72 had various double shock kits, coil overs, etc. With the '77, I did it right, right from the start. Remember, the goal is wheel travel, NOT stiffness or lift. You could always run air bags or upgrade the rear suspension if you need more.

-- 11.00 or 12.00 tires are good for ground clearance and traction. Be sure to up a load range or two - not for weight, but for cut resistance.

-- 3.07 gears are way too low, even with an automatic, worse with a manual. (Turbo 400 was, however trouble free for 14 years.)

-- Locking rear differential is very nice.

The first truck had three fuel tanks, the second five. The suspension/tire kit is so good that you can get the whole beast airborne and land without bottoming. Not recommended, but I didn't see that drift coming:Wow1:. Absolutely the most comfortable ride on washboard that I have ever found.

Never had axle or engine problems. The 350 would not shut off over 8,000 feet, so I had to stall the engine with the clutch. Starting over 10,000 feet occasionally required that one hold the autochoke flat open, but once the choke opened the engine ran well. Nothing has power at that altitude.

Based on my experience with the diesel on my Land Cruiser, I would say that a “classic” diesel Blazer with the right gears might well be the ultimate weapon. Especially if combined with a roof tent. Such a pity the Vic Hickey's catalog is no longer available.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Explorer
If I have one consistant trait, it is that I am inconsistant when it comes to cars/trucks. Which is to say I don't feel I have given the early 4Runners a fair shake. I was looking at the gardener's truck here at work and I really like them. I have been a big Toyota fan for many, many years. I have owned a couple and they are phenominal. The 4Runner is smaller than the Blazer, but that cuts both ways. I think the Blazer would be more unique, at least here in LA where you can pick out the tourists in rental cars because they are the only domestic cars on the road. And a diesel would be REALLY nice.

So, anyone who wants to help me make up my mind, chime in!
We have a three/four way race right now between a Land Cruiser 60 or 80, a early 4Runner, or the military surplus Blazer. I don't do much rock crawling, I prefer long off road trips with my girlfriend and two big old dogs. It must ride decently to keep from beating up the dogs, but I'll be doing the springs/shocks on anything I get. Lastly, it must be reliable. I want to put at least 100K on it without having to rebuild the entire thing. I do plan on working on it, but I prefer preventative maintance over field repairs. Cost is a factor. I work for a non-profit and don't make a whole lot. I'd like to keep it under the $10-12K mark to get it trail ready (small shocks and springs lift, rear locker/or TruTrac LSD), winch, baseline, any repairs needed, tires (if needed), 24" chrome spinner rims.....or not.

The debate is on ..

P.S. just to salvage a little pride, earlier I posted that if I were to get the Blazer (diesel), I would go through the ignition. I say dumb things sometimes. It is sort of like a hobby of mine. I used to just DO dumb things, but I have become lazy in my old age.

Thanks everyone!
You're the only one that can decide which vehicle best meets your needs, but I'd like to comment on the 4Runner option. In my not-so-humble opinion, those 1st Gen 4Runners and the 86-95.5 trucks were hands-down the best of all the Toyota trucks. The chassis is fully boxed, unlike the later-model Tacomas. The steering linkage is far superior to the rack & pinion on later-model Tacomas. The spindles and hubs are MUCH beefier, and are servicable (unlike the unit-bearing Tacoma stuff). If you want a 4Runner-sized vehicle, I don't think you could do better than a 1st gen (well, you could do a 2.7L or 3.4L conversion). We built a 3.4L 1st Gen 4Runner and that's still my favorite of all our project vehicles. I wish I had started with one one those older trucks instead of building my Tacoma.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You're the only one that can decide which vehicle best meets your needs, but I'd like to comment on the 4Runner option. In my not-so-humble opinion, those 1st Gen 4Runners and the 86-95.5 trucks were hands-down the best of all the Toyota trucks. The chassis is fully boxed, unlike the later-model Tacomas. The steering linkage is far superior to the rack & pinion on later-model Tacomas. The spindles and hubs are MUCH beefier, and are servicable (unlike the unit-bearing Tacoma stuff). If you want a 4Runner-sized vehicle, I don't think you could do better than a 1st gen (well, you could do a 2.7L or 3.4L conversion). We built a 3.4L 1st Gen 4Runner and that's still my favorite of all our project vehicles. I wish I had started with one one those older trucks instead of building my Tacoma.
Yup... My 1St gen makes me smile EVERY time I start it up and go to drive it. Plus the more I tear into it, the more I like it, this thing is so over-built for it's size and GVW but that's why there are so many of them running around and why they're so desirable... I found mine for a steal from a friend and another friend thought he was going to buy it... we didn't talk for about a month he was so pissed I had bought "his truck"... well a few years later and nw we both have them and things are good again, I kind of miss having 4 doors and frankly I wish I would have had the 1KZ-t or even the 3.4 dropped in, but I still LOVE my little 22RE, it's just so damn sturdy it's easy to forgive how powerfull it is NOT... Anyhow back to the BLazer:

Go to the http://thedieselpage.com for the straight info on these engines. Don't let "internet lore" scare you unnecessarily.
Well, I stand corrected... We had a sander-truck when I worked at Timberline years ago, and frankly I hated that motor... Maybe with a Turbo on it, but even still, it's bigger than alot of diesel's of it's day and it was just plain gutless and frankly IMO you're wasting your money puting one in a truck unless you A) Do all the labor your self and B) have the motor already in hand and got it for FREE.... What I'm saying is that there are FAR better swap options that, if you're going to be paying moey for them, would make a better truck. The Cummins ISB motors are flat out some of the best diesel's ever made, in the world... The older 12V with mech. injection is flat out amazing if not a little heavy and tall. That said, if you're droping it into a FS Blazer then that engine bay will swallow alot of motor, it's not like you're dealing with my little tiny Toyota engine bay there...

I am interested however to hear that the 6.2 is not the motor I was thinking of... Thanks for the correction and link Root-Moose. If you ever want a diesel guru to go have a chat with head down to Homer and look up my uncle, Chris Ball... That man has forgotten more about diesel otors than I even know right now (wich ain't much apparently ;) HAHAHAHAHA )

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior